Michael White (La Tech)

So Hart wants someone who has three years HC experience but is promising, but doesn't want to be fair with his buyout. So the coach is walking into a 2 year rebuilding job with not a lot of protection and the risk of a career set back. Can't really blame Michael White here.

Reactions: 1 person
Get White, plays aggressive defensive scheme. Excellent pedigee. Young but experienced. Great recruiting success. All indications a winner..bite the bullet, pay the buyout (600,000) and get on with it

Last edited:
So Hart wants someone who has three years HC experience but is promising, but doesn't want to be fair with his buyout. So the coach is walking into a 2 year rebuilding job with not a lot of protection and the risk of a career set back. Can't really blame Michael White here.

I don't think that's accurate. Imo, the holdup is the possibility of White busting it to Ole Miss. I got a text yesterday saying "back off our next coach" from a former guard there and current oxford businessman. I know for a fact White has been contacted by people around the ole miss program that have wanted Kennedy gone for 3 years. I was told he is gone next year, barring something crazy heppening.
Just passing it along.

If salary and buyouts are the problem, Byrd or Howland would seem to be the answer. Both are proven winners. Neither are going anywhere if they get the Tennessee job. Howland has no buy out and Byrd's would be low. This is too easy! Go get one of these two coaches and let's start recruiting already!

I hate that this is all so public, but I don't blame Hart for taking a hard line in negotiations with a guy who is such an unproven commodity. I personally think he should have already introduced Howland as the new head coach, but if he's going to try and find a diamond in the rough, we shouldn't expect him to be mortgaging our future on someone with "potential" or we could be digging our financial hole even deeper.

Reactions: 3 people
Get White, plays aggressive defensive scheme. Excellent pedigee. Young but experienced. Great recruiting success. All indications a winner..bite the bullet, pay the buyout (600,000) and get on with it

The 600 grand has nothing to do with White making the move to UT. I'm not sure of much, but that I am.

I don't think that's accurate. Imo, the holdup is the possibility of White busting it to Ole Miss. I got a text yesterday saying "back off our next coach" from a former guard there and current oxford businessman. I know for a fact White has been contacted by people around the ole miss program that have wanted Kennedy gone for 3 years. I was told he is gone next year, barring something crazy heppening.
Just passing it along.

Wrong, they are waiting on Marshall Henderson to take the job

Just passing it along.

Everyone is saying the buyout is on the backend of the contract if we were to fire him, not if he was to bolt. He's wanting more security, not less.

Just passing it along.

If that's the case, we should move on, don't you think?

Everyone in this thread needs to understand that Hart is leaking what he wants to in this process. A lot of it could be that he's finding out who he can trust in the AD. Don't forget someone lost their job over leaking the Nike deal. The rest of what's coming out is calculated on his part and all part of the dance.

Reactions: 2 people
Everyone is saying the buyout is on the backend of the contract if we were to fire him, not if he was to bolt. He's wanting more security, not less.

that opinion is fine. I'm saying ole miss guys that write the checks have been in contact with White. That's all I know. Those guys are done with Kennedy.

If the reports are true that the buyout is post his second year then I can understand White's reluctance. If it's post his third year it is a little different. If by the fourth year he hasn't secured his place here where the buyout is a non-factor then buyout should be fairly low. It's not hard to turn a program around in three years in basketball. Whomever the new coach is will get three years regardless.

that opinion is fine. I'm saying ole miss guys that write the checks have been in contact with White. That's all I know. Those guys are done with Kennedy.

Understandable, and if that is true then good for Hart, we don't need to get Kiffened next year. It's seem unclear, but from what I've read and VQ had the specifics last night, it's that Hart isn't providing much financial security in years 3&4.

Nobody passes on UT in hopes that Ole Miss comes open in the future. Especially when we would likely more than double his salary.

I know he's an alum but he also has a brain.

The hold up has to be the security issue, not that he wants to make it easier to leave. Why would he care so much about that? He wouldn't be paying it. His potential suitor would pay it for him.

UT fans have such fragile egos.

above all else, no mater who we want Hart has to protect UT first and if it cost us white then so be it. If its something else thats silly then its pathetic.

Understandable, and if that is true then good for Hart, we don't need to get Kiffened next year. It's seem unclear, but from what I've read and VQ had the specifics last night, it's that Hart isn't providing much financial security in years 3&4.

If I'm Hart, I don't let VolNation know that the coach holds leverage. I put it out there that I hold leverage and the holdup is on our end.

Nobody knows really. 95% of info out there is guesswork.

Nobody passes on UT in hopes that Ole Miss comes open in the future. Especially when we would likely more than double his salary.

I know he's an alum but he also has a brain.

The hold up has to be the security issue, not that he wants to make it easier to leave. Why would he care so much about that? He wouldn't be paying it. His potential suitor would pay it for him.

UT fans have such fragile egos.

I think they go hand in hand. Both sides want to protect themselves, but White doesn't want to create a big buyout if OM does want him. In return, though, UT will not want a big one to fire him because you don't want one buyout being substantially different than the other.

I absolutely believe that OM could have an influence in his decision. Oxford is a special place for people who are from there or played there. Just has that kind of effect.

Everyone in this thread needs to understand that Hart is leaking what he wants to in this process. A lot of it could be that he's finding out who he can trust in the AD. Don't forget someone lost their job over leaking the Nike deal. The rest of what's coming out is calculated on his part and all part of the dance.

A very interesting point.

Get white, plays aggressive defensive scheme. Excellent pedigee. Young but experienced. Great recruiting success. All indications a winner..bite the bullet, pay the buyout (600,000) and get on with it

From everything I've read, he's recruited 2 and 3 stars (and a couple of no stars). He's apparently had a lot of success with mediocre talent, which is very much to his credit.

From everything I've read, he's recruited 2 and 3 stars (and a couple of no stars). He's apparently had a lot of success with mediocre talent, which is very much to his credit.

He was responsible for multiple top 25 classes while at Ole Miss, and this next class he has coming into LT is said to be the best they've ever had.

VN Store

Back