Les Miles out after 2015?

Rabalais was on Finebaum at 3:15 pm talking to PF and Marcus Spears (an LSU grad) regarding his article and CLM's job status.

Near the end of the interview he said something along the lines of (paraphrasing) if Miles finished with loses to Ole Miss and aTm that he'd be out. Winning both and making New Year's Six or the Citrus Bowl kept him safe. A split of those 2 and he expressed doubt.

I assume that is his own opinion and not from a direct source within the LSU AD.

Last edited:
May have caterpillar legs. They may go 10-2 and want him gone yesterday.

Miles speaks out on hot seat talk

(original post)

"He's going on 5 OC's in 7 years and that ship is still stuck on a sand bar in the middle of the bay. Now he's hired an incompetent DC and ST coach to muck up those sides of the ball. He's had plenty of opportunities to turn it around and he hasn't done it. He will be forced out or fired after next season; it's inevitable. We're just hanging out in the dark, crapping in buckets and eating Twinkies until the life boats can get to us."

Lol thats pretty funny.

Last edited:
May have caterpillar legs. They may go 10-2 and want him gone yesterday.

Miles speaks out on hot seat talk

(original post)

"He's going on 5 OC's in 7 years and that ship is still stuck on a sand bar in the middle of the bay. Now he's hired an incompetent DC and ST coach to muck up those sides of the ball. He's had plenty of opportunities to turn it around and he hasn't done it. He will be forced out or fired after next season; it's inevitable. We're just hanging out in the dark, crapping in buckets and eating Twinkies until the life boats can get to us."

Lol thats pretty funny.

He may get run out of town on a rail like Charles McClendon did in 1978-1979.

The hat ain't going nowhere til the hats wants to go

He'll pull off an 80 year fake field goal this Saturday and the Cajuns will all love him again. Free corn dogs for everyone!

Reactions: 1 person
I didn't really believe it but now think it could happen..they have never embraced him down there

LSU: Scott Rabalais of The Advocate says more sources have confirmed his previous report that Les Miles is coaching for his job. Rabalais now writes that there are three scenarios. If LSU wins out against Ole Miss and Texas A&M, Miles will be back. If LSU loses both, there is “little chance” he would be allowed to return. If LSU splits the games, it could go either way, depending on how the games play out. Rabalais reiterates that Miles’ $15 million buyout is not a deal-breaker.

Yes, but is there an offset for his next job...he wouldn't be on the street long. VT would love to have him...maybe even both USCs

But he would be able to offer the Lane Kiffin discount to whomever hires him.

Bama doesn't pay Kiffin very much because Kiffin is still collecting USC money. There's no point in his current school paying him much, because all it does is cut down how much USC has to pay him to complete the buyout.

Miles would likely do the same thing, and a big school could get a big time coach until the buyout expires.

Anything can happen to these coaches now, but he has still done a good job a LSU. It's not the best year to be looking for a coach IMO, there are too many good jobs open.

I'm conflicted about this. You can't argue with the man's overall record and accomplishments, and I firmly believe he and LSU were screwed out of a title in 2011 when the Gumps got a mulligan they didn't deserve. That being said, he leveraged the Arkansas job to get more money out of LSU, and when you pull a stunt like that, you better have an SEC title on deck in short order. He has underachieved with the talent on the roster and allowed defensive recruiting to slip to an unacceptable level for a team with more players in the NFL than any other program. 5* defensive players should be lining up to play here like they do at Bama.

Chavis preferred smaller DL/LB. He sacrificed size/strength for speed. So all those monster DL/LB on Bama's roster? LSU didn't even recruit most of them. So whereas our defense's were about even 4-5 years ago, LSU maybe has 3 players on D now that would even crack the depth chart at Bama. It's unacceptable.

Last edited:
I'm conflicted about this. You can't argue with the man's overall record and accomplishments, and I firmly believe he and LSU were screwed out of a title in 2011 when the Gumps got a mulligan they didn't deserve.

Whether Bama deserved to be there or not can be argued.

But I don't see how Miles has an excuse for that result. If it had been a tight, competitive game? Maybe. But Bama's presence in the game didn't cause Miles and the Tigers to straight up no-show.

He has underachieved with the talent on the roster and allowed defensive recruiting to slip to an unacceptable level for a team with more players in the NFL than any other program. 5* defensive players should be lining up to play here like they do at Bama.

While the past couple of years haven't produced the typical LSU defense, I really don't think defense is your problem. With the lone exception or 2013, LSU's offense has been anemic for years.

Whether Bama deserved to be there or not can be argued.

But I don't see how Miles has an excuse for that result. If it had been a tight, competitive game? Maybe. But Bama's presence in the game didn't cause Miles and the Tigers to straight up no-show.

The result is irrelevant because the game should have never happened in the first place. It was a travesty. Miles still deserves blame for the hard headed gameplan/same five plays over and over, but that's the reason for this thread. It's a recurring theme under Miles year after year.

While the past couple of years haven't produced the typical LSU defense, I really don't think defense is your problem. With the lone exception or 2013, LSU's offense has been anemic for years.

I agree 100%. But you have to admit LSU has not cashed in on the considerable equity on the recruiting trail that results from being an NFL pipeline. Bama loads up on 5* OL, DL, and LB every single year. LSU has struggled to recruit these areas and flat out ignored them in certain recruiting classes. Zero DT or LB last year.

The result is irrelevant because the game should have never happened in the first place. It was a travesty. Miles still deserves blame for the hard headed gameplan/same five plays over and over, but that's the reason for this thread. It's a recurring theme under Miles year after year.

Therein lies my point. Miles had the same advantage that Saban had: they'd already played and could adjust accordingly. Instead of saying "We got out-gained in the first game and escaped because of Bama's kicking woes. We know how they defended us the last time, so let's adjust," it's as if Les said "We won, so that means we must have had the right gameplan, and we just need to do the exact same thing for another 4 quarters." It was coaching malpractice.

I agree 100%. But you have to admit LSU has not cashed in on the considerable equity on the recruiting trail that results from being an NFL pipeline. Bama loads up on 5* OL, DL, and LB every single year. LSU has struggled to recruit these areas and flat out ignored them in certain recruiting classes. Zero DT or LB last year.

I can't really argue otherwise. Still, there's talent there. Aside from Fournette and a couple of solid, if unspectacular receivers, I just don't see the talent on offense. What really blows me away is that the only halfway decent QB Miles has produced was a transfer.

The more I observe LSU in 2015, the more the situation reminds me of UT in the mid 00s. You have a national championship winning coach who is starting to slip a little bit, but who is still winning most of the time. LSU's Athletic Department is arguably one of the worst run in the SEC; not that different from our AD under Hamilton. Chavis left mostly due to the AD; not Les Miles.

If LSU fires Miles after a 9-3 season, it might be tricky getting a top-notch coach to replace him. Even though the LSU job is easily one of the best in the nation, who wants to walk into a situation where 9-3 gets you fired? And with so many other potential openings, it might be more attractive to take a slightly lower salary and less prestige to go coach somewhere like Virginia Tech than deal with completely unrealistic expectations at LSU.

Here's the thing: there are very few "home run hires" in the world of college football. In the past two decades, the only "home run hires" were Nick Saban at Alabama and Jim Harbaugh at Michigan. Every other hire carried significant risk. We've seen plenty of coaches succeed at one level and then completely fail at a top-tier program. We've even seen coaches have great success at a major conference program and then fail at another major conference job where there's more pressure (see RichRod at Michigan).

LSU may well get lucky and attract a top-caliber coach. But if they fire Les Miles after going 9-3 or even 8-4, it's far from a given.

Reactions: 2 people
The more I observe LSU in 2015, the more the situation reminds me of UT in the mid 00s. You have a national championship winning coach who is starting to slip a little bit, but who is still winning most of the time. LSU's Athletic Department is arguably one of the worst run in the SEC; not that different from our AD under Hamilton. Chavis left mostly due to the AD; not Les Miles.

If LSU fires Miles after a 9-3 season, it might be tricky getting a top-notch coach to replace him. Even though the LSU job is easily one of the best in the nation, who wants to walk into a situation where 9-3 gets you fired? And with so many other potential openings, it might be more attractive to take a slightly lower salary and less prestige to go coach somewhere like Virginia Tech than deal with completely unrealistic expectations at LSU.

Here's the thing: there are very few "home run hires" in the world of college football. In the past two decades, the only "home run hires" were Nick Saban at Alabama and Jim Harbaugh at Michigan. Every other hire carried significant risk. We've seen plenty of coaches succeed at one level and then completely fail at a top-tier program. We've even seen coaches have great success at a major conference program and then fail at another major conference job where there's more pressure (see RichRod at Michigan).

LSU may well get lucky and attract a top-caliber coach. But if they fire Les Miles after going 9-3 or even 8-4, it's far from a given.

Ummm Urban Meyer???

Reactions: Weezer
I'll say it here LsU and UGA should do a straight swap. UGA will get a NC coach and LSU will get a guy that can recruit QB's.

Georgia will probably finish the season 10-3 and CMR wont be fired after a 10 win season. Mark Richt will get a chance to coach promising quarterback Jacob Eason at least until 2017.

LSU is currently 7-2 (first game cancelled due to weather) and they could easily lose the next 2 vs. bitter rivals Ole Miss and A&M. If they do, he is probably gone. If they win both, he is OK for now. We'll see.

Meanwhile ... I don't like Miles ... but I f'n hate Ole Miss. Go Tigers.

Ummm Urban Meyer???

Urban Meyer at Ohio State probably counts, as well. The only real question mark about Meyer is that he's never had to rebuild a program. He's been like Phil Jackson, taking over absolutely loaded programs and then winning championships. But he was about as low-risk of a hire as OSU could've made.

I'll say it here LsU and UGA should do a straight swap. UGA will get a NC coach and LSU will get a guy that can recruit QB's.

It probably would work if Mark Richt had a staff worth a crap. As is, I don't know that I'd trust Schottenheimer to run any offense and Pruitt just sounds toxic, in spite of being a reasonably good DC.

Think that move might work out better for Georgia. Les Miles is being held back by the LSU Athletic Department, which is why he lost Chavis to begin with.

VN Store

Back