Let's talk about 2016 tennessee vols

Brian Williams? No way. Williams weighed like 50+ more lbs than Grant Williams. No way in Dwight Miller either. Miller didn't have the game like Grant Williams has.

Carlus Groves would be closer than most other choices but I think it's still like Jamere Hendrix than anybody else. Hendrix was built almost the same & also the same height as well.

Hendrix was a little lighter in weight but not by much. Very similar type games. Again, this is only based on video because we haven't seen him play in Knoxville yet.

Not talking about Brian Williams.

We hardly knew Dwight Miller. I think he was injured most of the time. Seems like he had one real good game.

Not talking about Brian Williams.

We hardly knew Dwight Miller. I think he was injured most of the time. Seems like he had one real good game.

I know you had brought up Brian Williams before. Anyhow, you was the 1st to mention Hendrix even though you didn't really make him your guess. I call it a tie between you & chris33.

Doesn't matter about the spelling mistake. Anyhow, we can now move on from this & talk about something else 2016 related to the basketball team. I had stumped my own self because I couldn't think of the player either.

If not for the media guide I think you posted the link to I would probably still be trying to figure it out. Thanks!

I liked the highlights video of Fulkerson that was posted. Dude has some moves. Nice ball handler for his size. Looks like his wingspan is more like a 7 footer than his listed 6'8".

Reactions: 2 people
I liked the highlights video of Fulkerson that was posted. Dude has some moves. Nice ball handler for his size. Looks like his wingspan is more like a 7 footer than his listed 6'8".

Yeah he'll be better then excepted but at the sametime. I feel ppl have low exception already and want to take that show me then guess on how they gonna be. But in saying that doe he gonna be a thrill to watch next year.

You'll had fun trying to figure it out. Don't any of you tell a lie! You were trying to get inside my head & it was killing some of you because you couldn't figure it out. It was killing me that I couldn't figure it out too. LOL! :p

Heck you couldn't even figure it out

I don't expect much the next two seasons. The NIT in 2017 and making the NCAAT's first weekend in 2018 seems to be the ceiling. After that it will be interesting to see if Barnes continues to add similar players that aren't high stars but should be in the program for 4 or 5 years or if he tries to add a KY type of one-and-done player to his mix. Without a high star signee, Final Fours and possibly EEs are nearly out of reach, but regular trips to the Sweet 16 are. I wonder if the fickle fan base is up for less than EE appearances? Also, if Barnes gets the high 3 star signees to play very good team ball, where the whole plays better than the individual parts, will adding an elite level player or two disrupt the chemistry?

Eventually Barnes will have to balance out his signing classes. Three freshman point guards is great now, but in four years it creates a problem. Maybe Kwe Parker or Bone can play the 2 and another point guard can be recruited in about two years. Turner can't RS, I'm not sure if Bone has one, and I don't think that Parker or Bone would be happy taking a year off.

First off, Elite Eight appearances is asking a lot of Rick Barnes. While he had good teams at Texas, there was only one year in which he made the EE at Texas and that was 2003. Obviously, it goes without saying only 8 teams make it that far. Outside of Duke and Kentucky, what fan base can assume they are going to make it there year after year.

If we have one appearance in the EE in the next four years, I would be incredibly excited. Sign me up for that right now.

Secondly, adding an elite player is necessary at this level. While team chemistry is important, the team will understand having that elite player is imperative to their success.

He's got his own thread on here in the recruiting forum. He's from Kingsport, TN(Dobyns-Bennett High School) which is my neck of the woods. He's long & pretty athletic. A decent shooter up to 15 feet out but not a 3pt shooter. A good rebounder.

A decent defender but not a stopper by any means. I just think he's playing above his talent here in Knoxville. I think he's a smaller school type player not D1.

He's improved his game since I last seen him play but he's still not good enough to me to play at UT or any other D1 school. I could see him playing mid-major level though. This is why I say he will strictly be a role player for us. I hope he fools the heck out of me though.

When is the last time you saw him play?

Heck you couldn't even figure it out

I know. I just couldn't place Grant Williams with the player I was thinking about. There has been a ton of players come thru the basketball program though. So, it was easy to do.

When is the last time you saw him play?

2+ years ago. His senior season at DB. It was in the AAA District tourney game against Tennessee High. I remember his stats from that night believe it or not. He scored 18 points, 11 rbs, & 3 blocks.

They won by 3 points I believe it was but he played an all-around good game. I don't remember his shooting but I'm pretty sure he was above .500 from the floor & 4-4 from the FT line.

First off, Elite Eight appearances is asking a lot of Rick Barnes. While he had good teams at Texas, there was only one year in which he made the EE at Texas and that was 2003. Obviously, it goes without saying only 8 teams make it that far. Outside of Duke and Kentucky, what fan base can assume they are going to make it there year after year.

If we have one appearance in the EE in the next four years, I would be incredibly excited. Sign me up for that right now.

Secondly, adding an elite player is necessary at this level. While team chemistry is important, the team will understand having that elite player is imperative to their success.

Barnes had two EE and a Final Four at Texas.

Starting classes at Tennessee this week are point guard Jordan Bone, shooting guard Jordan Bowdan, power forward John Fulkerson, small forward Jalen Johnson and shooting guard Kwe Parker. Starting classes next week is center Grant Williams. All six of the 2016 class signees rated by Scout as three-star prospects.

Reactions: 1 person
I know. I just couldn't place Grant Williams with the player I was thinking about. There has been a ton of players come thru the basketball program though. So, it was easy to do.

2+ years ago. His senior season at DB. It was in the AAA District tourney game against Tennessee High. I remember his stats from that night believe it or not. He scored 18 points, 11 rbs, & 3 blocks.

They won by 3 points I believe it was but he played an all-around good game. I don't remember his shooting but I'm pretty sure he was above .500 from the floor & 4-4 from the FT line.

You must have meant his junior year at DB. He came to Christ School (not a prep school) and repeated his junior year. This past year was his senior year at Christ School.

You must have meant his junior year at DB. He came to Christ School (not a prep school) and repeated his junior year. This past year was his senior year at Christ School.

Yeah, my mistake. It was his junior season(last season at DB). That's what got me mixed up saying it was his senior season.

I thought Christ School was still a prep school though? That's what I thought I had found out reading from before.

This is what it says from Wiki: Christ School is an independent Episcopal college preparatory boarding and day school for boys.

Isn't that saying it's a prep school?

Last edited:
Yeah, my mistake. It was his junior season(last season at DB). That's what got me mixed up saying it was his senior season.

I thought Christ School was still a prep school though? That's what I thought I had found out reading from before.

This is what it says from Wiki: Christ School is an independent Episcopal college preparatory boarding and day school for boys.

Isn't that saying it's a prep school?

Yes

longrobe says it's not a prep school. That statement alone proves that it is a prep school.

All prep schools are different and he probably looking at them in different ways. But there isn't a straight definition to really tell the difference in them.

Jordan bone 165 lbs
Jordan bowden 175 lbs
Jalen johnson 170 lbs
Grant williams 230 lbs
Kwe parker 170 lbs
John Fulkerson 190 lbs
Lew Evans 230 lbs

bleedingTNorange's Avatar bleedingTNorange (48,154)
07:20 PM Today ( Report! )
Parker 6'2" 165lbs
Bone 6'2" 175lbs
Bowden 6'5" 178lbs
Fulkerson 6'8" 215lbs

Seems like many thought Fulk would check in at 6'5" or 6'6", good to see he's apparently a legit 6'8", hopefully Williams checks in at 6'6"-6'7".

Parker 6'2" 165lbs
Bone 6'2" 175lbs
Bowden 6'5" 178lbs
Fulkerson 6'8" 215lbs

Seems like many thought Fulk would check in at 6'5" or 6'6", good to see he's apparently a legit 6'8", hopefully Williams checks in at 6'6"-6'7".

He's listed at 6'7" on most scouting/recruiting sites. Fulkerson was 6'7" while at DB in high school so he's grown 1" since leaving DB.

Parker 6'2" 165lbs
Bone 6'2" 175lbs
Bowden 6'5" 178lbs
Fulkerson 6'8" 215lbs

If only we had a regular poster who would take the time to calculate every players PPI.

Jalen Johnson may not be the guy most likely to make an immediate impact this year but he’s a guy that a couple of different people have suggested may have the most long-term potential of anyone in this class. Needs to get stronger and tighten up his game in a lot of areas but he’s impressed with his length, athleticism and range on his shot.
From war room very interesting
Sounds about right.

John Fulkerson’s priority for some time to come will be to add bulk and strength but we had someone close to the program this week share the opinion that at his current stage, Fulkerson would have been the Vols’ best big last season. That’s a pretty bold statement, which says a lot about Fulkerson obviously, but just as much about the state of the Vols’ roster in Barnes’ first year.
If this is truu then the could have been the best big for the past two years.

Jordan Bowden has drawn some high praise as a shooter, and at least at this extremely early juncture looks like the newcomer with the most consistent long range stroke. He’s also been described as being further along physically than his classmates, but that’s not altogether surprising given that he had the fifth year at prep school.

Good news

Lastly on the new guys, Jordan Bone and Kwe Parker have both given some early hope that they can be just what the the Vols need in the backcourt. Bone was expected to come in and compete for minutes immediately at the back-up point guard spot behind Lamonte Turner, and he’s shown signs that he may be able to do that.

Parker has turned some heads with his athleticism, which is in keeping with his reputation. Now the challenge will be to carve out a role for himself in the backcourt. Previously the staff had looked at him as a combo guard who would likely end up on the wing. That could still be how things work out but we’re hearing he may also get a crack at running some point. If he can do that with any kind of efficiency, or at least show some potential for being able to handle it, that would be a nice development for both he and the Vols down the road.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back