Marlin Lane

I’m not saying it isn’t true, but why didn’t Marlin talk about this publicly a couple years ago? This isn’t the kind of thing you hide from the public.

Up until now Butch represented UT football. Maybe he didn't want to be the one to stir the pot and create instability in the program. Hard to say whether it was the right decision, but I can see why he might have decided against speaking up.

Reactions: 7 people
It wouldn’t have mattered anyways. Butch survived multiple allegations like these because the university was too scared to make a change for a long time. Now that he’s not there anymore, more stuff like this will come to light.

I’m not saying Butch is a good guy, because I think it would be dang hard to be one as a head coach with all the shady stuff that goes on behind the scenes, but a few of these allegations seem a little suspect. I guess we will know in time.

Reactions: 1 person
Wow, crazy stat from that podcast. Butch has a losing record to every SEC team, including Tennessee.

I don't follow that stat.

He went 4-1 against Kentucky;
3-2 against SCAR;
And, if you include his time at Cincy, which you would have to if you wanted to come up with a “losing record” against UT, you’d also have to say he was 1-0 against Vandy in a bowl, that means his record against them is 3-2.

Am I missing something (or forgetting some recent history)?

Reactions: 4 people
He went 4-1 against Kentucky; 3-2 against SCAR;
And, if you include his time at Cincy, which you would have to if you wanted to come up with a “losing record” against UT, you’d also have to say he was 1-0 against Vandy in a bowl, that means his record against them is 3-2.

Dont let facts get in the way of a good story! Seessh

I don't know why Marlin would make this up, so I have to think it's truth till otherwise proven false. This comes right after Antone Davis cited bullying and mistreatment from Butch as his reason for resigning.

I don't know why Marlin would make this up, so I have to think it's truth till otherwise proven false. This comes right after Antone Davis cited bullying and mistreatment from Butch as his reason for resigning.

So now allegation are true and the person has to prove them false? Interesting.

I wonder if Lanes rape case worked that way.

You don' have the information. maybe marlin thought he was "dissed" at some point. Maybe he knows a friend that thought he was dissed... what ever.

3-2 against SCAR;

The statistic is that he is currently coming off a loss to every SEC team he’s played. He has no standing SEC victories

Dont let facts get in the way of a good story! Seessh

Well, I mean there are plenty of reasons to dislike where Butch ended up at UT whether that be his record, haircut, media saavy, or anecdotes about locker room behavior, or whatever else.

With all that, there's literally no need to throw around bad stats.

3-2 against SCAR;

Probably talking about the losing streak to every team in the SEC.

The statistic is that he is currently coming off a loss to every SEC team he’s played. He has no standing SEC victories

The quote I responded to said he had a "losing record" against every SEC team, including TN. Those are two exceedingly different statements, and only one of them is true.

Reactions: 2 people

This is the only truth. Butch was fired because of his record against the SEC. That is real. He was a great guy, and fantastic leader of young men that didn't get the job done. He did nothing but good for this place so if you are trying to trash character it's because you fell like you were personalty dissed or you just want to riot bait.

Well, I mean there are plenty of reasons to dislike where Butch ended up at UT whether that be his record, haircut, media saavy, or anecdotes about locker room behavior, or whatever else.

With all that, there's literally no need to throw around bad stats.

Im with ya.

Its like a "where are they now" of former vols accused of rape.

The the last time a former vol with a shady past said soemthing everyone jumped on that guy real quick. Not the same here though. Huh.

Clearly because Marlin waited he is lying. Just like all the people in Hollywood coming out about Weinstein. And the women who have come out against Bill Cosby. They are all just cowards. Am I right?

Reactions: 12 people
The quote I responded to said he had a "losing record" against every SEC team, including TN. Those are two exceedingly different statements, and only one of them is true.

Yeah it’s becauss he messed up the stat. I was trying to correct it.

This is the only truth. Butch was fired because of his record against the SEC. That is real. He was a great guy, and fantastic leader of young men that didn't get the job done. He did nothing but good for this place so if you are trying to trash character it's because you fell like you were personalty dissed or you just want to riot bait.

Buddy, you forgot the blue font for the second half

Memories are short around here.

Maybe he's right. Maybe he's just bitter. Maybe some dude with a podcast is just looking for clicks.

Forgive me for not listening to the audio, but is this an interview with Lane himself, or some cat “reporting” what Lane said?

Sounds like Currie probably could've found reason to fire him with cause if he wanted to. Perhaps Jones actions were so egregious that revealing all the dirt would've hurt UTs reputation more than the 8 million+ buyout, it could also be that UT was complicit in covering Jones actions, thus the non-action by Currie and UTAD. I wonder if there is some clause that prohibits Currie from digging dirt on Jones by interviewing players. It was my first thought when trying to think of a reason to get Jones fired by cause.

The more I hear about Jones the more surprised I am that Currie couldn't find a reason to fire him with cause. It's almost like we're trying to cover our tail more than his.

I'm thinking some really shady stuff went down with Jones as HC (promoting a "rape culture" or "thug culture" type deal), maybe UTAD trying its best to not make UT the next Baylor.

If more stuff keeps coming out, it won't take long for a competent reporter to get a hold of these leads and start investigating. It might be nothing but it could be that Jones really was a sycophant and let his players do pretty much whatever they wanted. Wouldn't surprise me one bit, especially after the lack of discipline during the Fulmer, Kiffin and Dooley years. Theres a reason they called it the Fulmer Cup folks!

/tinfoil hat

Reactions: 3 people
Didn't hear the exact comments but Lane better have something to back this up as this type of thing seems to be veering into defamation of character territory.

Jones would have to be able to prove actual harm ( like losing a buyout or getting turned down for another job) and it's a tough row to hoe but this is going beyond reporting a recruit saying Jones called him.

If that is true, there’s zero reason Marlin couldn’t have come out a year or so ago and told the world.

There is all reason. You don’t know how long butch was gonna be there. You always want and are a VFL. saying anything before he is gone and you would be blackballed from stepping foot on campus. These players gave their all, including their healthy bodies. Now butch is gone. They can come back and be a part of UT football again. Bring your family to games and enjoy the camaraderie of your team, present and former.

Reactions: 5 people

VN Store

Back