Larry Scott

volsbrock

I can't believe with all the bashing going on Larry Scott is never mentioned. Our offense has to be the worst I've ever seen. And no Butch does not call all the plays.

Reactions: 7 people
He’s mentioned all the time. He calls the plays from Butch’s offense. It’s been pointed out that there really are only about 5 plays which is why every team has been able to defend it. We aren’t in last place offensively because of Scott.

Reactions: 3 people
No OC would do well in Butch’s system.

Dobbs hid his offensive flaws last year.

Reactions: 5 people
Doesn't call the plays, but they're his plays and scheme which has looked the same through 3 OC's. Only difference, a freak QB who could break contain and get nothing out of a busted play or a poorly designed play.

He might not call the plays, but it's his system.

It's almost like he just has a playbook, but truly doesn't understand the philosophy behind it. Which is why he struggles with constraints and adjustments.

It's not changed much since we he first got here, and had Worley running it.

I can't believe with all the bashing going on Larry Scott is never mentioned. Our offense has to be the worst I've ever seen. And no Butch does not call all the plays.

Larry Scott was set-up by Butch as the perfect scapegoat. There is a reason the offensive scheme has not changed through 3 different OCs. Scott is simply a puppet for Butch, which is why Butch elected to get an OC from "in-house". :banghead2:

Not having Joshua Dobbs fix every broken play-call is the difference between this year and last year.

Reactions: 2 people
Do you think this his Scott's offense?

I don't based on what I have seen, it's all on Butch Jones.

The scheme is atrocious and needs to be updated. This is Butch's system with all his players running it. Larry Scott may call the plays but he's certainly just calling what Butch allowed him to call.

It does start at the top with Butch, but what's even more shocking to me is that Butch hasn't fired him. Makes me think he knows he's toast.

If you're Butch and you think there's any hope you get retained - you have to sacrifice Scott. Give fans, and administration a sign that you know things have to get better offensively. I think the fact that he hasn't done that is the most telling thing.

Reactions: 4 people
He’s mentioned all the time. He calls the plays from Butch’s offense. It’s been pointed out that there really are only about 5 plays which is why every team has been able to defend it. We aren’t in last place offensively because of Scott.

Really? 5 plays. Geez.

I said it earlier today, and I’ll say it again, but can’t add blue font on mobile.

“Glad someone brought this up”

It's Butch's offense. Doesn't really matter who's calling the plays

beat me to it...:thumbsup:...by now I thought everyone knew that...the education of the fanbase continues...now, if Mr. Currie can just be educated...we'll be good to go...:)

GO VOLS!

Do you think Butch Jones offense is really that complicated? It consist of of about a total of 18 plays, not kidding

Just because it's not a thread title (and i'm sure there's a few larry scott threads) doesn't mean it hasn't been discussed.

Where are the rub plays that we ran with Kamara out of the back field? Why don't we do anything with our tightends over the middle? Where are the hitch and go's for the Z receiver? We have done these things in the past so I seriously think Larry Scott has been the catalyst for our stagnant offense this year. It is butchs offense but I have seen good plays called before with Debord and even with Bajakian. I just don't understand, we have playmakers on the edges and over the middle. I'm lost

Butch's offense was pretty good most of the last season when they held on to the ball. And it all wasn't Dobbs/Karmara running the ball (see Florida 2nd half).

Scott doesn't have a clue how to get guys open, get the ball to playmakers or scheme a defense. What do you expect when you hire a guy whos never been a OC?

Here's mentioned all the time

Don't spend a lot of time on here but I only remember him being mentioned once but I sure don't read every page. Just don't have the time. I know it's Butch's scheme but people thinking the OC doesn't have any part in developing his players and making the correct calls is just ignoring the facts. I'm sure not taking up for Butch by any means but there's a lot of blame to go around and the play calling has been atrocious.

It's Jones' system and a play doesn't get called that Jones' doesn't approve of or have veto power over.

Debord was the only one strong enough and that Jones trusted enough to give him some leeway. People roasted Debord regularly but now many wish he were still the OC.

Reactions: 2 people
It does start at the top with Butch, but what's even more shocking to me is that Butch hasn't fired him. Makes me think he knows he's toast.

If you're Butch and you think there's any hope you get retained - you have to sacrifice Scott. Give fans, and administration a sign that you know things have to get better offensively. I think the fact that he hasn't done that is the most telling thing.
He can't fire him. AD won't allow that at this point. Rightly so

It’s his system but at some point he’s gotta understand concepts and schemes. Scott just doesent. So unless Scott has a chart that’s labeled 1-20 and Butch says call #4 then #2 Scott is equally as terrible as Butch

Reactions: 1 person

Scott's never been an OC, he was given a playbook with Butch's plays in it, he is not allowed to deviate from that play book. Hence the number of plays and sets we have is literally like 5 different sets and around 15-20 plays. Butch I now believe is honestly trying to troll Tennessee due to the backlash from the fans, media and the players. He has to be aware that he will be fired at some point, and is going to be 7-9 million richer because of it, with no headache anymore. If Butch wins he could be retained and would have to continue to endure this, which I believe he does not want to do any longer. I think he will purposefully lose out on purpose to leave no doubt that he will be let go and get his millions.

Scott's never been an OC, he was given a playbook with Butch's plays in it, he is not allowed to deviate from that play book. Hence the number of plays and sets we have is literally like 5 different sets and around 15-20 plays. Butch I now believe is honestly trying to troll Tennessee due to the backlash from the fans, media and the players. He has to be aware that he will be fired at some point, and is going to be 7-9 million richer because of it, with no headache anymore. If Butch wins he could be retained and would have to continue to endure this, which I believe he does not want to do any longer. I think he will purposefully lose out on purpose to leave no doubt that he will be let go and get his millions.

But Scott was given the playbook at the end of last season to study and spent time with Debord and Jones going over film. Jones system has its flaws but Scott doesent know play calling, rhythm, setting up the next play.

VN Store

Back