Meltdown over the new O.C.

What did I miss something! Have we hired a new OC???

:crazy::crazy:

No, but I was thinking the same thing. I have a mattress, some matches, gasoline, and a fresh bucket of light bulbs ready in anticipation of the announcement.

He doesn't. Nobody does.
DeBord has a championship ring.
Bajakian has a history of terrible play-calling.

Pointing out that Debord has a championship ring from twenty years ago is even worse than us trotting out the 98 championship when some toothless Alabama troll mentions the fact that they have trounced us for a decade.

Mike Debord hasn't been an OC for almost a decade, our scheme and personnel are pretty much nothing like he utilized at Michigan.

Granted - not on the sight as much as normal - so if somebody already wen't on a rant I am about to go on - delete it and it won't hurt my feelings.

But fellas.. we all need to chill. This DeBord guy, I'll be honest, I don't know too much about him just like the most of you.

To be honest again, I didn't know a whole bunch about Butch Jones either other then he lost to Derek Dooley (WOW!!!!!!!).

To be honest a third time, I was pissed off when we hired this dude from Cincy and I thought it was a worse hire then Dooley. I wasn't properly informed, but I had brash incriminating opinions.

I knew exactly who Sal Sunseri was, he was going to make our defense "JUST LIKE BAMA BABY!"

I'm a Patriots fan - the best O.C. we've had since the last SB win in 04 - by far - has been Bill O Brien. Every Patriot fan freaked out when he was hired because "WHO THE HECK IS THIS GUY! HE CAN'T COACH".

The main point I'm getting at, is if Butch Jones did his homework, and given our situation thinks this DeBord fella is the best option.. then Dammit I HOPE we hire him.

All too often the coaching changes celebrated immediatly don't pan out, and the guys who we "say who the heck is he" surprises.

Just like the QB situation all year. Butch knows. He's in the building. He's around the team 25 hours a day and 8 days a week. Whoever he thinks will be the best option for his team.. he will get. So that is who we should want.

What, you think Butch doesn't want to be employed in a few years?

I get it about DeBord specifically. Old dude (But not really). Not a major recruiting adv. ect. Who do yall want? Who, on January 28, is really available and ready to jump into Knoxville.

Everyone needs to relax and not judge the hire until a year or two down the road. The system is in place. I compare Tennessee to the Patriots because that is who I wish the Vols will become and I know both teams extremely well. The Pats are dominant year after year, no matter who comes through and out the door.

Every year the Patriots lose asst. coaches, big name players. Every year though, Belichick (No matter what your opinion is of him) has the system in place and the Patriots will blindly win 10-11 games, a division title, and probably a trip to the conference championship at the least. Why? A) he has #12, yes, but B) The SYSTEM IS IN PLACE.

Butch is here. And I believe he is here to stay. The system is in place. Dammit if he wanted to hire Miss Rosey the old lady who gets my coffee just right every morning at starbucks I'm on board if he thought she was the best option.

Sit back. Enjoy the Super Bowl. Enjoy signing day. Get the JD ready for the spring game, and let's knock some people's socks off next year in the SECE.

GO EFFIN VOLS:rock:
Good post CT with exception of all the Pats love. Sorry my man but have to do this. Pats the last 6-7 years: ************************************* and this season **************!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 1 person
Pointing out that Debord has a championship ring from twenty years ago is even worse than us trotting out the 98 championship when some toothless Alabama troll mentions the fact that they have trounced us for a decade.

Mike Debord hasn't been an OC for almost a decade, our scheme and personnel are pretty much nothing like he utilized at Michigan.

If Butch hires him as the OC, obviously he feels he can take the offense and run with it. A great trait for an OC is being able to adjust quickly. If Butch thinks DeBord is the guy, I say bring it. Jmo

If there are still folks questioning Butch's ability they need to quit watching football. He is human and no coach is perfect, but if for what he had when he got here to what he has assembled in 2 short years hasn't convinced folks we are turning around I am not going to try to convince them now. Them folks can go live in misery for all I care. I know Tennessee football is on the way back to the top, and I'm sure the few that this anti-Jones sentiment will find their way back on the train. Most probably through another screen name. GO BIG ORANGE!!!!

Last edited:
:lolabove:It's CBJ job to keep or be fired. Everything I read about him is he's very meticulous. I'll be happy with his choice. Any of these western coaches you folks want is not a fit with SEC football. CBJ just has to move forward with 8+ wins to keep a cool seat.:hi:

Even if it IS from years ago, Mike DeBord has a championship ring, and when compared to Bajakian...

latest

Bajakian has squat, and there would be no "meltdown" if he stayed. We simply don't know.

Last edited:
I don't know much about Debor, looking at his HC record not very good choice for HC, but looking at his team Stats with as OC might be a good coordinator. This is what I found on Debord as OC, only place he was OC was Michigan with Lloyd Carr.

1997 Michigan (12-0) - Rushing total - 2139 yds 20 Tds
Passing total - 2464 yds 17 tds

1998 Michigan (10-3) - Rushing total - 1816 yds 18 Tds
Passing total - 2701 yds 17 tds

1999 Michigan (10-2) - Rushing total 1426 20 tds
Passing total - 2808 yds 19 tds

2006 Michigan (11-2) - Rushing total 2282 yds 21 tds
Passing total - 2538 yds 22 tds

2007 Michigan (9-4) - Rushing total 2144 yds 20 tds
Passing total 2862 yds 25 tds

so is this the "official meltdown" thread or the "let's not have a meltdown" thread? looking for a close seat to the "official meltdown" thread

I don't know much about Debor, looking at his HC record not very good choice for HC, but looking at his team Stats with as OC might be a good coordinator. This is what I found on Debord as OC, only place he was OC was Michigan with Lloyd Carr.

Nothing wrong with that at all.

Link to the story that would be written by half a dozen reputable sources, including the Univeristy, showing who was hired as the "new O.C."?

Or can we spiral this thread into 1,000 more posts of misery based on a hire....that hasn't happened?

Every year the Patriots lose asst. coaches, big name players. Every year though, Belichick (No matter what your opinion is of him) has the system in place and the Patriots will blindly win 10-11 games, a division title, and probably a trip to the conference championship at the least.

GO EFFIN VOLS:rock:

I mean deflating footballs and making your turnover margin 40-60% better than every other team does not hurt in terms of winning games

I don't the the fan base will. Melt down over a coordinator hire one way or another. Nobody was excited about blajakian to begin with so most will probably be excited to have any new blood in here.
It is funny how you said I was dissapointed when we hired some guy from cincy and boy was in wrong... I just don't get what butch has done. His game management has been awful! And We've lost nearly every close game he's coached in since he's been here. I'm really excited about the recruiting but equally as worried about his decision making. And it's not just letting the clock run out at the ends of the first half in close games an such...Its decisions like what players to play. For God sakes... He choose worley to run our read option offense. Why does our fan base not understand that this decision costs us several major games.
All I'm saying is the jury should still be out in Jones. He made no where near the improvement from year one to two that all the top coaches have made in recent years.

So you think you are so much better at making these decisions than coach Jones? What a delusion. You'd be better off keeping all this drivel to yourself than posting it. :loco:

Nothing wrong with that at all.

So why was DeBord not instantly gobbled up after 2007? Why was he an ever decreasing Assistant coach from 2008-2012? Why hasn't he even been coaching since 2012?

I mean, if it's something like what happened with Cutcliffe and it was a medical reason that pushed him to seek out a lower intensity job and then no coaching at all, I could see that.

Dude has still been out of the game since 2012 and hasn't been an OC since 2007. Game has changed a lot since 2007. Why shouldn't UT go after a proven commodity instead of a speculative hire?

UT has the talent on roster and should have the money, thanks to an increased ticket price, to sway a bigger money OC with proven results from the last 5 years. We should be able to beat out Ariz State, TCU, WVU for a guy. While Auburn and TAMU go out and hire big-money best-in-business guys we're shopping for has-beens at the Dollar Store.

This is just very weird, to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
So why was DeBord not instantly gobbled up after 2007? Why was he an ever decreasing Assistant coach from 2008-2012? Why hasn't he even been coaching since 2012?

I mean, if it's something like what happened with Cutcliffe and it was a medical reason that pushed him to seek out a lower intensity job and then no coaching at all, I could see that.

Dude has still been out of the game since 2012 and hasn't been an OC since 2007. Game has changed a lot since 2007. Why shouldn't UT go after a proven commodity instead of a speculative hire?

UT has the talent on roster and should have the money, thanks to an increased ticket price, to sway a bigger money OC with proven results from the last 5 years. We should be able to beat out Ariz State, TCU, WVU for a guy. While Auburn and TAMU go out and hire big-money best-in-business guys we're shopping for has-beens at the Dollar Store.

This is just very weird, to me.

This....All day long and twice on Sunday

Do you actually think these numbnuts will ever look at any facts? They are bandwagoneers who jump on the wagon as soon as the chattering class states something that appeals to their emotions. Right now, DeBord is the tongue waggers' satan. Anyone can find stats that fit their agendas and die on the hill for them.

I don't have a clue if DeBord will make a good OC, but I don't have the information or know the requirements like CBJ does and if that is his pick we go with it. He is accountable, not the fans. A good CEO pays his employees to make decisions and holds them accountable. CBJ is paid a lot of money, has a good track record and will be held accountable for the team's performance and he knows it.

VN Store

Back