Making the Tourney is NOT enough

I don't think you try NOT to be that, but not being that isn't automatic failure either, which seems to be what you're implying.

There is a medium to be considered successful between making the tourney and making the Elite Eight. No one will argue missing the tourney is a failure, but if we make the Sweet Sixteen and get beaten by a 1 or 2 seed, I'm not going to call that season a failure.

So you are setting we should set our goals low so that we don't call the season a failure. I'm setting set the goal high, aim for it, then if you don't make it, work harder and set your goal for next year

right, so I am talking about setting goals...

And multiple people have answered you on that. Every team with a decent coach is going to set a final 4 as a goal.

Then you started speaking about what you expect. I was just pointing out the difference between hope and expectation. If you watched college basketball at all you cetainly wouldn't have EXPECTED our team the last 2 years to make deep runs in the tourney.

You and I both know the SEC is not the strongest basketball conference. After 6 straight NCAA berths, with weaker rosters some years, I expected to be in the tourney year 1

None of Pearl's roster were weaker than CCMs first roster. You're bordering on ridiculous now.

Reactions: 1 person
So you are setting we should set our goals low so that we don't call the season a failure. I'm setting set the goal high, aim for it, then if you don't make it, work harder and set your goal for next year

Every single coach in America will tell you publicly, and will tell his team that their goal is to win a championship. It doesn't mean you call a season a failure if you don't do it, unless it's hyperbole.

On real.

1. We havent played one game yet. It could be injuries or whatever along the way.

2. The goal is to just make it to the NCAA tournament first.

3. You have no idea what seed you will be or who is in your bracket.

4. NCAA its about match up. You see upsets because teams not familiar with other
teams and different styles. The best team doesn't always win.

5. Maybe, if you knew all this you could say Elite 8.

6. If CCM made it to Sweet 16 and got fired. What quality coach you know would want to coach here?[/QUOTE]

Nuff said right there.

None of Pearl's roster were weaker than CCMs first roster. You're bordering on ridiculous now.

You have a short memory. Pearl overachieved his first year out of the gate with players who had done little before. Every year, there was alot of turnover, with 2-3 starters leaving the team for personal reasons, health, or getting kicked out. Pearl always made do, put the next guy in, and still excelled

On real.

1. We havent played one game yet. It could be injuries or whatever along the way.

2. The goal is to just make it to the NCAA tournament first.

3. You have no idea what seed you will be or who is in your bracket.

4. NCAA its about match up. You see upsets because teams not familiar with other
teams and different styles. The best team doesn't always win.

5. Maybe, if you knew all this you could say Elite 8.

6. If CCM made it to Sweet 16 and got fired. What quality coach you know would want to coach here?[/QUOTE]

Nuff said right there.

What does this have to do with the teams preseason goal?

Every single coach in America will tell you publicly, and will tell his team that their goal is to win a championship. It doesn't mean you call a season a failure if you don't do it, unless it's hyperbole.

Right, EVERY coach says that publicly. So why is CCM saying his goal is an NCAA berth?

OP, I have to give you credit. You're at least trying to defend yourself on a thread that the majority of us disagree with you on or at least have some sort of difference in opinion.

Kudos. :thumbsup:

So, unless CCM accomplishes something that's been done exactly once in a 100+ years of Tennessee basketball, then he should be fired?

Quick, someone, Star Trek double face palm gif.

Martin has more talent on this team than Pearl had when he took us to number 1 in the country (for the only time ever), and got us within 1 possession of the Final 4, but don't let facts get in the way of your loser mentality.

Reactions: 3 people
You know that weak SEC had one team win it all and another in the elite 8 right? Please tell me off that 2011-2012 roster you saw making significant contributions prior to the season

Maymon, Golden, McCrae, McBee

You have a short memory. Pearl overachieved his first year out of the gate with players who had done little before. Every year, there was alot of turnover, with 2-3 starters leaving the team for personal reasons, health, or getting kicked out. Pearl always made do, put the next guy in, and still excelled

Ridiculous. Pearl overachieved by finishing 2nd in the SEC with an NBA PG, an All-American SG, and an All-SEC SG?

But Martin underachieved by finishing 2nd in tye SE with one returning starter from Pearl's worst team in six seasons and the NCAA cloud hanging over the program?

Heck, if you say so.

Martin has more talent on this team than Pearl had when he took us to number 1 in the country (for the only time ever), and got us within 1 possession of the Final 4, but don't let facts get in the way of your loser mentality.

Thats why its called March Madness. We caught some good breaks that year too.

Ridiculous. Pearl overachieved by finishing 2nd in the SEC with an NBA PG, an All-American SG, and an All-SEC SG?

But Martin underachieved by finishing 2nd in tye SE with one returning starter from Pearl's worst team in six seasons and the NCAA cloud hanging over the program?

Heck, if you say so.

No, it's not ridiculous. Yes, those players developed, but it was not expected. That is the ridiculous statement

Maymon, Golden, McCrae, McBee

Maymon still thought he was a guard, Golden wasn't a PG but our only option, McRae was raw and had little to no SEC xp, and McBee lmao wtf? Why don't you throw swiper boy in there too :crazy:

OP, I have to give you credit. You're at least trying to defend yourself on a thread that the majority of us disagree with you on or at least have some sort of difference in opinion.

Kudos. :thumbsup:

I take it back, OP.

639.gif

Reactions: 2 people

So this team is more talented than the team with Ramar Smith, Chris Lofton, Jajuan Smith, Tyler Smith, and Wayne Chism starting, and JP Prince coming off the bench?

Jordan McRae is the only player on this year's team that would sniff a chance at that starting lineup, and even then, I don't know where you put him.

Not trying to argue just to argue. I agree with the OP in that just making the tourney shouldn't be the only goal but you've got to have some logic.

VN Store

Back