Memphis may get penalized for removing Confederate statues

So should we have statues of slave masters raping women and the KKK lynching black men so we can remember good things?

That's an absurd takeaway from his post. To me, it means really despicable things happened as part of our collective history. Having monuments which celebrate our nobility as well as our depravity helps us contextualize where we've come from, the strides we've made, and the sacrifices given.

Reactions: 2 people
That's an absurd takeaway from his post. To me, it means really despicable things happened as part of our collective history. Having monuments which celebrate our nobility as well as our depravity helps us contextualize where we've come from, the strides we've made, and the sacrifices given.

Then have the statues specifically state that fact and everyone is on the same page.

Guessing seems to be your problem....

Where do we go from here? Could you put your thoughts into more words?

Sounds like we both have opinions. I’m trying to state my mindset on the issue and I am open to changes in my opinions

Where do we go from here? Could you put your thoughts into more words?

Sounds like we both have opinions. I’m trying to state my mindset on the issue and I am open to changes in my opinions

What exactly did the statues say on them?

Then have the statues specifically state that fact and everyone is on the same page.

Im fine with that. I don't have to agree with the person memorialized to appreciate the historic value.

I find WW2 history fascinating. The Nazi army was incredibly innovative. I certainly don't support genocide.

Reactions: 1 person
Im fine with that. I don't have to agree with the person memorialized to appreciate the historic value.

I find WW2 history fascinating. The Nazi army was incredibly innovative. I certainly don't support genocide.

Bingo. It’s easily my favorite period when it comes to military history. I think the same thought process could be applied here. The Jewish descendants in Poland would not welcome a statue of Himmler anywhere in that country. That’s not really an exact comparison to the situation we have with our own civil war but we do have American citizens that are descendants of slaves. We have to put ourself in their shoes and understand that they still see monuments like this and I don’t blame anyone for wanting them to come down or have an alteration.

It’s not about people being snowflakes and being offended by everything. It’s more about doing what’s right and having the decency to respect our fellow Americans. That includes confederate soldiers and I would certainly want to pay respect to them in the proper way. Much like I understand the millions of German soldiers that fought for their country and not some twisted ideology.

Last edited:
Bingo. It’s easily my favorite period when it comes to military history. I think the same thought process could be applied here. The Jewish descendants in Poland would not welcome a statue of Himmler anywhere in that country. That’s not really an exact comparison to the situation we have with our own civil war but we do have American citizens that are descendants of slaves. We have to put ourself in their shoes and understand that they still see monuments like this and I don’t blame anyone for wanting them to come down or have an alteration.

It’s not about people being snowflakes and being offended by everything. It’s more about doing what’s right and having the decency to respect our fellow Americans. That includes confederate soldiers and I would certainly want to pay respect to them in the proper way. Much like I understand the millions of German soldiers that fought for their country and not some twisted ideology.

Same. Except I feel badly that Germany has erased all references to that period of their history. They sacrificed men, women and children in a war many were forced to fight in. Those sacrifices should be memorialized. Especially since they lost the war.

The concentration camps, while nauseating, serve to remind us what barbarism we're capable of.

Back to Memphis, we should display statues of peopke like Robert Smalls alongside Confederate "heros".

Why you afraid to express your point? Weird.

Your comment did not address the issue of the multi-million dollar property being sold for pennies on the dollar to get statues, that offend a minority of people, removed....not to mention the ongoing upkeep of the parks, is the NO going to do it or are the tax payers still on the hook for that???
It is not a "non-issue"....but, once again, you knew that or just admit you are uneducated on the subject....

So should we have statues of slave masters raping women and the KKK lynching black men so we can remember good things?

Lol. And here is one of the major problems with society these days. So sad, but not surprising. The emotional frailty of some people these days is astounding.

Reactions: 6 people
Your comment did not address the issue of the multi-million dollar property being sold for pennies on the dollar to get statues, that offend a minority of people, removed....not to mention the ongoing upkeep of the parks, is the NO going to do it or are the tax payers still on the hook for that???
It is not a "non-issue"....but, once again, you knew that or just admit you are uneducated on the subject....

Well T Town it sounds like you should have purchased the property then. You could have kept the statues or even put them in your living room if you wanted.

Lol. And here is one of the major problems with society these days. So sad, but not surprising. The emotional frailty of some people these days is astounding.

So Jewish people shouldn’t be offended by a statue of a German general that possibly murdered their descendants? That’s what emotional frailty is these days?

Well T Town it sounds like you should have purchased the property then. You could have kept the statues or even put them in your living room if you wanted.

Where did I say that the statues should have stayed?
You still have not answered my question.....exactly what DID the statues say on them?

It's a nonprofit that are going to be buying parks around the city to better maintain them. Sounds like a good plan to me.

Greenspace, the Group that Bought the Parks, Took the Confederate Statues Down | News Blog

Memphis Greenspace

Skeeter d**ks are boundlessly abundant.....

1u968o.jpg

VN Store

Back