LV 2019 Recruiting Thread

Cooke is not going to UConn. Horston could, but I really to believe they will play together. If I am wrong, it wouldn't be the first time.

If you are right! I believe going to Ohio State means they (Cooke & Horston) would be trying to build a Natty team starting this year and I have not heard of a Big going there?

That being said : we have two in a row top recruiting classes and have bigs here and coming! If they both cannot go to Uconn ? They could both come here and play Uconn their freshman year.... 🤔 and Jackson could come also! They would have to share playing time though! But coming in as freshmen they would have Evina (Jr) , Jas ( So), & Zay (So) with no relief..... playing time is there but not as starters like at Ohio.

Meme can play point in a pinch, but it's not her natural position. Massengill is a pure PG. Westbrook is more of a PG/SG combo, like Meme, but is a better ball handler and passer.

In the McDonalds AA game this last year I believe Zay played some point? I don’t think she is a true point guard but her ball handling in that game was pretty good .

Reactions: Martic
New HoopGurlz ratings out:
2019 HoopGurlz Recruiting Rankings - espnW 100 - ESPN

TN recruits: Tamari Key has moved up to #46 (5-star), Emily Saunders is still unranked (3-star)

On Tenn's radar:
#2 Horston
#7 Cooke
#9 Jackson
#35 Rogers

All of these seem to have moved upwards since the previous ratings.

Rogers on official visit to Ohio state this weekend! I think Ohio State offered everyone in the top fifty’s! 😁

Reactions: mlindsay
Rogers on official visit to Ohio state this weekend! I think Ohio State offered everyone in the top fifty’s! 😁

Also : Aisylnn Hayes on official visit to MTSU. This university is in the Hayes community. I wonder if Mom & Dad & Anastasia went with her ??? 😈

WBB: Malu Tshitenge-Mutombo, 6-3 C, St. John’s College HS (DC)—ranked #56 in the 2019 class by espnW—has announced her commitment to North Carolina, over Notre Dame

Reactions: Ladyvol777
An initial list was started early December is from Board input. I am only the scribe

UPDATED July 17 2018

Committed

Emily Sanders WVa P
Tamari Key NC P

Boarders believe most likely most heavily recruited

Jordan Horston O PG PN 3
Aislynn Hayes TN G
Endyia Rogers TX PG
Zia Cooke O PG ES 7
Rickea Jackson MI P PN 2 ES 9
I really believe we will have another top 5 recruiting class in 2019, within the next two years we should be able to get this program back on track. There are some great names on this list. That would make three top 5 recruiting efforts in a row. We are recruiting with the big dogs, it is time we played like the big dogs. This program still sales itself and I think our coaches are doing really great recruiting, however, if we can't get the Lady Vols back on track in two years, I do not see a viable excuse why. That is barring injuries, dismissals and recruits leaving the program, which may or may not all be viable excuses.

That is barring injuries, dismissals and recruits leaving the program, which may or may not all be viable excuses.

I can't remember the last time a Lady Vol season wasn't negatively impacted by at least one of those. "Plan B" always feels inevitable.

Reactions: Pat4life
I really believe we will have another top 5 recruiting class in 2019, within the next two years we should be able to get this program back on track. There are some great names on this list. That would make three top 5 recruiting efforts in a row. We are recruiting with the big dogs, it is time we played like the big dogs. This program still sales itself and I think our coaches are doing really great recruiting, however, if we can't get the Lady Vols back on track in two years, I do not see a viable excuse why. That is barring injuries, dismissals and recruits leaving the program, which may or may not all be viable excuses.

If we are to have a top recruiting class. (2019) we will have to beat out South Carolina and Texas for the three musketeers! I am hearing that Cooke and Jackson and Horston are at Texas this weekend? Will all three of them play together? Who has the best chance to get all three? Looks like they are traveling together for a reason ? 🤔

If we are to have a top recruiting class. (2019) we will have to beat out South Carolina and Texas for the three musketeers! I am hearing that Cooke and Jackson and Horston are at Texas this weekend? Will all three of them play together? Who has the best chance to get all three? Looks like they are traveling together for a reason ? 🤔

It don't matter who dey got, it only matters who I got

Just Cooke and Jackson. Horston is not considering Texas. I believe if Horston doesn’t commit to Geno after her visit, then they’ll likely play together at a schoolthey visited together. Which school remains to be seen. The only two I could see offering time early are SC and Ohio St due to graduation and roster space. Tenn and UL have much different situations with young guards on the roster. In for a fun ride until November 15th.

Reactions: olddog
Just Cooke and Jackson. Horston is not considering Texas. I believe if Horston doesn’t commit to Geno after her visit, then they’ll likely play together at a schoolthey visited together. Which school remains to be seen. The only two I could see offering time early are SC and Ohio St due to graduation and roster space. Tenn and UL have much different situations with young guards on the roster. In for a fun ride until November 15th.

Hmmm ok... I see your point but Ohio St. has 3 top 100 perimeter recruits already committed to them ( a pg, a guard, and a wing). We all know Keirstan Bell is gonna play. So do those 3 go there and give them 6 perimeter recruits? It’s possible (Jackson can swing between 3 and stretch 4 yes) .

SC does seem to have a lot of pt but cooper, Harris, Jackson, Henderson all receive playing time for a year. They’ll be seniors... is it Herrigan or grisset Dawn mentioned a couple of times as playing out of position (which ever one is a 3/4 she was taking about). But regardless that is two more players that are GOING to play for y’all. So that brings it up to 6 and not to mention the other freshman y’all signed this year and if they develop. You guys return 9 players next season if everything holds true (the majority of them being upperclassmen).

UL- not even gonna comment on becuz they are legit still in the running for 12 top 50 kids

UConn - is in the running for some top kids two but will be fairly young after this season. Not that it seems to matter with them.

TN- we have Westbrook, Massengill,Zay Green, burrell, and Rennia who switches between 3/4. burrell May or may not need some time to develop (shoot as with green and Massengill). Mimi will be under the basket or possibly pick and pop. KK and Harris will be under the basket. Our thing is we most likely get rid of two starters after this year which will either bump someone up from the bench or allow someone to come in and fill in those rolls. So we return 8 kids with 2 comitts (10 total unless something changes) so far. So we have playing time also ;-) The Hayes’ situation has opened up more playing time for this current group to develop but also trickles down to next year’s crew as well :)

MsSt can also boast playing time with 4 starters gone from last year, they are also one of the hottest teams right now.

The good thing is you don’t have to start to play a significant roll. CHW/Hayes proved you can come off the bench as a freshman and be effective plus get some accolades along the way.

Last edited:
Louisville - interesting given the men's post Pitino time as his downfall was the ONE player he and $$ were connected to.. Fund raising all funneled to athletics not academics. Then the change in the name of the facility based on remarks from the CEO. But I wondered about Baylor recruiting after their scandal that included some anti-female components. And then the academic admission requirements of a Stanford or Mississippi State and the impact on recruiting. And the Ohio State athletic dept (top five in profit - approaches winning as in recent Ohio State negative press (smile) for women's basketball somewhat similar to football. And the Lady Vols have some recent negatives that could impact recruiting.

In the world of recruiting - playing time, quality of education, proximity to family, fans in the stands, who makes the decision for the player and being a 17-18 year old female are all factors. SUMMARY; glad my income source is not based on ability to recruit. Go LVs

I will be surprised if Horston doesn't end up at UConn and North Carolina. Not that it means a whole lot, but by taking those early official visits to UCLA and North Carolina, it signaled to me that she is going to do her own thing irrespective of what Jackson and Cooke (who I think will both go to the same school).

Just not getting the feeling that any of them sign with Ohio State, especially if they aren't taking official visits to OSU.

Reactions: mlindsay
Hmmm ok... I see your point but Ohio St. has 3 top 100 perimeter recruits already committed to them ( a pg, a guard, and a wing). We all know Keirstan Bell is gonna play. So do those 3 go there and give them 6 perimeter recruits? It’s possible (Jackson can swing between 3 and stretch 4 yes) .

SC does seem to have a lot of pt but cooper, Harris, Jackson, Henderson all receive playing time for a year. They’ll be seniors... is it Herrigan or grisset Dawn mentioned a couple of times as playing out of position (which ever one is a 3/4 she was taking about). But regardless that is two more players that are GOING to play for y’all. So that brings it up to 6 and not to mention the other freshman y’all signed this year and if they develop. You guys return 9 players next season if everything holds true (the majority of them being upperclassmen).

UL- not even gonna comment on becuz they are legit still in the running for 12 top 50 kids

UConn - is in the running for some top kids two but will be fairly young after this season. Not that it seems to matter with them.

TN- we have Westbrook, Massengill,Zay Green, burrell, and Rennia who switches between 3/4. burrell May or may not need some time to develop (shoot as with green and Massengill). Mimi will be under the basket or possibly pick and pop. KK and Harris will be under the basket. Our thing is we most likely get rid of two starters after this year which will either bump someone up from the bench or allow someone to come in and fill in those rolls. So we return 8 kids with 2 comitts (10 total unless something changes) so far. So we have playing time also ;-) The Hayes’ situation has opened up more playing time for this current group to develop but also trickles down to next year’s crew as well :)

MsSt can also boast playing time with 4 starters gone from last year, they are also one of the hottest teams right now.

The good thing is you don’t have to start to play a significant roll. CHW/Hayes proved you can come off the bench as a freshman and be effective plus get some accolades along the way.

Concentrating on the freshman coming in : 2019-20 recruiting class. Looking at playing time and potential championship!
First we will have 8 returning that year. Harris will be a senior and may never start at UT. KK and probably Collins will be the starting bigs until Key or Sanders can develop to help! That leaves Evina and Davis as obvious starters. They will have Zay and Jaz as back ups or one of them starting as the 2 or 1 guard. Basically three guards and wing . Jackson ( top ten wing) could certainly start with Davis and one or two other guards. Her main competitors ( Zay 11 and Jaz 25 ) She will play and probably start! JMO
Horston as a top five guard ( if she gets by Uconn) certainly would not have trouble breaking into our starting line up! JMO
Cooke (7) (Hoopgurlz) might be a problem breaking into starting line up ? But could replace Hayes as our change of pace ???
All in all I think UT has a chance for playing time for the three amigos, plus we have some bigs here and coming with them . And with three top five recruiting classes in a row. Potential for a run to the Natty! JMO

Reactions: Only1COJ
Concentrating on the freshman coming in : 2019-20 recruiting class. Looking at playing time and potential championship!
First we will have 8 returning that year. Harris will be a senior and may never start at UT. KK and probably Collins will be the starting bigs until Key or Sanders can develop to help! That leaves Evina and Davis as obvious starters. They will have Zay and Jaz as back ups or one of them starting as the 2 or 1 guard. Basically three guards and wing . Jackson ( top ten wing) could certainly start with Davis and one or two other guards. Her main competitors ( Zay 11 and Jaz 25 ) She will play and probably start! JMO
Horston as a top five guard ( if she gets by Uconn) certainly would not have trouble breaking into our starting line up! JMO
Cooke (7) (Hoopgurlz) might be a problem breaking into starting line up ? But could replace Hayes as our change of pace ???
All in all I think UT has a chance for playing time for the three amigos, plus we have some bigs here and coming with them . And with three top five recruiting classes in a row. Potential for a run to the Natty! JMO

Didn’t I say we have 8 returning with 2 commits thus far ? Did I misspeak?

Academically, could Davis graduate after this season? If so, do folks think Davis stays at UT for Masters degree or WNBA? If WNBA, lots of PT for Burrell and/or recruit Jackson at wing...

Out of the 4 remaining targets Tennessee probably has the best chance at landing Rogers, especially with the Hayes situation. Hopefully she will schedule an official visit. The 2020 class appears to be loaded with guards.

VN Store

Back