Meltdown over the new O.C.

Aside from the obvious things... I just can't overlook the fact that Butch always stresses passion. I don't see passion in a old washed up OC, and all because he used a similar system to Butch's in one game against Florida..

I would much rather have an up-and-comer, and there are plenty we could get for decently cheap.
I dunno.. I wouldn't be impressed at all by the hire, but just my :twocents:

Reactions: 1 person
I just can't overlook the fact that Butch always stresses passion. I don't see passion in a old washed up OC, and all because he used a similar system to Butch's in one game against Florida..

I don't have a view on DeBord one way or another, but if anything, I think the guy who everyone is calling an "old washed-up OC" is much more likely to have a lot of passion. If I were DeBord and everyone were telling me I couldn't coach just because I'd been out of the game for 2 years, that would be a pretty big motivating factor.

That said, I do view DeBord as a riskier hire. I trust that Butch knows more about who will fit his staff than I do, but if DeBord doesn't work out, it leaves a weird situation.

I don't know much about Debor, looking at his HC record not very good choice for HC, but looking at his team Stats with as OC might be a good coordinator. This is what I found on Debord as OC, only place he was OC was Michigan with Lloyd Carr.

1997 Michigan (12-0) - Rushing total - 2139 yds 20 Tds
Passing total - 2464 yds 17 tds

1998 Michigan (10-3) - Rushing total - 1816 yds 18 Tds
Passing total - 2701 yds 17 tds

1999 Michigan (10-2) - Rushing total 1426 20 tds
Passing total - 2808 yds 19 tds

2006 Michigan (11-2) - Rushing total 2282 yds 21 tds
Passing total - 2538 yds 22 tds

2007 Michigan (9-4) - Rushing total 2144 yds 20 tds
Passing total 2862 yds 25 tds

Most thought our offense sucked for most of last season. These Michigan stats overall are pretty much in line or slightly less then what our offense produced last year. I think we actually scored a few more points then these Michigan teams. Nothing outstanding here especially playing in the Big Ten at a time when Michigan had a huge talent advantage.

Most thought our offense sucked for most of last season. These Michigan stats overall are pretty much in line or slightly less then what our offense produced last year. I think we actually scored a few more points then these Michigan teams. Nothing outstanding here especially playing in the Big Ten at a time when Michigan had a huge talent advantage.

Wouldn't judge it by comparing it to 2014 stats. The game has sped up and offenses are putting up more yards in general. Even some top 5 and top 10 offenses in the mid 90's will look low on the yards numbers when compared to offenses today.

Butch needs to stop the budy system. If he hires grandpa we will be set back yet again.he hasn't worked with qb's since 85.

If you don't support the hire of DeBord find a better reason other then age. There are plenty of successful coaches much older then "grandpa" who is only 58. Maybe if you're 18 that seems old but the older you get the more you will realize 58 is not as old as you once thought.

National Championship and Tom Brady.

Nuff said. He'll put up 10,000 pass yards here, celery.

I read that the big money boosters are furious with this hire---butch better do some good explaining at the booster clubs---maybe he can buy some rounds of drinks---top shelf stuff

I read that the big money boosters are furious with this hire---butch better do some good explaining at the booster clubs---maybe he can buy some rounds of drinks---top shelf stuff

Got his buddy a job down at the sawmill to help him out. Yuck yuck.

Reactions: 2 people
Aside from the obvious things... I just can't overlook the fact that Butch always stresses passion. I don't see passion in a old washed up OC, and all because he used a similar system to Butch's in one game against Florida..

I would much rather have an up-and-comer, and there are plenty we could get for decently cheap.
I dunno.. I wouldn't be impressed at all by the hire, but just my :twocents:

If you don't think balding, middle aged men can't show passion, you haven't spent any time at the Gold Club lately.

Questions for the sunshine pumpers:

1. It's been asked before, but again: Why has DeBord been out of coaching for 2 yrs? Why has he received no offers during that time?

2. Can you name a school that we compete against, one we must beat to get back on top,that would hire someone with DeBord's credentials? Would UGA hire him as their OC? Would UF? Would Bama?

And please spare us the, "He might be great, he might not, we won't know until we give him a chance." You said the same thing when Dooley was hired, remember? And you said it again when Sunseri was hired.

Reactions: 3 people

1. It's been asked before, but again: Why has DeBord been out of coaching for 2 yrs? Why has he received no offers during that time?

2. Can you name a school that we compete against, one we must beat to get back on top,that would hire someone with DeBord's credentials? Would UGA hire him as their OC? Would UF? Would Bama?

And please spare us the, "He might be great, he might not, we won't know until we give him a chance." You said the same thing when Dooley was hired, remember? And you said it again when Sunseri was hired.

Great post.

Now you went and made me re-think my position. I am still not up in arms about it but this makes a lot of sense.

Argue the rest that's fine, but the whole "he hasn't received any offers" thing is bugging me. You have no clue if he's received an offer to coach. Do you accept every job offer you get? Second, everyone likes to make fun of the Olympic coordinator stuff, it is funny, but essentially he was a mini-AD who helped with the Harbaugh hire, and from everything I've read was aspiring to be the next AD at Michigan. Maybe he was asked to take that position for a while and told the AD spot was his after. So please stop with the stupidity of "he couldn't get a job offer". He could and he did, he chose to follow his ambition to become an AD. Whether he's a good hire or not. Who knows, acting definitively either way is ignorant.

Reactions: 4 people
einstein.jpg

Argue the rest that's fine, but the whole "he hasn't received any offers" thing is bugging me. You have no clue if he's received an offer to coach. Do you accept every job offer you get? Second, everyone likes to make fun of the Olympic coordinator stuff, it is funny, but essentially he was a mini-AD who helped with the Harbaugh hire, and from everything I've read was aspiring to be the next AD at Michigan. Maybe he was asked to take that position for a while and told the AD spot was his after. So please stop with the stupidity of "he couldn't get a job offer". He could and he did, he chose to follow his ambition to become an AD. Whether he's a good hire or not. Who knows, acting definitively either way is ignorant.

Would any passionate OC or HC in college football willingly stay in an administrative position overseeing college Olympic teams instead of taking an OC or HC football job if there were offers?

And the sign said, old fat people need not apply, so DeBord tucked his gut under his belt, and went in to ask Butch why.

Sign, sign, everywhere a sign.

Sign said you got to have the goods to get the job.

DeBord ain't got the goods.

Last edited:

Why did Pete Carroll not have a job in 2000?

Was Urban Meyer a disaster after taking 2011 off?

I don't have an opinion on DeBord one way or another, but I have to think the reaction to him here on VN has been rather extreme. Everyone just seems to assume he's not any good because he's 58 years old, bald, and hasn't coached for 2 years. As if his brain was suddenly cleared of all coaching memories, because he took a few years off.

I don't know if he's the right guy or not; but I can't help but to think the conversation here is based on ignorance. Most VN posters negatively commenting on DeBord are just doing so based on stereotypes.

Why did Pete Carroll not have a job in 2000?

Was Urban Meyer a disaster after taking 2011 off?

I don't have an opinion on DeBord one way or another, but I have to think the reaction to him here on VN has been rather extreme. Everyone just seems to assume he's not any good because he's 58 years old, bald, and hasn't coached for 2 years. As if his brain was suddenly cleared of all coaching memories, because he took a few years off.

I don't know if he's the right guy or not; but I can't help but to think the conversation here is based on ignorance. Most VN posters negatively commenting on DeBord are just doing so based on stereotypes.

Comparing Debord to Pete Carroll or Urban Meyer, is a strawman argument at best...Carroll was transitioning out of the NFL after a declining tenure at the Patriots, and Urban was trying to get his personal life in order.

I think it's less the fact that he is old and bald, and more so that he hasn't held an OC position since 2007. Eight years is a long time to be out of the driver's seat to suddenly be offered it again at a school like UT. Add to that, what would seem like a situation where he wasn't being offered coaching positions, as what kind of coach would stay working as an olyimic sports coordinator when at the very least he could be a TE or OL coach, if not a an OC.

Last edited:

Agreed 100%. If it is indeed De'Boring, then Butch, once again will have resorted to cronyism....rewarding old buds, rather than searching high and low for the best possible candidate.

VN Store

Back