LSU coach, what's the backstory

They are seeking negative quotes, some of her players told her what they were asking, I’m assuming the ones that had nothing negative to say. Every Coach is not liked by all players for whatever reason, it’s funny how this is all coming out now during the tournament to try to distract them. Isn’t this coming from some Sc reporter or something, I wouldn’t be surprised since they are classless.

It's the Washington Post, I believe, Ace--one of the best newspapers in the world. Good reporters don't "seek" negative quotes. There could be things in Mulkey's past that might be perceived by her or others as "negative," some incident or remark she made or whatever, and a reporter might ask sources about that, but that is fair game. Mulky is a public figure, and reporters investigate and write about public figures. Many public figures try to control the narrative, and so it becomes a bit of a contest to see what the reporter can fairly report and what the coach or public figure can keep hidden--if there is stuff she's rather not read in an article.

Ah, yes... "unnamed sources"... the DoorDash of investigative journalism.
I seem to remember an unnamed source, with the pseudonym "Deep Throat" (Mark Felt) being used by Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein of The Washington Post, in their investigation into the 1973 break-in at The Democratic Party headquarters in The Watergate Hotel. That worked out pretty well for them.

If I had to guess, based on when Kent Babb's investigation began, his report will include allegations of homophobia against Kim Mulkey from her time at Baylor.

Reactions: NashVol11 and maple
It's the Washington Post, I believe, Ace--one of the best newspapers in the world. Good reporters don't "seek" negative quotes. There could be things in Mulkey's past that might be perceived by her or others as "negative," some incident or remark she made or whatever, and a reporter might ask sources about that, but that is fair game. Mulky is a public figure, and reporters investigate and write about public figures. Many public figures try to control the narrative, and so it becomes a bit of a contest to see what the reporter can fairly report and what the coach or public figure can keep hidden--if there is stuff she's rather not read in an article.
U don’t find it interesting that they want to come out with this now, during the tournament?

Reactions: brassie
if u won’t be named u can say anything with no proof, u can have an ax to grind for whatever reason.

yes, true. And that is why a reporter writing a story on Mulkey--if it is a profile about her career--would probably talk to well in excess of 25/30 people. You round out your reporting in that way to get a more complete profile of the subject: Probably quotes from players, ex-assistants, ADs, etc. who love her and think she's the greatest coach in the world and maybe some info quotes from people who have a different opinion--who might have an ax to grind for one reason or another. The objective is to be objective and produce a comprehensive piece. I say all this having no idea what kind of story the reporter is investigating. It sounds like a major profile but could be about something more specific. Making bullying threats is not going to keep the Post from producing the story.

Reactions: travis929
yes, true. And that is why a reporter writing a story on Mulkey--if it is a profile about her career--would probably talk to well in excess of 25/30 people. You round out your reporting in that way to get a more complete profile of the subject: Probably quotes from players, ex-assistants, ADs, etc. who love her and think she's the greatest coach in the world and maybe some info quotes from people who have a different opinion--who might have an ax to grind for one reason or another. The objective is to be objective and produce a comprehensive piece. I say all this having no idea what kind of story the reporter is investigating. It sounds like a major profile but could be about something more specific. Making bullying threats is not going to keep the Post from producing the story.
Yes but Mulkey said they were seeking negative quotes and they don’t have to worry because it’s anonymous, that’s the issue I have.

Here is an exact quote:
Former players have told me that The Washington Post has contacted them and offered to let them be anonymous in a story if they’ll say negative things about me.

I seem to remember an unnamed source, with the pseudonym "Deep Throat" (Mark Felt) being used by Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein of The Washington Post, in their investigation into the 1973 break-in at The Democratic Party headquarters in The Watergate Hotel. That worked out pretty well for them.

If I had to guess, based on when Kent Babb's investigation began, his report will include allegations of homophobia against Kim Mulkey from her time at Baylor.

Exactly. Investigative stories are the difference between having a society that is well-informed about vital subjects of public importance and a society like Russia's--where the state controls the media and it's all pro-government (pro-Putin) propaganda. A lot of public figures do improper or foolish things, and it's the public's right to know about them. Many public figures of course don't like reading stories that have information that reflects on them unfavorable. Too bad. It comes with the territory of being a public figure. We have the Freedom of Information Act in America so that reporters and the public can obtain information about how their government works, behind the scenes, but conservative legislatures and individuals try to hinder the process of obtaining that information. Reporters also have the responsibility of being thorough in their reporting and producting balanced, fair stories.

For a coach as obviously great as Kim Mulkey, I’m sure there are plenty of fantastic anecdotes from people who’ve interacted with her throughout her playing and coaching career. The woman is the definition of “larger than life,” after all.

But seriously, if she’s got skeletons in her closet and a reporter uncovers them, can someone explain to me how it’s some kind of “hit job” to pursue those stories? If she did something illegal/unethical/etc., she’s got nobody to blame but herself if it comes to light when a diligent investigative reporter pursues some leads. That’s the purpose of investigative journalism—it doesn’t matter if the subject is someone you like. I’m sure a lot of parties (including the Catholic Church) weren’t thrilled about the team at the Boston Globe looking into allegations of sexual abuse at the hands of their priests, but journalism brought out the ugly truth in the end.

Not suggesting Kim did anything REMOTELY on that level since we haven’t seen the story, but there’s no reason to call this a witch hunt.

Here is an exact quote:
Former players have told me that The Washington Post has contacted them and offered to let them be anonymous in a story if they’ll say negative things about me.

Yes, that's what she said--but I can guarantee you that that's not what the reporter said when reaching the former players. That's her SPIN on the situation. If there are things in Mulkey's coaching past that might reflect unfavorably on her--and former players might have been involved in them or know something about them--then the reporter might ask the former player about the incident and agree to quote her anonymously. That is seeking information about an incident/event. There are plenty of publications in America--celebrity publications, mostly--that will profile celebrities or public figures and not delve into any negative or unflattering territory: They're called "puff pieces."

Yes, that's what she said--but I can guarantee you that that's not what the reporter said when reaching the former players. That's her SPIN on the situation. If there are things in Mulkey's coaching past that might reflect unfavorably on her--and former players might have been involved in them or know something about them--then the reporter might ask the former player about the incident and agree to quote her anonymously. That is seeking information about an incident/event. There are plenty of publications in America--celebrity publications, mostly--that will profile celebrities or public figures and not delve into any negative or unflattering territory: They're called "puff pieces."
So now she’s lying on her own players, I doubt that I’m sure they will verify everything she said.

For a coach as obviously great as Kim Mulkey, I’m sure there are plenty of fantastic anecdotes from people who’ve interacted with her throughout her playing and coaching career. The woman is the definition of “larger than life,” after all.

But seriously, if she’s got skeletons in her closet and a reporter uncovers them, can someone explain to me how it’s some kind of “hit job” to pursue those stories? If she did something illegal/unethical/etc., she’s got nobody to blame but herself if it comes to light when a diligent investigative reporter pursues some leads. That’s the purpose of investigative journalism—it doesn’t matter if the subject is someone you like. I’m sure a lot of parties (including the Catholic Church) weren’t thrilled about the team at the Boston Globe looking into allegations of sexual abuse at the hands of their priests, but journalism brought out the ugly truth in the end.

Not suggesting Kim did anything REMOTELY on that level since we haven’t seen the story, but there’s no reason to call this a witch hunt.
Yep. It's not a hit job.

Every big name coach in WBB (past or present) will have previous players who might be willing to go on record (anonymously or not) to say negative things to say about them. No coach is immune to this. And it doesn't mean that they're a bad person or a bad coach. Sometimes personalities just don't mesh, sometimes a coach was not the right coach for a player. All big name coaches are/were tough and will/did throw out snarky remarks from time to time. That's just sports.

But WaPo isn't releasing an article about them that had those coaches immediately jumping on the defensive and complaining that it was all lies and a hit piece and nonsense like that. Hell, sports media in general usually writes only puff pieces about WBB coaches (unless the negative things being said are about abusing players or very serious things of that nature, of course).

I don't know what in the world could be in that article. It could be nothing we don't already know. Obviously it's got Kim nervous though. Otherwise why not just say something like "I'm aware of the article but right now I'm focused on the team and the tournament" like any other coach would. It's just hella suspicious.

It's probably related to this :

I think The Washington Post reporter is just expanding on a long-existing story. It's a sore subject in women's basketball.

Reactions: maple
And what would WaPo have to gain from publishing an article of "alleged" lies from former players? Asking seriously. She's a freaking basketball coach.
The fact that he’s a Sc graduate tells me all I need to know, he’s trying to distract this team from their goal, this is pretty low but nothing surprised me on what they will do

I don't know what in the world could be in that article. It could be nothing we don't already know. Obviously it's got Kim nervous though. Otherwise why not just say something like "I'm aware of the article but right now I'm focused on the team and the tournament" like any other coach would. It's just hella suspicious.
The list of questions they sent her undoubtedly gave her an idea about the substance/direction of the article, so I have to think the (somewhat unhinged) tenor of her statement had something to do with what she learned from the questions.

Also, it’s crazy that she tried to play the victim about the timeline. She’s known about the reporter’s work for two years and deliberately chose not to speak with him, so forgive me if I don’t feel bad for her on that front.

Has Mulkey made any public statements regarding protecting women's sports from transgendered men participating?

That would be enough to make her a target--and an example to others for the Post to do a hit piece on her while her team's competing in the tourney.
Hmm 🧐

VN Store

Back