McRae's NBA Debut

He's on NBA 2K now. You can now have a UT starting lineup of CJ, Richardson, McRae, Tobias, Stokes. I'm thinking about starting a season with the Magic and trading to get JRich, JMac, and Stokes.

Finally! Thanks for the heads up, I'll trade for him when I get home.

I got to see McRae play last night in Dallas. Not overwhelming stats, but he didn't play many minutes (more on that later). He did run the point and he looked like he belonged.

I really liked Hornacek as a player, but he is one of the most clueless looking head coaches I've ever seen. Absolutely no feel or thought to his rotations.

For example, McRae had a +8 differential, which was the best of any Sun. You could sense that the team played at a better tempo when he was in the game. He brought energy, which was clearly lacking on that team. And when he left early in the 4th Quarter, Suns were up by around 5. They got destroyed the rest of the way, and their starting guards were well into negative double-digit differentials. I know I am biased toward the former Vol, but I would have liked the Suns chances more with him on the floor (although I was rooting for the Mavs).

The new coach needs to stop starting guys due to entitlement and shake that roster up.

I got to see McRae play last night in Dallas. Not overwhelming stats, but he didn't play many minutes (more on that later). He did run the point and he looked like he belonged.

I really liked Hornacek as a player, but he is one of the most clueless looking head coaches I've ever seen. Absolutely no feel or thought to his rotations.

For example, McRae had a +8 differential, which was the best of any Sun. You could sense that the team played at a better tempo when he was in the game. He brought energy, which was clearly lacking on that team. And when he left early in the 4th Quarter, Suns were up by around 5. They got destroyed the rest of the way, and their starting guards were well into negative double-digit differentials. I know I am biased toward the former Vol, but I would have liked the Suns chances more with him on the floor (although I was rooting for the Mavs).

The new coach needs to stop starting guys due to entitlement and shake that roster up.

Booker and Goodwin are starting because Knight and Bledsoe are hurt. Booker has been one of the most surprising successes of the rookies as of late, and Goodwin has finally started to show some promise after some bad years. Those two are much more important to the franchise right now.

Booker and Goodwin are starting because Knight and Bledsoe are hurt. Booker has been one of the most surprising successes of the rookies as of late, and Goodwin has finally started to show some promise after some bad years. Those two are much more important to the franchise right now.

Booker was high scorer and showed some promise. The rest of the guards, including Goodwin, were flat out terrible.

Goodwin and Weems combined were a -28 and probably why they lost the game.

Tucker plays forward, but he plays with no intensity whatsoever.

Booker was high scorer and showed some promise. The rest of the guards, including Goodwin, were flat out terrible.

Goodwin and Weems combined were a -28 and probably why they lost the game.

Tucker plays forward, but he plays with no intensity whatsoever.

Like I said, Goodwin has been difficult to watch since he was drafted. He's made progress in the last few weeks, even had a game winner for them. They'd rather him get a chance to play with the injuries to all the other guards.

I love numbers as much as anyone, but point differential is a hard stat to apply, especially with second stringers. It's essentially saying McRae did better than the other teams second group. It's really only a telling stat whenever someone plays against starters and second string, or at the least, more starters than the second group. Now, you could parlay it into meaning he should be playing more minutes, but other than that not much should be read.

Jordan could see more playing time starting tonight. This will be his 3rd game now. He needs more playing time(22+ minutes) to get a chance to show if he deserves another 10 day contract. He didn't do much his last game out but they only played him 13 minutes after giving him 25 minutes previous game. Let's hope he can see 20+ tonight.

Well, my hopes for Jordan getting bigger minutes tonight went down the drain. He played a total of 2 minutes & scored 2 points. How can a player get a fair evaluation playing that few of minutes? Good grief! :eek:hmy:

Well, my hopes for Jordan getting bigger minutes tonight went down the drain. He played a total of 2 minutes & scored 2 points. How can a player get a fair evaluation playing that few of minutes? Good grief! :eek:hmy:

He's got to practice and spend time with the team at least outside of the game. Hope he gets picked up again.

He's got to practice and spend time with the team at least outside of the game. Hope he gets picked up again.

I do realize that but he only has 10 days. That's I believe 5 total games Phoenix plays during that timeframe. They might sign him to a 2nd 10 day contract too but another team may want to take a look at him.

He's not getting enough playing time to show what he's capable of in Phoenix. I know it's only been 3 games but I don't see it changing to where he gets more playing time either. I hope another team gives him a chance myself.

I do realize that but he only has 10 days. That's I believe 5 total games Phoenix plays during that timeframe. They might sign him to a 2nd 10 day contract too but another team may want to take a look at him.

He's not getting enough playing time to show what he's capable of in Phoenix. I know it's only been 3 games but I don't see it changing to where he gets more playing time either. I hope another team gives him a chance myself.

Some Suns fw broke his ankle and is out for the season maybe JMC gets to stay the rest of the season

Reactions: 1 person
Phoenix didn't exactly give him a lot of playing time in the game Thursday night either. Here's a link to the boxscore: Houston Rockets vs. Phoenix Suns - Box Score - February 04, 2016 - ESPN

15 minutes. 8 points. 3-5 shooting. 1-2 on 3's. 1-1 FT. 2 rebounds. 1 assist. 1 steal. Imagine what numbers he might have put up playing 25+ minutes. They should give him more playing time.

I bet some other team will once his 10 day contract is up. I'm just betting another team sees his potential & will sign him. Maybe even for the remainder of the season. He can help some teams & probably even some playoff teams.

Yet another night where McRae is not given much of a chance to show his skills last night: Utah Jazz vs. Phoenix Suns - Box Score - February 06, 2016 - ESPN

10 minutes. 1-3 FGA. 0-2 3's. 1-2 ft. 1 REB. 1 AST. 3 total points. Hopefully he gets another 10 day contract with a different team where he can get more playing time. I mean why did they(Phoenix) give him 20 minutes in his 1st game but 13 minutes is his highest since? Makes no sense to me. I believe he's had 7 minutes & 10 minutes the other 2 games. So, in 5 games, in minutes he's had 20, 13, 10, 7,& 10. Just not enough!

Yet another night where McRae is not given much of a chance to show his skills last night: Utah Jazz vs. Phoenix Suns - Box Score - February 06, 2016 - ESPN

10 minutes. 1-3 FGA. 0-2 3's. 1-2 ft. 1 REB. 1 AST. 3 total points. Hopefully he gets another 10 day contract with a different team where he can get more playing time. I mean why did they(Phoenix) give him 20 minutes in his 1st game but 13 minutes is his highest since? Makes no sense to me. I believe he's had 7 minutes & 10 minutes the other 2 games. So, in 5 games, in minutes he's had 20, 13, 10, 7,& 10. Just not enough!

I guess they didn't like his overall game.

I mean, I know he's just on a 10 day contract, but they could've atleast got the details right on 2k. He's white. Lol

Reactions: 1 person
I guess they didn't like his overall game.

He scored 12 points & had 3 rebounds & 3 assists & 2 steals his 1st game with the Suns. That was in 20 minutes. They obviously liked something about his game. Those aren't bad numbers at all for 20 minutes in your very 1st NBA game. This is why I hope he signs with a different team here soon when that contract is up.

I mean, I know he's just on a 10 day contract, but they could've atleast got the details right on 2k. He's white. Lol

LOL! He's about the whitest back guy I've ever seen. Good grief 2K Sports! They do this crap all the time. Can't even get a player's skin color right for a darn sport game? Are you serious?

I know a guy on Operation Sports website that made a cyberface for McRae that looks just like him. When I say just like him, I mean just like him too. I'll see if I can get a picture posted here for you.

He scored 12 points & had 3 rebounds & 3 assists & 2 steals his 1st game with the Suns. That was in 20 minutes. They obviously liked something about his game. Those aren't bad numbers at all for 20 minutes in your very 1st NBA game. This is why I hope he signs with a different team here soon when that contract is up.

The NBA has far more complex analytics than points, rebounds, assists, and steals in a single game. Some of those points could have been scored when a pass to a teammate was the better option. Rebounds could have gone right to him. I'd say that the NBA knows far more about JMc than you're reading in a box score. How was his defense? Who was guarding him? Was he seeing teammates in better position to score when he took his shots? Did he create scoring opportunities when he got his assists or did he make simple passes to wide open teammates? NBA front office analytics are far deeper than stat lines on ESPN.com.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
The NBA has far more complex analytics than points, rebounds, assists, and steals in a single game. Some of those points could have been scored when a pass to a teammate was the better option. Rebounds could have gone right to him. I'd say that they NBA knows far more about JMc than you're reading in a box score. How was his defense? Who was guarding him? Was he seeing teammates in better position to score when he took his shots? Did he create scoring opportunities when he got his assists or did he make simple passes to wide open teammates? NBA front office analytics are far deeper than stat lines on ESPN.com.

Also things like McRae entered the game when the Suns were down 18-4, 53-40, 77-56, and 100-80. He got inserted into his first game when the team was losing by an average of 17 points. Since that game, it looks like they've been in the games a little better, so they didn't need the newly added reserve player as much.

Also things like McRae entered the game when the Suns were down 18-4, 53-40, 77-56, and 100-80. He got inserted into his first game when the team was losing by an average of 17 points. Since that game, it looks like they've been in the games a little better, so they didn't need the newly added reserve player as much.

Who was he playing with and against? If he gets cut it won't be because they're not aware of what he does well. It will be because they know his weaknesses and they've determined they're too big of a problem to overcome. He'll make good money overseas or possibly on an NBA bench.

Who was he playing with and against? If he gets cut it won't be because they're not aware of what he does well. It will be because they know his weaknesses and they've determined they're too big of a problem to overcome. He'll make good money overseas or possibly on an NBA bench.

I was supporting your stance. Simply establishing that part of the reason he got so many minutes and had the ability to do what he did the first game was because the team was getting blown out. The later games, where the other person was commenting on his time dropping substantially, featured close ball games.

It's not entirely because they saw his limitations that his minutes dropped. It's also because the situation didn't warrant him entering the game.

VN Store

Back