Memphis may get penalized for removing Confederate statues

You don't see a problem with a commissioner selling himself a very expensive property for pennies....I can't help ya then Tom.....
Van Turner is a very successful lawyer and partner in Memphis at Hagler, Bruce, and Turner. There are also other involved in the nonprofit. Seems like you're the one that needs educating.

Van Turner is a very successful lawyer and partner in Memphis at Hagler, Bruce, and Turner. There are also other involved in the nonprofit. Seems like you're the one that needs educating.

Nothing more dangerous.....

I know him and his firm well.....they certainly could afford to pay the city a fair price and not hide behind MLK anniversary to rip off the people....

Reactions: 1 person
I know him and his firm well.....they certainly could afford to pay the city a fair price and not hide behind MLK anniversary to rip off the people....
Sure you do. Why don't you say what's really on your mind? Your true intentions aren't very opaque.

Sure you do. Why don't you say what's really on your mind? Your true intentions aren't very opaque.

Reading comp not your strong suit huh....I am being very clear....you are the one looking for some hidden meaning that is not there....

Riddle me this..... why does this nonprofit need to own the property to keep it up and make it a better park for the people?

A politician that's also an attorney, not a good combination for the good of the people.

A politician that's also an attorney, not a good combination for the good of the people.

I agree the deal looks shady as heck. Imagine the Fed selling Haslam a few hundred acres for a song. There would be a different time by some on here.

I agree the deal looks shady as heck. Imagine the Fed selling Haslam a few hundred acres for a song. There would be a different time by some on here.

I could give a rat's ass about the statues, that's not the issue

Reactions: 5 people
Just curious, but if the goal was to get around the state law requiring the preservation of Confederate statues on public lands, why didn't the city just sell the land to the non-profit, the non-profit remove the statues, and then sell it back to the city?

Reactions: 2 people
Bingo. It’s easily my favorite period when it comes to military history. I think the same thought process could be applied here. The Jewish descendants in Poland would not welcome a statue of Himmler anywhere in that country. That’s not really an exact comparison to the situation we have with our own civil war but we do have American citizens that are descendants of slaves. We have to put ourself in their shoes and understand that they still see monuments like this and I don’t blame anyone for wanting them to come down or have an alteration.

It’s not about people being snowflakes and being offended by everything. It’s more about doing what’s right and having the decency to respect our fellow Americans. That includes confederate soldiers and I would certainly want to pay respect to them in the proper way. Much like I understand the millions of German soldiers that fought for their country and not some twisted ideology.

what about the natives? No president should have a statue if we are virtue signaling.

Grant was a genocidal sob when it came to dealing with the natives, its how he made his name and came to the attention of the Lincoln.

he even continued once he became president. Ulysses S. Grant Launched an Illegal War Against the Plains Indians, Then Lied About It
|
History | Smithsonian

look at what Lincoln did to Irish in the Civil War.
What Roosevelt did to the Japanese Americans in WWII.

the list goes on and on. selective criticism due to the color of the victims in this scenario.

Reactions: 4 people
what about the natives? No president should have a statue if we are virtue signaling.

Grant was a genocidal sob when it came to dealing with the natives, its how he made his name and came to the attention of the Lincoln.

he even continued once he became president. Ulysses S. Grant Launched an Illegal War Against the Plains Indians, Then Lied About It
|
History | Smithsonian

look at what Lincoln did to Irish in the Civil War.
What Roosevelt did to the Japanese Americans in WWII.

the list goes on and on. selective criticism due to the color of the victims in this scenario.

Dilly...Dilly....

Just curious, but if the goal was to get around the state law requiring the preservation of Confederate statues on public lands, why didn't the city just sell the land to the non-profit, the non-profit remove the statues, and then sell it back to the city?

This was never about the statues....I am in the recreation/athletic equipment industry...there are legit non-profits that would have paid fair value and turn the parks into sports complexes if given the chance to bid....this group did not exist 6 months ago...can you say "opportunitistic".....

Reactions: 3 people
Well T Town it sounds like you should have purchased the property then. You could have kept the statues or even put them in your living room if you wanted.

It wasn't made available to anyone except a single non profit that was created a month before the sale by a county commissioner.

You'd think that a city with tremendous financial problems would try to do something that actually benefits the citizens of the city instead of give everyone some good feels.

It wasn't made available to anyone except a single non profit that was created a month before the sale by a county commissioner.

You'd think that a city with tremendous financial problems would try to do something that actually benefits the citizens of the city instead of give everyone some good feels.

They don't call it the "Memphis Mafia" for no reason....

So Jewish people shouldn’t be offended by a statue of a German general that possibly murdered their descendants? That’s what emotional frailty is these days?

To even in jest, compare a statue of a Confederate general to that of a Nazi is on a level of stupid that is beyond belief.

Reactions: 3 people

the funny thing is that even after the white mayor publicly pattes himself on the back over this tactic, he still got booed when he took the stage at the MLK #50 anniversary downtown

Why didn't they auction the land to create funds for their bicentennial instead of expecting the rest of TN to pay for it?

VN Store

Back