Mayock: Third round is 'best case' draft for Vols' Kelly

5th-7th round. Real dumb move to leave early with the drug issue so recent. Another year at UT with no further drug issues would make him much more reliable to the NFL

He got poor advice.

Reactions: 2 people
1. When you post things like this, do you just scroll through espn charts and find a famous player with similar height and weight?

Kinda. I do look for height/weight matches but the more important thing is to watch the tape and see if the two players have the same playing/running style.

I have pretty good pattern recognition so I notice similarities between people very well.

No, you just start amping players once actual professionals point them out.

And? You think I just agree with them? Or do I look at players after someone points them out and make my own decision after reviewing their tape?

What you're suggesting as a criticism is just silly. I never said that I watch every team in the country play and know who will be a NFL star before others. I watch mostly SEC football and a few other big power 5 programs each week. Then once we get to draft season I do look at the guys others think will be drafted high and watch their film to see whether I agree with them or whether I disagree.

You know from my track record that I don't agree with the consensus typically. So I don't get where you are going with this criticism. Who did I copy from last year when I rated James Conner the 2nd best RB in the draft? Or this year, who else had Rashaad Penny rated as the 2nd best RB in the draft after Saquon Barkley?

I have my own opinions. I don't copy anyone.

Last edited:
I don't copy anyone.

tenor.gif

Reactions: 6 people
Mike Mayock might be right about where Kelly is drafted. But he's dead wrong about the player.

John Kelly will be a STAR in the NFL.

Teams will regret passing on him like they did last year with Alvin.

John Kelly = Priest Holmes 2.0

Even IF you're right about Kelly's talent, runningbacks are such a plentiful, injury-prone, and replaceable commodity in the pass-happy NFL that only bellcow freaks of nature like Elliott, Fournette or Barkely are considered in the first round. Scouts knew exactly how good Kareem Hunt and Alvin Kamara were last year, and they were both appropriately-graded 3rd round picks. Similar predecessors like Brian Westbrook and Jamal Charles were third round picks too.

Reactions: 2 people
5th or 6th round doesn't catch the ball well enough to be third or 4th rounder and to small to run between the tackles in the NFL, hope he is first rounder he is not in the same League as AK.

And? You think I just agree with them? Or do I look at players after someone points them out and make my own decision after reviewing their tape?

What you're suggesting as a criticism is just silly. I never said that I watch every team in the country play and know who will be a NFL star before others. I watch mostly SEC football and a few other big power 5 programs each week. Then once we get to draft season I do look at the guys others think will be drafted high and watch their film to see whether I agree with them or whether I disagree.

You know from my track record that I don't agree with the consensus typically. So I don't get where you are going with this criticism. Who did I copy from last year when I rated James Conner the 2nd best RB in the draft? Or this year, who else had Rashaad Penny rated as the 2nd best RB in the draft after Saquon Barkley?

I have my own opinions. I don't copy anyone.

Your alma mater have any good players coming out this year?

Kinda. I do look for height/weight matches but the more important thing is to watch the tape and see if the two players have the same playing/running style.

I have pretty good pattern recognition so I notice similarities between people very well.
the problem being him and Priest are not very comparable. Kellys big knocks according to nfl scouts is

WEAKNESSES Slightly undersized. Average quickness and below average speed. Inconsistent running away from tacklers around the corner or down the field. Lacks the "hit it and go" to clear traffic through line of scrimmage. Looks for lanes, but misses creases. Lacks creativity as inside runner. The path is the path. Needs to press line of scrimmage a shade longer to open cutbacks. Tardy to accelerate after jump cuts. Scouts say character is a little spotty.

that is the complete opposite of Priest Holmes
. They compared him to 17 UFA Corey Clement of the eagles
NFL Events: Combine Player Profiles - JOHN KELLY
their writeups for kmac and trevor daniel are also interesting.. even moreso the Gaulden, the guy they rated highest and is expected to go highest, didn't even warrant more than an overview

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
FWIW, I’ve seen several draft analysts affiliated with the Eagles mentioning Kelly as a potential 3rd day pick for them.

Even IF you're right about Kelly's talent, runningbacks are such a plentiful, injury-prone, and replaceable commodity in the pass-happy NFL that only bellcow freaks of nature like Elliott, Fournette or Barkely are considered in the first round. Scouts knew exactly how good Kareem Hunt and Alvin Kamara were last year, and they were both appropriately-graded 3rd round picks. Similar predecessors like Brian Westbrook and Jamal Charles were third round picks too.

LOL. Sure they did.

That's why they let the leading rusher in the NFL and the Offensive Rookie of the Year fall to the 3rd round in favor of the 2 RBs they took in the top 10 that averaged 3.9 YPC and 3.7 YPC respectively.

There is no way Christian McCaffrey would be drafted ahead of Alvin Kamara today if there was a redraft. Thus its asinine to suggest the scouts knew what they were doing. Those fools know nothing.

the problem being him and Priest are not very comparable. Kellys big knocks according to nfl scouts is

WEAKNESSES Slightly undersized. Average quickness and below average speed. Inconsistent running away from tacklers around the corner or down the field. Lacks the "hit it and go" to clear traffic through line of scrimmage. Looks for lanes, but misses creases. Lacks creativity as inside runner. The path is the path. Needs to press line of scrimmage a shade longer to open cutbacks. Tardy to accelerate after jump cuts. Scouts say character is a little spotty.

that is the complete opposite of Priest Holmes
. They compared him to 17 UFA Corey Clement of the eagles
NFL Events: Combine Player Profiles - JOHN KELLY
their writeups for kmac and trevor daniel are also interesting.. even moreso the Gaulden, the guy they rated highest and is expected to go highest, didn't even warrant more than an overview

You do know Priest Holmes was undrafted right?

Seriously though, if you’re so good, go become an NFL scout. If they really “know nothing” then they should really want you.

Even if they pick up the phone and get past your arrogant BS self-promotion, I’d like to know how long the call lasts after you tell them you’re projecting Dobbs as the best QB of all time.

I have a high school buddy on the Titans' scouting staff. I told D4H that, with his permission, I would forward his assessments to my contact and see what he thinks. I've made the offer numerous times. He hasn't taken me up on it. I'm not even sure that he's acknowledged the offer.

At what point in your evaluation do you factor in your level of sexual attraction to player's body type?

Reactions: 6 people
But then they take on Hurd as a free agent and Butch as an analyst. Kamara and Kelly are benched and the Saints run up the middle for 2 yards/carry.

I loved hurd.. he broke my heart

I hope I find him working at a McDonald's one day

Last edited:
Why didn’t he run the 40? That’s stupid on his part.

Only reason not to run would be injury (even if minor) or concern that it would be a poor time.

Not running at the Combine makes his pro-day critical. He’s going to have to run the forty at some point.

Why didn’t he run the 40? That’s stupid on his part.

He wasn’t the only noteworthy SEC back that elected not to run the 40. Darius Guice from LSU and Kerryon Johnson from Auburn chose not to run as well.

Bo Scarborough - 4.52
Nick Chubb - 4.53
Sony Michel - 4.55

*correction, Guice ran a 4.49. Solid time.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back