Larry Scott

But Scott was given the playbook at the end of last season to study and spent time with Debord and Jones going over film. Jones system has its flaws but Scott doesent know play calling, rhythm, setting up the next play.

I agree, Scott is def not an OC. I didn't think he was when Jones promoted him last year. That said, do you honestly think that if we replaced just the OC that we would be markedly better than we are now???

But Scott was given the playbook at the end of last season to study and spent time with Debord and Jones going over film. Jones system has its flaws but Scott doesent know play calling, rhythm, setting up the next play.

Then, those are all the things Butch knew and probably hoped he'd improve on when he put him in this position -- these are things $4+m SEC coaches are paid to take care over.

Also Dudleys87 to your point a coach worth half a damn would have taken over play calling at this point with our lack of offensive production, or even have gone so far as to relieve Larry Scott of his play calling duties. 14 quarters without an offensive touchdown is unacceptable at any level of football for any OC, wouldn't you agree?

Any way you shake it, this debacle lands at the feet of Jones.

It's either Jones' offense,in which case it has been inconsistent at best under 3 OCs.

Or it is Scott's offense,in which case Butch signed off on hiring him in his infinite wisdom.

If it is all miraculously just lousy execution by the players, then it is Jones and his staff that can't teach the players proper exectution. Players are making the same mistakes after 2 or 3 years in the system. He doesn't have a youth excuse to fall back on.

If it is a lack of talent among the players, then who signed off on recruiting them and offering them scholarships?

Jones still thinks he can explain this season away and point to how great he has done in recruiting and academics to justify him staying on but he owns this mess 100% and I don't think anyone really sees a way out of it.

Let's be real here. Doesn't matter who calls the plays or what the system is if the OL plays like they are. Nothing works if things aren't right up front.

I agree, Scott is def not an OC. I didn't think he was when Jones promoted him last year. That said, do you honestly think that if we replaced just the OC that we would be markedly better than we are now???

Don't think we would be great offense by any means with a good OC but I truly think we would be 5-2 right now.

Then, those are all the things Butch knew and probably hoped he'd improve on when he put him in this position -- these are things $4+m SEC coaches are paid to take care over.

Exactly. He (Scott) has had his opportunities, at this point any decent coach seeing that his job will be forfeited due to his OC's ineptitude to call plays and schemes would have taken over play calling at this point and try to right the ship.

At the end of the day, this was Jone's guy, and he has failed miserably. Just another lesson showing everyone that Jones is completely inept at coaching at the level that he is at. He could have had Helfrich at OC, but chose to promote Scott a guy with no OC experience, and ultimately because Jones is a control freak and will not deviate from his "chart" or whatever the hell idea he has for Tennessee's offense, he will be terminated at some point as the caretaker of Tennessee.

I always found it funny that he never says in the media that he is the coach at UT, but rather the caretaker. I honestly think this speaks volumes. In the offseason he hired several head coaches to "coach" so he can be the "caretaker", I don't think even butch at this point sees himself as a coach.

Don't think we would be great offense by any means with a good OC but I truly think we would be 5-2 right now.

I agree. A good coach would have already taken the reins of the offensive play calling and could have defiantly beat UF and USCjr.

HeÂ’s mentioned all the time. He calls the plays from ButchÂ’s offense. ItÂ’s been pointed out that there really are only about 5 plays which is why every team has been able to defend it. We arenÂ’t in last place offensively because of Scott.

Not sure this is entirely a fair assessment. Was it ButchÂ’s system when DeBord averaged 37 points and 440 yards a game? The point is that the plays are there. Not buying the 5 play theory. You may have fewer plays at your disposal because of team talent and level of knowledge at a young QB1 position, but we have seen the offense score more than enough points to win games in the past under Butch.

Where are the rub plays that we ran with Kamara out of the back field? Why don't we do anything with our tightends over the middle? Where are the hitch and go's for the Z receiver? We have done these things in the past so I seriously think Larry Scott has been the catalyst for our stagnant offense this year. It is butchs offense but I have seen good plays called before with Debord and even with Bajakian. I just don't understand, we have playmakers on the edges and over the middle. I'm lost
'Definitely got my like for so pertinently bring up the true elephant in the room. Bajakian took the brunt for Butch's "d**n the torpedoes" attitude and was scooted out when he didn't explain the root cause to the fan base. Must've been wary of Butch's ire via recommendations to other programs. DeBord, despite all the ageists' hate from so many of you on our site, is a brilliant offensive strategist. Why, then, did he leave? IMO, not only from his knowing all those numbers were going to drop with only Kelly left as an impact player on O, but mostly, I think it's because Butch never gave him due credit for his superior offensive concepts... all which were implemented only after his pleading with CBJ's stern scrutiny. Imagine an offensive staff and records broken had ol' Mike been allowed to hire his own position coaches and run his offense unfettered by Butch's iron hand. If I were Larry Scott, I'd quit; making clear the fact that Butch forced him to teach and call only Butch's pet plays. Hoke should coach 'em up for UK whilst the ink dries on a very fat contract for a bona-fide, championship delivering HC. We've got some of this country's finest players. These youngsters deserve much better. GBO!

Reactions: 1 person
Which happened 1st ? Scott's promotion or Azzani leaving for the NFL ? Whatever the case, UT's offense is in shambles likely because of lack of coaching continuity. DeBord leaving UT for Indiana...I think he had the insight to see this coming. UT should look for an offensive minded coach who is creative and knows how to get the most out of the weekly match-ups. Scott is expected to be a "yes man" to Butch's "infallible system. I'd keep 1 coach on our staff,(offense), RG, running backs.

'Definitely got my like for so pertinently bring up the true elephant in the room. Bajakian took the brunt for Butch's "d**n the torpedoes" attitude and was scooted out when he didn't explain the root cause to the fan base. Must've been wary of Butch's ire via recommendations to other programs. DeBord, despite all the ageists' hate from so many of you on our site, is a brilliant offensive strategist. Why, then, did he leave? IMO, not only from his knowing all those numbers were going to drop with only Kelly left as an impact player on O, but mostly, I think it's because Butch never gave him due credit for his superior offensive concepts... all which were implemented only after his pleading with CBJ's stern scrutiny. Imagine an offensive staff and records broken had ol' Mike been allowed to hire his own position coaches and run his offense unfettered by Butch's iron hand. If I were Larry Scott, I'd quit; making clear the fact that Butch forced him to teach and call only Butch's pet plays. Hoke should coach 'em up for UK whilst the ink dries on a very fat contract for a bona-fide, championship delivering HC. We've got some of this country's finest players. These youngsters deserve much better. GBO!

I couldn't agree with this a X1000 over again and again. This is exactly why we are where we are!

I can't believe with all the bashing going on Larry Scott is never mentioned. Our offense has to be the worst I've ever seen. And no Butch does not call all the plays.

He is CONSTANTLY blamed by people like you trying to deflect responsibility from Jones.

The O is not the product of the one year Scott has been OC. It is the product of the 5 years Jones has been HC.

Yeah... the plays are called JONES WAY. Scott appeared to have some latitude until the UF game. Because the players really did fail to execute some plays in a goal line series... Jones took freedom away from Scott.

There is evidence that Scott wanted to change the O and that he believed Jones was going to let him. Starting in Spring ball, Scott started talking about practicing under center and running more from under the center. He talked about it several times during August. Most recently he said they were going to run from under center at a Touchdown Club speech.

Pretty obvious that Scott wanted to run under center to help Dormady and the OL. There is ONLY one guy who could say NO. Would you like to take a guess as to who that is?

Jones believes in his system. He stubbornly clings to it regardless of how bad it is. He'll blame players. He'll blame Scott. He'll blame anyone and everything... except for himself or his "system".

Unfortunately... there are fans who are gullible enough to buy it.

for what dobbs had to endure with butch jones, he should be looked at as one of the greatest qb that ever left Tennessee..could u imagine if dobbs had chip kelly

Not true deboord did amazing job. Not saying i like his scheme but it does matter say i g doesn't is not right

No. Not really. DeBord had Dobbs. When the "system" failed... and it still failed very often... Dobbs had a unique ability to make plays outside the design of the play. That is not a "system" that can reliably produce results. When your QB basically goes "cow pasture" that often to make the O go... the "system" is bad.

for what dobbs had to endure with butch jones, he should be looked at as one of the greatest qb that ever left Tennessee..could u imagine if dobbs had chip kelly

No guarantees. There's a pretty good chance Ferguson stays with a better coach and system.... a coach who knows how to handle players.

I can't believe with all the bashing going on Larry Scott is never mentioned. Our offense has to be the worst I've ever seen. And no Butch does not call all the plays.

Scott never should have been the answer. Yeah, we can blame him, but he's really no more at fault that you or I if we were OC for Butch. Scott has never been anything more than a position coach outside of his handful of games as Miami interim HC, so why should we have ever expected him to succeed in a QB transition year having never called plays? It is no surprise that Butch chose him because he knew that Scott would do whatever he told him. Butch is a narcissistic micromanager. I said that at the time of the Scott hire and I stand by it. He wanted a puppet and he got one.

So blame Scott all you want, but he is merely a symptom of the problem. He never should have been hired to cut his teeth in the SEC as an OC.

Funny how it is always the fault of the players and coaches... even those who have or do perform well under other HC's. I'm even rethinking my criticisms of Azzani.

He is CONSTANTLY blamed by people like you trying to deflect responsibility from Jones.

The O is not the product of the one year Scott has been OC. It is the product of the 5 years Jones has been HC.

Yeah... the plays are called JONES WAY. Scott appeared to have some latitude until the UF game. Because the players really did fail to execute some plays in a goal line series... Jones took freedom away from Scott.

There is evidence that Scott wanted to change the O and that he believed Jones was going to let him. Starting in Spring ball, Scott started talking about practicing under center and running more from under the center. He talked about it several times during August. Most recently he said they were going to run from under center at a Touchdown Club speech.

Pretty obvious that Scott wanted to run under center to help Dormady and the OL. There is ONLY one guy who could say NO. Would you like to take a guess as to who that is?

Jones believes in his system. He stubbornly clings to it regardless of how bad it is. He'll blame players. He'll blame Scott. He'll blame anyone and everything... except for himself or his "system".

Unfortunately... there are fans who are gullible enough to buy it.

I've not seen anyone trying to deflect responsibility from Jones. I sure haven't. He deserves the most but you have no clue if you think Scott plays no part in it. You just throw out guesses and state them as fact.

VN Store

Back