Memphis Recruits

Can we quit it with the constant Memphis vs Tennessee angle in every thread? People practically invent reasons to compare the two and argue themselves blue in the face.

We don't need to give them (Memphis fans) reasons to further invade this board.

Reactions: 1 person
Can we quit it with the constant Memphis vs Tennessee angle in every thread? People practically invent reasons to compare the two and argue themselves blue in the face.

We don't need to give them (Memphis fans) reasons to further invade this board.

I don't understand why the mods allow rational to continue to post here, he's clearly a troll, an admitted liar, and brings NOTHING to this board.

Reactions: 3 people
looking at all CCM recruits, I can't see any that Memphis has or would recruit.

3 - 0 though.

no UM offer to Cofer, but 3 - 0 does sound familiar...

Pastner
--------
Martin

Austin was a good get for the Vols....
and for the record, Rational Thinker is an oxymoron.

He could be a better recruiter no doubt about that. Pastner has a built in recruiting advantage in the hotbed of Memphis. Take him out of Memphis to somewhere else in another conference and certainly Martin could be considered a better recruiter. Add to that Pastner's development of top flight talent is mediocre if not bad. Yes Martin could be considered a better recruiter sure!!! :good!:

not sure if serious..... No one in this country (except for maybe you) actually believes CCM is a better recruiter than CJP.

National recruiter

Really Bravo, i've always thought of you as the unbiased type. Here are some of the guys CJP has landed outside of Shelby County, I would love to see how CCM's list stacks up.

Pastner guys:

W. Barton 5* (MD)
Goodwin 4* (GA)
Iverson 4* (VA)
Powell 4* (FL)
Woodson 4* (WV) Prep
G. Johnson 4* (KS)
Wilson 3* (VA)
Kendrick 4* (GA)
DJ Stephens 2* (TX)

Really Bravo, i've always thought of you as the unbiased type. Here are some of the guys CJP has landed outside of Shelby County, I would love to see how CCM's list stacks up.

Pastner guys:

W. Barton 5* (MD)
Goodwin 4* (GA)
Iverson 4* (VA)
Powell 4* (FL)
Woodson 4* (WV) Prep
G. Johnson 4* (KS)
Wilson 3* (VA)
Kendrick 4* (GA)
DJ Stephens 2* (TX)

Martin's guys outside of Knox county:

Stokes 5*
Hubbs 5*
Austin 4*
Cornish 3*
Cofer 3*
Richardson 3*
Thompson 3*
Moore 3*
Barton 3*

I rest my case, and two of those prospects listed aren't considered national.................

How do you, rest your case? That list stacks up pretty damn similarly to Pastner's.

And I'm sorry, but 8 hours away seems pretty much "national" to me, recruits Georgia is closer to home cookin' than Memphis.

How do you, rest your case? That list stacks up pretty damn similarly to Pastner's.

And I'm sorry, but 8 hours away seems pretty much "national" to me, recruits Georgia is closer to home cookin' than Memphis.

Guys located within the state aren't considered national... C"mon BTO you really are reaching......

BTW how are the lists remotely similar?

I rest my case, and two of those prospects listed aren't considered national.................

Well say what you want but just how far has Pastner gone in the tournament with all that so-called 5 star talent? Who has he beaten with the 5-star talent other than Martin(I'll give him that)? Is he putting all of this wonderful talent consistently in the NBA like Cal does? Could he recruit and develop talent if he didn't coach at Memphis where its all in his backyard? Well we know he can't develop it. All of these questions have me wondering why you think its a slam dunk that he is a better recruiter than Martin!!

Reactions: 1 person
Well say what you want but just how far has Pastner gone in the tournament with all that so-called 5 star talent? Who has he beaten with the 5-star talent other than Martin(I'll give him that)? Is he putting all of this wonderful talent consistently in the NBA like Cal does? Could he recruit and develop talent if he didn't coach at Memphis where its all in his backyard? Well we know he can't develop it. All of these questions have me wondering why you think its a slam dunk that he is a better recruiter than Martin!!

Are we comparing CJP to CCM or to Cal? It's also proven that CJP is a better recruiter than CCM.

Are we comparing CJP to CCM or to Cal? It's also proven that CJP is a better recruiter than CCM.

Look on paper (where you think the game is played) yes Pastner's classes outrank Martin's to this point. Less we forget that Martin inherited a mess and Pastner had 2 full years of a recruiting head start on Martin. But on the court Martin has beaten 6 teams ranked in the Top 25 and Pastner has yet to beat one (not counting little St Mary's thats not a count). So on the court where the game is played I haven't seen any sign that Pastner is out recruiting anyone except for all the teams in Conference USA!!!! But on paper yes he is recruiting fantastically. But on the court he hasn't beaten anyone with those recruits. So I don't know if Pastner is a better recruiter or not. He needs to show it on the court then we will decide. Go Big Orange!! And BTW on a side not Martin got a PG Memphis wanted today. Ha!!

Guys located within the state aren't considered national... C"mon BTO you really are reaching......

Well...they would be similar if he used the ESPN rankings since Cofer and Cornish are 4 stars there, but I don't know how much stock I put in them.

I would say their out of county recruiting lists are somewhat close. I realize that Pastner does not have to look out of county to build an okay to great team if he doesn't want to. On the other hand, he also had 2 extra years to build relationships and (afaik) didn't have anything like the insecurity of the Pearl debacle in his first year. I would say the former argument beats out the latter making Pastner a better recruiter currently, but I think Martin will surpass him if he has good tournament success (in a program on equal footing recruiting-wise, anyway).

Last edited:
Well...they would be similar if he used the ESPN rankings since Cofer and Cornish are 4 stars there, but I don't know how much stock I put in them.

neither player is a consensus 4*; Scout, rivals, and 247 list them as 3*. People also have to remember that CJP had to start from scratch after Cal decided to take his recruiting class to UK with him. CCM has some momentum but he is yet to sniff a NCAA tournament and this season is a boom or bust for the Vol's.

neither player is a consensus 4*; Scout, rivals, and 247 list them as 3*. People also have to remember that CJP had to start from scratch after Cal decided to take his recruiting class to UK with him. CCM has some momentum but he is yet to sniff a NCAA tournament and this season is a boom or bust for the Vol's.

Would have to think Pastner and Memphis are in about the same spot. As well as Pastner has done recruiting, they don't hand out trophys for recruiting. No excuse for Pastner not to have this years Memphis team in the sweet 16 with the talent they have.

Pastner can and will keep any recruit inside the I-240 loop. Any other place in the Memphis metro area including Jackson, Bolivar, Dyersburg, etc is fair game.

Hubbs had an offer from Duke. I would say that is national. Thompson wasn't necessarily a national recruit.

VN Store

Back