Lee Corso

my vote for Corso's replacement...

R.40cb5b8838e910020248313541fd08d9
The coach we all love to hate lol.. I’d watch lol.. he is pretty funny.. he would say something that would offend just about everyone, so I doubt they do that

Last edited:
If you can’t perform your job correctly, you shouldn’t do it over somebody that can do it better
While I agree with this no doubt in most circumstances, ESPN is doing the right thing. He made that show. The only other one I somewhat respect in Herbstreit and that’s iffy. Mark, Desmond, and Pollock,lol, are utter garbage like the rest of Gameday. The only redeeming quality it has is Corso’s picks at the end and of course the fans and their signs. When they get back to focusing on traditions of schools, rivalries, history, and getting people in there that aren’t complete morons, it’ll get better. Of course, ESPN as a whole has gone down the drain.

Lee Corso is either hammered or having a medical emergency on air for College Gameday… I’m honestly worried why no one is stepping in to check on him.

Man one thing that drives me crazy about football programming is that these networks are so reluctant to ever put new talent on air. It’s not just espn. Raise your hand if you like listening to Vern and Gary. They suck. How about joe buck and Troy. The most exciting guy out there now is Tony Romo who’s one of the very few new guys. It just seems once one of these guys gets in air they are never replaced. But ya…corso is hard to watch. So was Lou in his later years.

Reactions: ACvol3
Hes 87. I dont think its sad. A lot of us aren't going to make it to 87. Probably most of us. He made it and is still doing what he loves. Sure its hard for him, and I think the pressures of being on TV don't do him any favors, but as long as he's able and wants to...more power to him.

While I agree with this no doubt in most circumstances, ESPN is doing the right thing. He made that show. The only other one I somewhat respect in Herbstreit and that’s iffy. Mark, Desmond, and Pollock,lol, are utter garbage like the rest of Gameday. The only redeeming quality it has is Corso’s picks at the end and of course the fans and their signs. When they get back to focusing on traditions of schools, rivalries, history, and getting people in there that aren’t complete morons, it’ll get better. Of course, ESPN as a whole has gone down the drain.
Herbstreit takes care of Coso helps him all he can and for that I respect Herbstreit.

A funny Corso quote I read a long time ago. He was coaching Indiana and scheduled Southern Cal back when they were really good. He was asked why would he schedule them. His reply was when I took this job I told you I would show you a number one team.

beachvol23,I too have met Dickie V when the lights weren't on also.Besides working in surgery at Sarasota Memorial,I worked at TPC Prestancia.Vitale,at the time lived on the twelveth fairway.He was arrogant,look down at anyone not in his "class". When the lights are on tho,all smiles.He should.have been gone at least eight years ago.As far as Lee goes,diminish his talkingand keep him fresh for one more season of headgear.

Reactions: DooleyOrangePants
Damn. Didn’t know he declined this bad. A lot of repetition during that attached post. It hurt seeing Drew Carey come in for ole Bobbie Barker so let’s hope ESPN gets it right when in time.

Dick Vitale, for the time being, still has spatial/situational awareness. I get that a lot of people don't like his style, I personally think he adds a good bit of excitement in spite of his somewhat grating approach, but it's more or less the same as it was 20 years ago.

He's got another three or so years before it's necessary for him to step down, although with his recent triumph over cancer I think he gets a combo comeback/goodbye tour this year and calls it a day after the season.

Wish he would just make a "guest appearance" now and then. Lord! I'm tired of his overdoing every little comment and his "name dropping" all the time. He really makes it hard to follow the game.

Reactions: apevol
It's not Corso's decision to make--or his family's--and it shouldn't be. People vastly more talented than Corso get phased out of their jobs because of their age (age discrimation) all the time. I guess if your role as always been to be the show clown, getting into your 80s and maybe even having a touch of dementia doesn't really hurt your ability to be clownish--might even enhance it in a crazy way. I doubt that there are many people lined up to take over Corso's clown role, which may be why he's still doing his silly thing.
Grow up and gain a perspective on life.

Calling him clownish multiple times is both childish and ignorant. I get the sense you’re still a bit wet behind the ears.

He’s a legend who brought a lot to this show over the years. You bringing up talent has ZERO to do with this equation. Sure it’s hard to see him age but that’s life and I assure you there are millions of people - like me - who had a smile on their face when we saw Coach join the set on Saturday. He has a special place in many hearts. It’s a victory for him and us - and, yes, ESPN too - that we still get to see him because there will come a time when we won’t.

So why don’t you just leave the room if you are uncomfortable and stay away from typing heartless comments about a man who HAS earned the right with many of us to continue doing what he loves.

Corso had a stroke a few years ago. I like the guy, but maybe just march him out there for the helmet pick? I don't ever want to force anyone out, but this is difficult to watch. Hopefully they make it just guest appearances and an occasional helmet pick.

VN Store

Back