Making the Tourney is NOT enough

No, it's not ridiculous. Yes, those players developed, but it was not expected. That is the ridiculous statement

I think you have let the Pearl years warp your sense of optimism. Not every coach in America turns programs around in a season. In fact, its very rare. The cupboard was pretty bare when CCM took over. Maymon and McRae are about all he really has Pearl to thank for. Skyler McBee started games for us. Let that sink in.

Tourney runs are about the draw you get as much as anything else. We got some help from Ohio when we made the E8 because they had two guards that three seed Georgetown weren't prepared for when they lost in the round of 32...otherwise we would've drawn Georgetown instead of a MAC school. Georgetown, Ohio State, Michigan St. Imagine the gauntlet that would've been.

Remember Winthrop? Chris Lofton had to hit one of his patented circus shots just so we didn't get sent home in the first round. Don't set unrealistic expectations on a program with players and coaches that have never been there in a single-elimination tournament format. With a good draw and some luck we could easily make in past 16. We could just as easily get put out in the first round if the breaks don't go our way. Mercer and MTSU anyone?

Reactions: 1 person
So, the team goal should be only making the NCAA tournament?

You're putting expectations on this team based off of players. We HAVENT seen them play yet. You're setting expectations at elite 8 and we've been there once. On paper we look great. You're saying anything less than a elite 8 is a disappointment.

Nobody disagrees that just making the tourney is acceptable. How many times does it have to be stated? We just aren't willing to concede that not making the Elite Eight is a failure.

We are talking about PREseaon goals that you set with your team. I am not talking about what is likely to happen

You're putting expectations on this team based off of players. We HAVENT seen them play yet. You're setting expectations at elite 8 and we've been there once. On paper we look great. You're saying anything less than a elite 8 is a disappointment.

No, I am saying that CCM is setting the goal at only making the Tournament! you have to set the goal high where you could reach it, but it's a stretch. otherwise, what's the point of the goal?

So this team is more talented than the team with Ramar Smith, Chris Lofton, Jajuan Smith, Tyler Smith, and Wayne Chism starting, and JP Prince coming off the bench?

Jordan McRae is the only player on this year's team that would sniff a chance at that starting lineup, and even then, I don't know where you put him.
LOL, so two 5 *'s and several other 4* could not see the floor against the a fore mentioned players? I'll tell you what you and other's problems are in a nut shell. You guys want everyone to give CCM major props when he lands a big recruit, yet you then want to devalue his expectations once he has the talent. Guess what? You can't have it both ways.

Reactions: 5 people

I want a coach and a team that will put those expectations on themselves, every day: lifting weights, in practice, on the court, and in the film room

Last edited:
No, I am saying that CCM is setting the goal at only making the Tournament! you have to set the goal high where you could reach it, but it's a stretch. otherwise, what's the point of the goal?
Post the link where CCM said the goal is to only make the tourny? Yeah the goals to make the tourny, but once you reach that goal, your next goal is to win your next game...one at a time. Don't get it twisted. Every player on the team knows it's Mcrae's, Barton's, Maymon's, and most likely Stoke's last chance at a national championship. There goal is to win it all this year, nothing less.

Then why is CCM saying that it's just making the tourney?

CCM has said his goal is to win it all. He has to first make it to tourney. Why would he say Im going to win it all but he hasn't even been to a NCAA tourney? Plus, why would he put all this pressure in his kids to try to win it all? This is why he says his goal is to get to tourney. If you don't make it to tourney can you win it all?

Reactions: 2 people
CCM has said his goal is to win it all. He has to first make it to tourney. Why would he say Im going to win it all but he hasn't even been to a NCAA tourney? Plus, why would he put all this pressure in his kids to try to win it all? This is why he says his goal is to get to tourney. If you don't make it to tourney can you win it all?

Finally, an answer! This is all I wanted to hear. I haven't heard anyone else say that CCM said the goal is to win it all. Apparently you are the most knowledgeable basketball fan on volnation. 6 pages of Basketball forum snobs

Reactions: 1 person
LOL, so two 5 *'s and several other 4* could not see the floor against the a fore mentioned players? I'll tell you what you and other's problems are in a nut shell. You guys want everyone to give CCM major props when he lands a big recruit, yet you then want to devalue his expectations once he has the talent. Guess what? You can't have it both ways.

Hubbs might not even start on this team, so yeah, he wouldnt start over a three-time All-American at SG. Stokes wouldn't start over Smith or Chism in my opinion because both players are a heck of a lot more versatile. Being a 5-star player isn't a birthright to a starting position.

I'm sure you'll be one of the morons calling Hubbs a bust at season's end because he didn't average 15 ppg and shoot 50% from three. After all, he's a 5* player. They all come in, start immediately, and light the world on fire.

Finally, an answer! This is all I wanted to hear. I haven't heard anyone else say that CCM said the goal is to win it all. Apparently you are the most knowledgeable basketball fan on volnation. 6 pages of Basketball forum snobs

How are we being snobs? We tried answering your question, and you got defensive and combative. I, for one, told you he has a goal of winning it all. Just like every other coach. I've never heard him say the season goal is to make the tourney, and that's it. Youre the one who claims that, though you've yet to provide any proof that he said it in no uncertain terms.

It seems as if you came looking for an argument, and now you're mad that you got one.

How are we being snobs? We tried answering your question, and you got defensive and combative. I, for one, told you he has a goal of winning it all. Just like every other coach. I've never heard him say the season goal is to make the tourney, and that's it. Youre the one who claims that, though you've yet to provide any proof that he said it in no uncertain terms.

It seems as if you came looking for an argument, and now you're mad that you got one.

No, I said if I was a coach, that my team goal would be making the Elite 8 with this team. For six pages, I was flamed for my lack of basketball knowledge, called illogical and unreasonable. Now, according to 10ASEEVOLSFAN, CCM has said his goal is to win it all. So I guess that makes CCM illogical for setting too high of a goal for the experts in the basketball forum. I even asked to be corrected if I was wrong about the goals CCM set, and NO ONE except 10ASEEVOLSFAN was able to do it!

I'm not mad, but I am kinda disappointed that you get the same welcome in the basketball forum as you do in the football forum. Guess I need to pick up recruiting

Last edited:
Hubbs might not even start on this team, so yeah, he wouldnt start over a three-time All-American at SG. Stokes wouldn't start over Smith or Chism in my opinion because both players are a heck of a lot more versatile. Being a 5-star player isn't a birthright to a starting position.

I'm sure you'll be one of the morons calling Hubbs a bust at season's end because he didn't average 15 ppg and shoot 50% from three. After all, he's a 5* player. They all come in, start immediately, and light the world on fire.

Stokes for sure doesn't start over Tyler or chism, anyone who thinks he does is crazy. I hate that I missed this whole thread, stupid school

It's not even worth it to argue in this topic. OP thinks he's right regardless of our opinions or facts.

VN Store

Back