Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain

Picked this up on the cheap recently - been forever since I dug into a Konami game. I forgot how super cheesy they can be; this game is hilarious in places where comedy is unintended.

Calling the prologue mission "over the top" is a huge understatement; the amount of shyte you go through to escape that hospital is beyond ridiculous! They went straight to "ludicrous speed" on that one!

Overall I'm really enjoying it - graphics are beautiful, fighting is intense, and Japanese quirkiness is around every corner.

Last edited:
Overall I'm really enjoying it - graphics are beautiful, fighting is intense, and Japanese quirkiness is around every corner.

It has it's good features, but I got bored with it. I beat it, and beat it pretty thoroughly, but by the end of the game I wasn't looking forward to playing it. It was more of a "beat the game just to beat it" kind of deal.

yeah, I'm sure the novelty will wear off soon enough but the base and army building part seem like another way to keep you engaged.

Favorite quirk so far: Every main character has their own special pair of sunglasses which get their own introduction - complete with camera zoom-in and marquee lettering...wtf?!!

It has it's good features, but I got bored with it. I beat it, and beat it pretty thoroughly, but by the end of the game I wasn't looking forward to playing it. It was more of a "beat the game just to beat it" kind of deal.

Same here, except I haven't forced myself to do the last few missions. I think I burned myself out running the side ops trying to get the most out of the game before I finished it. One day I'll get bored and finish it.

After a while it just got too repetitive. Same areas just more enemies. And the microtransactions turned me off. No reason for the long wait time for upgrades other than money grab. I never messed with the online portion or the base attack/defense.

I got this for $25 last week for the Xbox One.

About how long is this game, is it a 40 hour one? I think I remember taking about 20 hours to get through Metal Gear Solid IV.

Just only slightly over the top, right? :)

Too bad the rest of the game is nothing like the prologue

Yeah, I play that and I'm amped up, then next thing I know some guy is dropping me off in the middle of nowhere in Afghanistan on a horse and tells me to go find our buddy. Talk about a buzzkill.

I didn't get too far into the game before selling it, but it's pretty darn easy to get OP quickly and just dominate. (which I guess is the point).

Fun game, just didn't have lasting appeal for me to put much time into it

So I'm finally sitting down and playing the game, and I played for an hour tonight. I'm still on the first missions and to be honest, the game is boring me. I've played every other Metal Gear game and though I've never cared for the controls, this game just isn't doing it for me.

The only thing going for the game is I literally have nothing else to play right now, but man I'm really having a hard time getting into this.

So I'm finally sitting down and playing the game, and I played for an hour tonight. I'm still on the first missions and to be honest, the game is boring me. I've played every other Metal Gear game and though I've never cared for the controls, this game just isn't doing it for me.

The only thing going for the game is I literally have nothing else to play right now, but man I'm really having a hard time getting into this.

I'm in that same boat with the Uncharted series right now. I decided to finally get into it. I beat 1 and 2 and now I'm on 3, I can play it for about 5-10 minutes at a time and I turn it off. Just boring.

MGSV does get a good bit better later in the game. Some of the missions are genuinely terrific and a lot of fun. You'll get into it more when it gets a bit more difficult as well.

I'm in that same boat with the Uncharted series right now. I decided to finally get into it. I beat 1 and 2 and now I'm on 3, I can play it for about 5-10 minutes at a time and I turn it off. Just boring.

MGSV does get a good bit better later in the game. Some of the missions are genuinely terrific and a lot of fun. You'll get into it more when it gets a bit more difficult as well.

I wish I could get past 30 minutes of an Uncharted without being bored too. I hear several MGS 1-4 diehard friends that didn't care for the direction of Ground Zeroes and 5, but it looks like it could be fun. I thought Ground Zeroes was cool. You could be stealthy like the old ones or guns blazing if you wanted.

I wish I could get past 30 minutes of an Uncharted without being bored too. I hear several MGS 1-4 diehard friends that didn't care for the direction of Ground Zeroes and 5, but it looks like it could be fun. I thought Ground Zeroes was cool. You could be stealthy like the old ones or guns blazing if you wanted.

I have both Ground Zeros and Phantom Pain. I played a Ground Zeroes when it came out and got extremely bored. Hoping to give them another go and hope for the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I decided to give it another go Saturday and I actually did better the second time. I've done about 7 missions and 2 side ops now. So it did get better for me.

The Side Ops on this game can get addicting.

They can, but then they can get equally as repetitive and boring. I did too many too often thinking I would be missing out on something if I finished all the campaign missions.

Burned me out completely. Go to the same area several times and the only difference is more enemies. If the campaign story was better or more engrossing maybe it would have been different.

They can, but then they can get equally as repetitive and boring. I did too many too often thinking I would be missing out on something if I finished all the campaign missions.

Burned me out completely. Go to the same area several times and the only difference is more enemies. If the campaign story was better or more engrossing maybe it would have been different.

Yeah, 2 days later I'm finding them to be repetitive.

They are basically like 10 categories of them and they just keep repeating, with some important side ops mixed in. Some of them are fun, quick ones, like destroying the tanks, but others get tiring.

So I finished the main storyline of the game. I got the first ending, then the Quiet ending, then the "real" ending. It's out there but then again, it's Metal Gear, it's always had crazy story lines.

I still don't like that David Hayter wasn't brought back to voice Boss. I like Keifer Sutherland but he really didn't do it for me here.

VN Store

Back