Mayock: Third round is 'best case' draft for Vols' Kelly

Because running a likely 4.5-4.6 as a 5'9 RB is not going to look great.

Emmitt Smith.....

Never liked him...but that's almost exactly what he did at his NFL combine...

and JK is no Emmitt Smith--but the point is that 5'9" RBs who run around 4.5-4.6 are absolutely fine for the NFL...if they are durable and tough enough.....

I don't see JK ever being durable enough to make it to a 2nd NFL contract....

Emmitt Smith.....

and JK is no Emmitt Smith--but the point is that 5'9" RBs who run around 4.5-4.6 are absolutely fine for the NFL...if they are durable and tough enough.....

He was more durable than Alvin Kamara...or Jamal Lewis for that matter. And with his aggressive power style that’s a good sign. I think he gets paid very well for his second contract if that health trend continues.

Reactions: 3 people
Emmitt Smith.....

Curious as to why you don’t think he’d be durable enough to get to a second contract. Kid is tough as nails, no significant injuries at Tennessee with nearly 400 touches. Is it a gut feeling or something, cause there’s no evidence for it.

Reactions: 2 people
Curious as to why you don’t think he’d be durable enough to get to a second contract. Kid is tough as nails, no significant injuries at Tennessee with nearly 400 touches. Is it a gut feeling or something, cause there’s no evidence for it.

Especially seeing as how the position has evolved over the years. Teams now use 2 running backs more than ever in the past. You don't see too many guys who carry 90% of the running load anymore (there are of course exceptions to that). Jk will be fine IMO and will be a pretty good RB in the league.

Reactions: 1 person
Especially seeing as how the position has evolved over the years. Teams now use 2 running backs more than ever in the past. You don't see too many guys who carry 90% of the running load anymore (there are of course exceptions to that). Jk will be fine IMO and will be a pretty good RB in the league.

Agree wholeheartedly 204.

I honestly feel like he's going to be pushed down to probably 5-6th round based on the lack of need of RBs.

Only 8 teams (Baltimore, Buffalo, Dallas, Detroit, Chargers, Rams, Dolphins, New England) didn't DRAFT a RB last year at all, but my guess is that these teams won't draft Kelly.. UNLESS they draft 2 RBs and Kelly gets picked 6/7th round.

Lots of teams will draft RB's every other year too.

I think he'll land on a team where he's going to compete for 2nd/3rd spot where they most likely drafted an RB highly (3rd round or better) from last year.

My prediction teams? ---

1. Jags
2. Carolina
3. Vikings
4. Houston
5. Bengals
6. Steelers
7. Chiefs
8. Saints

It's true that they are doing more of a 2 way RB system but that also means that teams will likely start drafting MORE RBs in the draft....which means more competition going in.

Only 8 teams didn't actually DRAFT a RB last year.

About 60% of all that get drafted end up getting cut within their 3rd season.

Basically if you get drafted in later rounds its a bigger climb. 2 way system means LESS injuries and LESS of a chance getting your chance.

It's true that they are doing more of a 2 way RB system but that also means that teams will likely start drafting MORE RBs in the draft....which means more competition going in.

Only 8 teams didn't actually DRAFT a RB last year.

About 60% of all that get drafted end up getting cut within their 3rd season.

Basically if you get drafted in later rounds its a bigger climb. 2 way system means LESS injuries and LESS of a chance getting your chance.

Tis the life of a running back. 2012 draft gave us 1st rounder and 3rd overall Trent Richardson. In round 6 173 overall) it gave us Alfred Morris. Richardson can’t buy a roster spot and Morris is always occupying one. If you’re a ball carrier, you make a roster and you have as many chances as a top 5 pick.

I think the man is a great RB but I do worry that he looks for contact too much to have a lasting career.. I hope I am wrong and he balls out for 10 years

VN Store

Back