Meltdown over the new O.C.

Questions for the sunshine pumpers:

1. It's been asked before, but again: Why has DeBord been out of coaching for 2 yrs? Why has he received no offers during that time?

Your credibility is shot when you flat out make stuff up.

There are more stupid excuses NOT to hire the guy being thrown around than good excuses.

"Buddy system"? Isn't Butch buddies with Peyton? You don't know how extensive Butch's "buddy system" is.

You don't want him hired because you've never heard of him...fine...but stop with the lame excuses. I'm guessing most on here couldn't name more than 5 OCs outside of the SEC if they had to.

Reactions: 1 person
rewarding old buds, rather than searching high and low for the best possible candidate.

Is seems that the best possible candidate is no longer available to us since he just left to take that Tampa Bay Bucks job. If this is not true then Butch lied the first time around when he said he brought in the best staff in America (which presumably would have included Bajakian as best OC in America).

Is seems that the best possible candidate is no longer available to us since he just left to take that Tampa Bay Bucks job. If this is not true then Butch lied the first time around when he said he brought in the best staff in America (which presumably would have included Bajakian as best OC in America).

Calling Butch a Liar won't earn you any likes!

Calling Butch a Liar won't earn you any likes!

I don't worry about likes, or I would not be known around here as one of biggest Dooley defenders. :)
But I support Butch as well - especially recruiting and enthusiasm he brought to fan base. Just hate his offense - this search for OC will probably confirm that this is really his preferred offense and he will just bring in another yes man to do what he wants. However, results so far at UT as well as results at his previous stops do not support the argument this offense will ever bring us back to glory days some of us still remember from good old CPF days.

I don't worry about likes, or I would not be known around here as one of biggest Dooley defenders. :)
But I support Butch as well - especially recruiting and enthusiasm he brought to fan base. Just hate his offense - this search for OC will probably confirm that this is really his preferred offense and he will just bring in another yes man to do what he wants. However, results so far at UT as well as results at his previous stops do not support the argument this offense will ever bring us back to glory days some of us still remember from good old CPF days.

Getting the very best athletes will bring the Vol's back to the glory days... not Butch's new OC, who ever that may be...

Getting the very best athletes will bring the Vol's back to the glory days... not Butch's new OC, who ever that may be...

I hope you are right but will believe it when I see it. What concerns me is that Butch seems to have similar system/approach to Kelly and even though he has been at ND for a while and has all his players by now (highly recruited) that offense is still inconsistent and not all that impressive - often stalls vs elite competition. I for example don't think that type of offense will ever consistently win against very fast/athletic SEC defenses (UF and Ole Miss being perfect examples this year). But I hope I'm wrong or else Butch will be out and we will have another long painful rebuilding ahead of us.

:cray:Tennessee could win a NC every year and this site would still be full of cry babies looking for attention:cray::cray::cray::cray::cray:

Reactions: 4 people
Deboard has won a National Championship as a OC..Right? yes it was over ten years ago,but the man can coach apparently

Last edited:
Deboard has won a National Championship as a OC..Right? yes it was over ten years ago,but the man can coach apparently

Check his record after that at Central Michigan when he was HC (and I think I read somewhere Butch was on his offensive staff around that time as well). He posted a 12-34 record there resigning after the 2003 season. Ugly to say the least - so no wonder quite a few people feel a little uncomfortable if he becomes our OC.

Check his record after that at Central Michigan when he was HC (and I think I read somewhere Butch was on his offensive staff around that time as well). He posted a 12-34 record there resigning after the 2003 season. Ugly to say the least - so no wonder quite a few people feel a little uncomfortable if he becomes our OC.
You're not pumping the requisite amount of sunshine.....sunshine. :)

Reactions: 2 people
Found a new toy ...good thing you got that motion down pat. :)

I hope you are right but will believe it when I see it. What concerns me is that Butch seems to have similar system/approach to Kelly and even though he has been at ND for a while and has all his players by now (highly recruited) that offense is still inconsistent and not all that impressive - often stalls vs elite competition. I for example don't think that type of offense will ever consistently win against very fast/athletic SEC defenses (UF and Ole Miss being perfect examples this year). But I hope I'm wrong or else Butch will be out and we will have another long painful rebuilding ahead of us.

I think you raise some legit questions and it is a shame we can't discuss it on VolNation without it degenerating into name calling. I do believe you better be 3 deep with athletic qbs like the o. Keeping my fingers crossed that Dobbs stays healthy. Hoping with better rbs and improving o line he doesn't have to run as much perhaps.

I think you raise some legit questions and it is a shame we can't discuss it on VolNation without it degenerating into name calling. I do believe you better be 3 deep with athletic qbs like the o. Keeping my fingers crossed that Dobbs stays healthy. Hoping with better rbs and improving o line he doesn't have to run as much perhaps.

I think the OL had Dobbs running more times then he and CBJ would have liked to see. If we can get the OL clicking, I would love to see what that offense could do.

I think the OL had Dobbs running more times then he and CBJ would have liked to see. If we can get the OL clicking, I would love to see what that offense could do.

Check Kelly's OL recruiting at ND - unreal since he got there. However their offense is still average with all that talent and experience (or even worse than average against elite competition).
I would still like someone to list some impressive offensive performance Butch ever had with his system (supposedly similar to Kelly) against elite competition. I don't think there are any ever - or otherwise he would have beaten at least one top 25 team before he came to UT?
Again, the only thing I'm criticizing here is Butch in terms of offense (hint to sunshine pumpers - I'm not asking for him to be fired since he is doing phenomenal job in all other areas).

Winning 1 single NC as part of an entire coaching staff doesn't carry much weight for a single individual, nor should it, unless he was part of multiple NC teams. Too many factors/variables on a team of 85 players and an entire coaching staff to give him that much credit. It's a TEAM game so quit with this "well... well... HE won a national championship" crap! Tee Martin was part of a NC team but there are plenty of other QBs I would take before him... I believe some others would say the same thing about David Cutcliffe. I know that last part may hurt some of you hypersensitive Vols.

Winning 1 single NC as part of an entire coaching staff doesn't carry much weight for a single individual, nor should it, unless he was part of multiple NC teams. Too many factors/variables on a team of 85 players and an entire coaching staff to give him that much credit. It's a TEAM game so quit with this "well... well... HE won a national championship" crap! Tee Martin was part of a NC team but there are plenty of other QBs I would take before him... I believe some others would say the same thing about David Cutcliffe. I know that last part may hurt some of you hypersensitive Vols.

I was with you all the way until you mentioned coach Cutcliffe in negative light. Why did you have to ruin your otherwise perfect post? :)

Granted - not on the sight as much as normal - so if somebody already wen't on a rant I am about to go on - delete it and it won't hurt my feelings.

But fellas.. we all need to chill. This DeBord guy, I'll be honest, I don't know too much about him just like the most of you.

To be honest again, I didn't know a whole bunch about Butch Jones either other then he lost to Derek Dooley (WOW!!!!!!!).

To be honest a third time, I was pissed off when we hired this dude from Cincy and I thought it was a worse hire then Dooley. I wasn't properly informed, but I had brash incriminating opinions.

I knew exactly who Sal Sunseri was, he was going to make our defense "JUST LIKE BAMA BABY!"

I'm a Patriots fan - the best O.C. we've had since the last SB win in 04 - by far - has been Bill O Brien. Every Patriot fan freaked out when he was hired because "WHO THE HECK IS THIS GUY! HE CAN'T COACH".

The main point I'm getting at, is if Butch Jones did his homework, and given our situation thinks this DeBord fella is the best option.. then Dammit I HOPE we hire him.

All too often the coaching changes celebrated immediatly don't pan out, and the guys who we "say who the heck is he" surprises.

Just like the QB situation all year. Butch knows. He's in the building. He's around the team 25 hours a day and 8 days a week. Whoever he thinks will be the best option for his team.. he will get. So that is who we should want.

What, you think Butch doesn't want to be employed in a few years?

I get it about DeBord specifically. Old dude (But not really). Not a major recruiting adv. ect. Who do yall want? Who, on January 28, is really available and ready to jump into Knoxville.

Everyone needs to relax and not judge the hire until a year or two down the road. The system is in place. I compare Tennessee to the Patriots because that is who I wish the Vols will become and I know both teams extremely well. The Pats are dominant year after year, no matter who comes through and out the door.

Every year the Patriots lose asst. coaches, big name players. Every year though, Belichick (No matter what your opinion is of him) has the system in place and the Patriots will blindly win 10-11 games, a division title, and probably a trip to the conference championship at the least. Why? A) he has #12, yes, but B) The SYSTEM IS IN PLACE.

Butch is here. And I believe he is here to stay. The system is in place. Dammit if he wanted to hire Miss Rosey the old lady who gets my coffee just right every morning at starbucks I'm on board if he thought she was the best option.

Sit back. Enjoy the Super Bowl. Enjoy signing day. Get the JD ready for the spring game, and let's knock some people's socks off next year in the SECE.

GO EFFIN VOLS:rock:

I don't think you know what meltdown means. People can have a contrary opinion and voice that in this free (for now) country. That is in no way a "meltdown." :question:

VN Store

Back