Memphis may get penalized for removing Confederate statues

Totally misrepresented what I was saying, which seems to be a common tactic of yours. Does getting rid of Confederate statues change history? Those statues still represent significant events that happened. Do you believe in burning books to? After all, not all books are pleasant and just serve as painful reminders of the past.

It's not about celebrating or supporting the evil things that happened. It's remembering they did happen and committing to not letting them happen again.

Also, please stop being so idiotic.

So Weezer to continue your thought line, I have to ask this of the general liberal population. If we continue to wipe away Confederate History, does that mean slavery will eventually never have happened? If slavery never happened that would really get rid of a lot of issues that plague this country. I agree with you, just because you take down a statue, it doesn't change history. But if they want it to, then we need to just decide slavery never happened. Next it will be that the Holocaust never happened, although, they are trying really hard on that one already.

Reactions: 1 person
MO put it a bit more succinctly than I did.

You both did good. The biggest error when judging history is to judge by today's standards and customs what happened years, decades, or centuries ago. Right, wrong, or otherwise all those people, decisions, trials and tribulations made us who we are today.

Reactions: 2 people
So Weezer to continue your thought line, I have to ask this of the general liberal population. If we continue to wipe away Confederate History, does that mean slavery will eventually never have happened? If slavery never happened that would really get rid of a lot of issues that plague this country. I agree with you, just because you take down a statue, it doesn't change history. But if they want it to, then we need to just decide slavery never happened. Next it will be that the Holocaust never happened, although, they are trying really hard on that one already.

And what you don't remember tends happen again.

Well T Town it sounds like you should have purchased the property then. You could have kept the statues or even put them in your living room if you wanted.

I wasn't offered the property. I would have given them $2k per parcel.

See how that stupid **** works?

So Jewish people shouldn’t be offended by a statue of a German general that possibly murdered their descendants? That’s what emotional frailty is these days?

How can there be a statue of someone from WWII that murdered said peoples descendants? Can you explain that math?

Van Turner is a very successful lawyer and partner in Memphis at Hagler, Bruce, and Turner. There are also other involved in the nonprofit. Seems like you're the one that needs educating.

So you are OK with selling me ANWAR for a couple hundred bucks and some beads?

Like it or not, the confederacy was traitorous to the union and those confederate states are still part of the union today.

Let me ask you these questions along those lines.

Is the Constitution and admittance into the United States a suicide pact?

Why are there procedures for admittance to the United States, but no method to allow a State to remove itself?

Do you believe Texas vs White was accurate in its ruling?

Considering the Texas vs White ruling, if States are not allowed to secede from the Union, how is West Virginia a State and why was it admitted into the Union as a State in 1863?

Furthermore, doesn't that ruling still technically make Texas part of Mexico since States are not allowed to secede from a parent nation?

Reactions: 2 people
Wanna bet that if cotton could have been grown in the north that slavery wouldn't have been an issue, or that tariffs and embargoes instigated by northern states just might have inflamed the issues.

Skadoosh.

So if a marker is a little too flashy - a little to politically insensitive to some people, it's going to be OK to desecrate graves by removing markers now? Kinda makes you wonder about the northern markers scattered around Chattanooga. You brought up a very good point - something not considered before, but how long before Confederate cemeteries offend people? Better to leave history as is rather than fight it all over again.

I'm telling you, I am waiting for the change history and it didn't happen morons to write slavery out of history. Man will that be the day!

I'm telling you, I am waiting for the change history and it didn't happen morons to write slavery out of history. Man will that be the day!

Imagine, if something never happened, then it couldn't have affected ancestors and it couldn't have affected anyone today.

H. G. Wells was just working way to hard; revisionism is so much easier and has been pretty well perfected by writers of history texts. Wars are now just condensed into a few bullets - no messy treatises on the hows and whys ... or unwanted facts.

The city and non-profit organization are trying to place the Forrest statue elsewhere to preserve whatever historical context some may see in it.

The statue is a celebration of the man & soldier gifted to the City of Memphis by private parties who were interested in doing so. There is not a historical reference to slavery tied to it nor was its stated intent to educate people about slavery. The government did not commission or pay for its creation but did accept it as a gift. There was not one mention of the words slave or slavery during its dedication.

How exactly do you tie losing the history & knowledge of slavery to this statue with all of those facts?

The city and non-profit organization are trying to place the Forrest statue elsewhere to preserve whatever historical context some may see in it.

The statue is a celebration of the man & soldier gifted to the City of Memphis by private parties who were interested in doing so. There is not a historical reference to slavery tied to it nor was its stated intent to educate people about slavery. The government did not commission or pay for its creation but did accept it as a gift. There was not one mention of the words slave or slavery during its dedication.

How exactly do you tie losing the history & knowledge of slavery to this statue with all of those facts?

Tree, one day you will see the forest.

VN Store

Back