Let's talk about 2016 tennessee vols

The increase was due to coaching, not shot clock. We went from turtle ball to real bball. We won't have a problem scoring. Hubbs is developing the same as J Rich and J mac did. He could easily average 15.

Reactions: 1 person
He lost me at locking Hubbs in at 15-16 per. Imma have to see that...

So u just dont have faith in Hubbs just say that. Cause the path he on he can easily get 15 points. He's going to get the ball and will have the green light on offense like Punter did and baulkman and Moore.

The increase was due to coaching, not shot clock. We went from turtle ball to real bball. We won't have a problem scoring. Hubbs is developing the same as J Rich and J mac did. He could easily average 15.

So, scoring was up nearly 10% across all of college basketball due to the shorter shot clock, but Tennessee was immune to those effects, and instead was solely affected by the coaching change? Hmmmm...

Reactions: 1 person
DB don't take well to any negative talk about his boy Tyndall.

Haha that's funny. Cause I like Tyndall he could have done a lot here if he a clear opportunity but he got that 10 years show and untill his appeal is done. He a no coach in college but if he can get significant amount off like 5-7 years he'll be back in college.

Across all of NCAA D1, the reduced shot clock increased scoring by roughly 6 ppg, and increased possessions by roughly 6 as well. About a 10% increase in scoring. That's pretty significant.

In 2014-15, the average offensive trip lasted 18.4 seconds, which yielded an average of 64.8 possessions per 40 minutes. This season, the average length of an offensive possession has been slashed to 17 seconds, resulting in an increase in average possessions per 40 minutes to 70. These numbers point towards an expedited pace of play in college basketball, the intended effect sought by the NCAA when instituting the abbreviated shot clock.
The NCAA hoped that hastening the pace of play would bolster scoring across the nation, a phenomenon that has in fact taken the country by storm this season. After scoring an average of 67.5 points per game in 2014-15, team production has skyrocketed to 73.9 points per game in 2015, approximately a 10% jump.

Time Crunch: Has The 30-Second Shot Clock Made A Difference? — NCAA BB — The Sports Quotient

In 2014-15, the average offensive trip lasted 18.4 seconds, which yielded an average of 64.8 possessions per 40 minutes. This season, the average length of an offensive possession has been slashed to 17 seconds, resulting in an increase in average possessions per 40 minutes to 70. These numbers point towards an expedited pace of play in college basketball, the intended effect sought by the NCAA when instituting the abbreviated shot clock.
The NCAA hoped that hastening the pace of play would bolster scoring across the nation, a phenomenon that has in fact taken the country by storm this season. After scoring an average of 67.5 points per game in 2014-15, team production has skyrocketed to 73.9 points per game in 2015, approximately a 10% jump.

Time Crunch: Has The 30-Second Shot Clock Made A Difference? — NCAA BB — The Sports Quotient

I don't get it. You posted an article that backs my position.

So u just dont have faith in Hubbs just say that. Cause the path he on he can easily get 15 points. He's going to get the ball and will have the green light on offense like Punter did and baulkman and Moore.

He bad the green light last yr. Not trying to throw shade on one of our players, but so far he's had a ticker problem. I'd love to see him dig in and grind all yr, but like I said I'll have to see it.

Edit. He also needs to improve his shot. He can make an occasional jumper, but he leave waaaaay too many short range shots short.

Last edited:

I like your optimistic outlooks on the baller Vols, but even I think your predictions are probably a bit over the top.

Haha that's funny. Cause I like Tyndall he could have done a lot here if he a clear opportunity but he got that 10 years show and untill his appeal is done. He a no coach in college but if he can get significant amount off like 5-7 years he'll be back in college.

I get a headache every time I attempt to read your posts, where is Stoked?

Reactions: 2 people
If Hubbs and Mostella play like they did during the SEC tourney, I think they'll win enough games to make the NIT.

We do have what looks to be a better overall roster from this past season. Does this necessarily translate to a better record/team? Maybe. Maybe not.

We still lack much of an inside presence or force. Kyle Alexander hopefully puts on weight & gets stronger. He can block shots but he hasn't provided much else. He should become a dominate rebounder with his height & length. I just don't see him being much of a scorer though. Just get a bucket here & there on putbacks is all I expect offensively out of him.

We need Hubbs to step up & be our leader. He's the senior 5 star recruit on this team. When or if he's going to show it is a guess. He just plays with a lack of determination. His effort lacks at times. He seems to always be on cruise control. It's time for him to be the man for this team. He needs to provide us 16-18 pts/game minimal. 3-5 rebounds/game. 2-3 assist/game.

Other key players will be the play of Mostella & Phillips. Both of these guys are capable of going off scoring against any team. Mostella needs to play more consistent. Phillips played really well at times last season. I felt like he got shafted at times with the lack of minutes.

Mostella should provide us 10-14 pts/game mostly probably coming from 3 pt. shooting but he showed last season he can also drive to the basket as well.

Phillips outplayed Hubbs in several games last season so he should have played more. He should see considerable playing time this upcoming season. He was a 4 star recruit so he looked every bit that kind of player last season. I expect him to give us 10-14 pts/game. 3-5 assist/game. 3-5 rebounds/game. 2+ steals/game.

The rest of the contributors would come from the rest of the gang including a couple of freshmen. I expect at least one player from the roster to redshirt. I don't know who but if I had to guess it would be Jalen Johnson. Other possibilities would be Fulkerson or Bowden. I don't expect more than 2 to redshirt regardless of who it is that decides.

Some other players that should see the floor for next season are Admiral Schofield, transfer Lew Evans, freshman newcomers Grant Williams, Kwe Parker, & Jordan Bone along with RS FR Lamonte Turner.

Schofield is another player that should provide us quite a bit of versatility. He can play SF & PF. He can rebound. He's a decent shooter. He's a strong & physical player. Should give us 10-12 pts/game. 4-6 rebounds/game.

Transfer Lew Evans will come in & provide us an experienced player. He can rebound. He can defend. He's a decent shooter up to 15-17 feet. Should see the floor quite a bit & possibly even start in place of Alexander. Either way he will see playing time. Probably 20-25 minutes/game or so.

No doubt we should have a much deeper bench for 2016. We could play 10+ players per game. That all depends on if there are any redshirts taken.

Our top 3 players must be Hubbs, Mostella,& Phillips. I would say in that order as well. I would place Schofield as the 4th guy to depend on. Then, it's just the rest of the pack giving whatever contributions they can.

We have some decent freshmen coming in. All of them are 3 star recruits though. I think personally Kwe Parker is going to be the best of these but you just never know. Jordan Bone & Grant Williams should also end up becoming decent players for us.

I think Prep School(Christ School) transfer Fulkerson will end up being strictly a role player. I'm from his area & watched him play in high school. I know he's gotten better since high school but no way I thought he'd ever become D1 talent.

He's worked hard to get there for sure. If he doesn't redshirt for 2016 he probably want see the floor too much. Maybe 5-10 minutes/game at best I would predict.

Having summed up the team with my opinion I still don't expect us to make the NCAA tourney. I give us a small chance at making the NIT. We are going to be a relatively young team with some decent talent but not a tourney type team.

I would predict us to finish in the bottom 3rd of the SEC. Somewhere between 10th-12th place. Our record would be something like 14-16 but no better than 15-15. Depends on how many games we play total because of holiday tournaments. Should be around 30-32 regular season games.

I'm predicting of course on playing 30 games. We will upset a few teams but lose to some teams we shouldn't. Kind of like last season went. I say we go 6-10 or 5-11 in SEC play. It's hard to really predict records right now because there's no schedule released for the 16-17 season yet.

I do think starting in 2017 we will become a top 3rd of the pack team in the SEC moving forward. Barnes just needs to try & get a few 4-5 star recruits to Knoxville so we can become SEC contenders. We can't do it with just getting ALL 3 star recruits each & every season. We need a few better than that coming out of high school/JUCO.

Last edited:
Disagree about expecting KA only be able to score on putbacks. He shoots too good from the free throw line not to utilize him more next yr. We should see him step out ready to shoot(from 15-20 in) more than last yr. Jmo

Disagree about expecting KA only be able to score on putbacks. He shoots too good from the free throw line not to utilize him more next yr. We should see him step out ready to shoot(from 15-20 in) more than last yr. Jmo

Yeah, Alexander is a decent FT shooter but how many outside shots did he take last season? I don't remember any past 5-10 feet. I don't think Barnes will use him that way either.

I see him as being a rebounder, defender of the rim, & scoring off putbacks. That's just my opinion. Hopefully he is working hard on his game this off-season to become better.

Yeah, Alexander is a decent FT shooter but how many outside shots did he take last season? I don't remember any past 5-10 feet. I don't think Barnes will use him that way either.

I see him as being a rebounder, defender of the rim, & scoring off putbacks. That's just my opinion. Hopefully he is working hard on his game this off-season to become better.

I hear ya. And agreeing to disagree is fine. But last yr he needed to get use to playing inside. Plus KPs ridiculous improvement shooting demanded most of the shots most of the season.

I hear ya. And agreeing to disagree is fine. But last yr he needed to get use to playing inside. Plus KPs ridiculous improvement shooting demanded most of the shots most of the season.

Was just about to say the same. Would love for Barnes to turn Alexander into an offseason project and have him focus on his face up game. His free throw shooting leads me to believe he could potentially develop a strong 12-15 footer if he can stay consistent and work on a good pivot move.

Was just about to say the same. Would love for Barnes to turn Alexander into an offseason project and have him focus on his face up game. His free throw shooting leads me to believe he could potentially develop a strong 12-15 footer if he can stay consistent and work on a good pivot move.

Don't know if you were around here in the ccm days or not, but I remember a knock on his staff being not having a good low post teacher. With the guys Barnes has help send to the next level, I'm sure he knows a little.(understatement probably) But I do wonder how much quality help he has at that. Cause they need more than what just a head coach can give them. Imo Hopefully last yr is no indication.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back