Mayock: Third round is 'best case' draft for Vols' Kelly

his numbers in 3 cone and shuttle, while not bad did not point, to an impressive 40 time. he looked pretty good in workouts though. he did nothing to help or really hurt himself today as most of his numbers were midpack. I mean seriously nothing he did surprised anyone did it? He definitely didn't look gimpy. I do find it interesting he ran the 20 yard shuttle and 3 cone as I would think those drills are more prone to cause injuries (change of direction) than the 40 dash and 60 shuttle which he skipped.

Doesn't matter where he is drafted he'll be a STAR regardless.

John Kelly is a great NFL RB.

“Is”-present tense, the dude hasn’t even joined his first NFL team or taken a snap in the NFL.
“Will be”- future tense, we’ll have to see, but his size and lack of speed for his size isn’t going to get him very far imo. He is no Kamara.

Reactions: 3 people
Sounds about right. I like Kelly’s story, but I see third round as his ceiling. Just an adverage back.

2 questions...

1. When you post things like this, do you just scroll through espn charts and find a famous player with similar height and weight?

2. Are you and Butchna related?

How’d I get thrown into this?

Mike Mayock might be right about where Kelly is drafted. But he's dead wrong about the player.

John Kelly will be a STAR in the NFL.

Teams will regret passing on him like they did last year with Alvin.

John Kelly = Priest Holmes 2.0

For once you may be right, but let's keep it about JK and not your prediction.

I think he may have made a mistake coming out early. This draft is full of good rbs

As a RB you have to get into the league as soon as possible so you can get to that second contract. The body can take only so many hits. And unless you're gonna go in the first couple of rounds, there isn't much difference in getting drafted in rounds 3-7.

JK wasn't gonna improve his stock much by coming back. He was still gonna be small and not that fast. Also there is no reason to believe Tennessee's o-line would get any better next year to help him improve his draft stock.

JK made the right decision coming out.

Reactions: 1 person
He was a good college RB but his lack of size combined with his ultra aggressive running style won’t last long. He’s a solid guy for spot carries. 5th round pick.

I hate to say it but I think JK is a 5th round pick at best and maybe a 6th rounder.

There's too may good RB's in this draft and that will hurt him.

I just hope he gets drafted and then plays lights out to prove he's worthy of a bigger contract.

VFL...GBO!!!

Reactions: 2 people
As a RB you have to get into the league as soon as possible so you can get to that second contract. The body can take only so many hits. And unless you're gonna go in the first couple of rounds, there isn't much difference in getting drafted in rounds 3-7.

JK wasn't gonna improve his stock much by coming back. He was still gonna be small and not that fast. Also there is no reason to believe Tennessee's o-line would get any better next year to help him improve his draft stock.

JK made the right decision coming out.

So he's slow and small but an elite NFL back... ok.

Reactions: 5 people
So he's slow and small but an elite NFL back... ok.

Running back is a lot more about instincts and grit than it is about size and speed. It's how a big and fast guy like Trent Richardson can be a complete bust. He lacked proper RB instincts.

John Kelly just knows how to play. He's tough, physical, can break tackles, and catch out of the backfield. That's why my comp for him is Priest Holmes. Another small and slow RB who backed up Ricky Williams at Texas, went undrafted in 1997, but went on to have a near Hall of Fame career in the NFL.

John Kelly will be a STAR in the NFL like Priest Holmes.

Running back is a lot more about instincts and grit than it is about size and speed. It's how a big and fast guy like Trent Richardson can be a complete bust. He lacked proper RB instincts.

John Kelly just knows how to play. He's tough, physical, can break tackles, and catch out of the backfield. That's why my comp for him is Priest Holmes. Another small and slow RB who backed up Ricky Williams at Texas, went undrafted in 1997, but went on to have a near Hall of Fame career in the NFL.

I believe it. He has a lot of those intangibles that translate into extra yards and big plays. He has one of the strongest and most effective stiff arms I've seen.

Laser Focus - Big 12 Conference - Official Athletic Site
Holmes ran a 4.3-4

John Kelly runs with such an aggressive authority that his style has been described as "he runs angry." One of my favorite John Kelly habits is also one of his secret weapons. He keeps his legs pumping like pistons until the final whistle. A lot of people recognize he racks up extra yards after contact when he causes would-be tacklers to miss, but he also keeps his legs moving when other backs would give up so he extends the play for more yards than other backs do. He's a threat to break a big one any time he touches the ball for all of those reasons.

Kamara is a 5’10” rb who ran 4.5-4.6. Surely didn’t hurt him.

Kelly would likely be closer to 4.6 and he doesnt have the wiggle, acceleration, or hands that Kamara had. He's tough as hell though so who knows. Maybe he will come out faster than I think at the pro day, I certainly hope so.

Priest Holmes and John Kelly are nothing alike....nothing. Do you just Google football player names to come up a comp?

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people

D4H, been meaning to ask you about Al Wilson’s face. He’s ugly as hell but was the captain of our national championship team and made several NFL pro bowls.

Thoughts?

Kelly would likely be closer to 4.6 and he doesnt have the wiggle, acceleration, or hands that Kamara had. He's tough as hell though so who knows. Maybe he will come out faster than I think at the pro day, I certainly hope so.

Kamara ran 4.56 and 4.57 iirc....that’s pretty dang “closer to 4.6”. Kelly’s not as smooth as AK, but he runs with more power/breaks more tackles than AK and pretty much any other Tennessee running back (this side of Travis Henry) I’ve ever seen. JK may not have the top end speed GMs want to see for a player his size (we’ll see), but I believe his acceleration will prove to be good/more than enough, kinda like AK. And he doesn’t need hands as good as AK’s, they’re plenty good imo.

Last edited:

Um no and no.

Ricky Williams wasn't a small back and he was drafted in the first round. If you think 230+ is small then yeah he was small.

Edit: ah I see you said backed up. I was about to be like wtf

Last edited:

VN Store

Back