Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain

Playing through this now, but having a hard time getting into it. Not sure why really. Im going to stick with it though. Trying to get through this before SW: Battlefront and Fallout release.

Playing through this now, but having a hard time getting into it. Not sure why really. Im going to stick with it though. Trying to get through this before SW: Battlefront and Fallout release.

Have you played the series before? What games do you typically play? Yes, Fallout can't get here soon enough.

Have you played the series before? What games do you typically play? Yes, Fallout can't get here soon enough.

Oh yes, Ive played them all. I just started though, honestly. Need to give it more time. I think I'm just so geared up for Fallout that I'm not giving it a chance.

Oh yes, Ive played them all. I just started though, honestly. Need to give it more time. I think I'm just so geared up for Fallout that I'm not giving it a chance.

I hear ya, I've done the same. It really is an incredible game with a ton to do though. But it is a very westernized MGS.

Loving the game so far. Looking forward to getting access to some new weapons. I'm guessing upgrading Mother Base is going to be a time consuming resource hunt.

Not sure how everyone else is playing, but I'm doing all I can to avoid detection. A little challenging when I find an enemy I'd like to Fulton to Mother Base, but he's surrounded with more enemies. I can see myself having another playthrough when I'm finished. Long way to go though.

Here I was praising the game and now I find this

Microtransactions to buy insurance to protect your FOB from from attacks by other players:

Your FOBs are always at risk of coming under attack. Now, you can rest easy with FOB insurance (paid service). If you sign up for insurance, then during the insurance period you will be compensated for any materials and staff lost due to rival infiltrations.

* Staff/materials stolen by the rival will in fact remain on your base, and an identical amount of staff/materials will be handed over to the rival instead.

* MB Coins are purchased with real money, but free MB Coins are also distributed periodically as login bonuses, etc.

* The following are not covered by FOB insurance:

・Staff/items that are not fully your property, such as abducted staff being held in your Brig (FOB)

・Wounded staff (staff lost due to death or extraction will be compensated)

・Staff used by you to deploy in defense of the FOB (neither death nor extraction will be compensated)

・Nuclear weapons

Konami Goes Microtransaction Crazy with Metal Gear Solid V...Insurance [Update]

So you're forced into FOB missions? I just want to play the campaign for now. Why is my stuff up for grabs by other players?

It's like they did this just to put in a microtransaction.

Here I was praising the game and now I find this

Microtransactions to buy insurance to protect your FOB from from attacks by other players:

Konami Goes Microtransaction Crazy with Metal Gear Solid V...Insurance [Update]

So you're forced into FOB missions? I just want to play the campaign for now. Why is my stuff up for grabs by other players?

It's like they did this just to put in a microtransaction.

Yeah, Konami is all about microtransactions now that they're focusing on mobile gaming. People will pay for them so they'll keep shoveling them to us. I think Destiny is adding them soon too. You can buy insurance for your base with in-game money, so the microtransactions aren't required.

I enjoy the idea of protecting your base and being invaded by other players. It's very Dark Soulsish.

Yeah, Konami is all about microtransactions now that they're focusing on mobile gaming. People will pay for them so they'll keep shoveling them to us. I think Destiny is adding them soon too. You can buy insurance for your base with in-game money, so the microtransactions aren't required.

I enjoy the idea of protecting your base and being invaded by other players. It's very Dark Soulsish.

I'm not against it, I just wish it's something you could choose to participate in or opt out.

I'm happy playing the campaign for now. When I think of MGS that's what I thought I was buying. Not a MGS Clash of Clans.

I'm not against it, I just wish it's something you could choose to participate in or opt out.

I'm happy playing the campaign for now. When I think of MGS that's what I thought I was buying. Not a MGS Clash of Clans.

Haha very true. It should be optional. Hell, Dark Souls lets you play "offline" mode to avoid invasions, and it is one of the least accommodating games ever.

With all the technology of metal gear, why does it take so long to get from one part of your mother base to another?

Even hopping in a jeep and driving is boring.

Also having to call the chopper in to actually accept a mission is kinda lame.

Love almost everything else about this game.

With all the technology of metal gear, why does it take so long to get from one part of your mother base to another?

Even hopping in a jeep and driving is boring.

Also having to call the chopper in to actually accept a mission is kinda lame.

Love almost everything else about this game.

I have no explanation for that besides Kojima marches to the beat of his own drum when it comes to weird, innovative, and sometimes frustrating game designs. He doesn't give a damn, it's his way or no way.

In the first Metal Gear Solid you spoke to your central command and others via Codex and one particular person's codex number was told to you in a wall of text, and if you didn't pay attention or skipped the conversation, your only way of finding the number was to look at the art on the back of the physical game case. Who the hell knew to do that?? Not me, especially in 1998 pre easily accessible internet.

video game....insurance?? smh

We old timers call it the "save" button.

I played a friend of mine's the other day and while I enjoyed the mechanics and a ton of the features in the game, the over sexualization of the character "Quiet" is just beyond ridiculous. I know Metal Gear has always had this sort of "tongue and cheek" approach to sexual content but it's honestly gotten too ridiculous IMO. I felt the same way about The Witcher 3. At some point this industry has got to grow up and stop trying to appease the basement-dwelling 20-something virgins with Cheeto dust on their zippers!

Last edited:
I played a friend of mine's the other day and while I enjoyed the mechanics and a ton of the features in the game, the over sexualization of the character "Quiet" is just beyond ridiculous. I know Metal Gear has always had this sort of "tongue and cheek" approach to sexual content but it's honestly gotten too ridiculous IMO. I felt the same way about The Witcher 3. At some point this industry has got to grow up and stop trying to appease the basement-dwelling 20-something virgins with Cheeto dust on their zippers!

I agree that it is awkward at times, but as video games are art, like books, film, and television, I don't see it any differently than those mediums exploring (or even exploiting) sex. Nudity and overly sexualized women are all in Game of Thrones, but it is an incredible book and television series.

Reactions: 2 people

Hey now, don't speak unkindly about the women of Witcher 3!! :boobies:

Reactions: 1 person
I'm probably going to pick this up for the XBone after Christmas, since it's down to $40 new at GameStop and I'll have plenty of cash/gift cards to cover it.

why did i never scroll past the football to see the gaming i'l never know but,Just finished this game up a few days ago. I'm a lil late to the party but WOW what a game. The story was a bit of a letdown but the gameplay graphics and overall feel of the game is probably the greatest i have ever seen honestly

In the first Metal Gear Solid you spoke to your central command and others via Codex and one particular person's codex number was told to you in a wall of text, and if you didn't pay attention or skipped the conversation, your only way of finding the number was to look at the art on the back of the physical game case. Who the hell knew to do that?? Not me, especially in 1998 pre easily accessible internet.

and can't forget the " Hey, Snake! Try swapping the controller into controller port 2, so Psycho Mantis can't read your mind!"

Lol.

and can't forget the " Hey, Snake! Try swapping the controller into controller port 2, so Psycho Mantis can't read your mind!"

Lol.

That was awesome. Especially if you had other Konmai gave saves on your memory card he would name them. I had Symphony of the Night and he said "I see you like to play Castlevania!"

That was awesome. Especially if you had other Konmai gave saves on your memory card he would name them. I had Symphony of the Night and he said "I see you like to play Castlevania!"

that's cool... wish I played castlevania back in the day. The only exposure I ever had to it was Circle of the Moon on game boy advance. Which was pretty good.

that's cool... wish I played castlevania back in the day. The only exposure I ever had to it was Circle of the Moon on game boy advance. Which was pretty good.

I think we had a Castlevania thread a while back.

Not to hijack the thread, but I'm still a pretty big fan of the Castlevania series, though the 3D games have been mostly meh. The original NES games are classics, and can be brutal.

I think we had a Castlevania thread a while back.

Not to hijack the thread, but I'm still a pretty big fan of the Castlevania series, though the 3D games have been mostly meh. The original NES games are classics, and can be brutal.

Games in general were much more brutal back then. Today's generation is sissified by the easiness of modern games.

I may actually start a thread about that. I wonder if it bothers anyone else as much as it bothers me.

Games in general were much more brutal back then. Today's generation is sissified by the easiness of modern games.

I may actually start a thread about that. I wonder if it bothers anyone else as much as it bothers me.

The old Nes games could be brutal beyond belief. Mega man akways had timing jumps and if u fell u died.

Games today are a breeze and meant to be beaten.
The first castlevania was damn hard. Once u got to Frankenstein level it was off the charts.

VN Store

Back