Larry Scott

In a time of racial sensitivity and political correctness, many have avoided laying blame on OC Larry Scott. Scott has never been an offensive coordinator, so to place him as OC was a mistake in the first place. Why is it, in many cases, people do not hesitate to blame a position coach for ineptness, but not in the case of Scott ? There is enough blame to go around with the team's performance. Let's be honest and not be influenced by political correctness.

Reactions: 1 person
Anybody on here could do equally a good of job as Larry, it’s a pretty simple single sheet of plays to call plays from. If your good a Madden you could run this **** show offense easily

Scott never should have been the answer. Yeah, we can blame him, but he's really no more at fault that you or I if we were OC for Butch. Scott has never been anything more than a position coach outside of his handful of games as Miami interim HC, so why should we have ever expected him to succeed in a QB transition year having never called plays? It is no surprise that Butch chose him because he knew that Scott would do whatever he told him. Butch is a narcissistic micromanager. I said that at the time of the Scott hire and I stand by it. He wanted a puppet and he got one.

So blame Scott all you want, but he is merely a symptom of the problem. He never should have been hired to cut his teeth in the SEC as an OC.

You may want to read my post again. In no way did I blame it all on Scott but you can't tell me he plays no part which was all I was saying.

It's Butch's offense. Doesn't really matter who's calling the plays

Again

Dobbs one of our all time leading passers while having terrible technique

Hurd 5th on the all time leading rushers list (400 yards from 1st) while splitting time with Kamara and quitting mid season

You guys blaming the offensive woes on this scheme really have no clue.

You may want to read my post again. In no way did I blame it all on Scott but you can't tell me he plays no part which was all I was saying.

Again

Post one link to a former coach who says Butch is a micromanager.

You boys get your panties in a wad over crap that has been completely fabricated on this board

I agree, Scott is def not an OC. I didn't think he was when Jones promoted him last year. That said, do you honestly think that if we replaced just the OC that we would be markedly better than we are now???

No, I wouldn’t but to think Jones is the sole person to blame is silly

Then, those are all the things Butch knew and probably hoped he'd improve on when he put him in this position -- these are things $4+m SEC coaches are paid to take care over.

Of course he did. He’s not the type to go get someone that goes against the grain.

Also Dudleys87 to your point a coach worth half a damn would have taken over play calling at this point with our lack of offensive production, or even have gone so far as to relieve Larry Scott of his play calling duties. 14 quarters without an offensive touchdown is unacceptable at any level of football for any OC, wouldn't you agree?

I agree, he’s gonna take everyone down with the ship. I’m not lobbying to keep Jones I just think they both are terrible.

Reactions: 2 people
Again

Dobbs one of our all time leading passers while having terrible technique

Dobbs is a 1 time player. Jones got lucky to get a kid with the drive Dobbs has. Dobbs also spent time with Gruden and Peyton in the off season working on mechanics. Furthermore, Dobbs legs made Jones look a lot better than he did. He’d still be 0-Florida and Georgia without him.

Hurd 5th on the all time leading rushers list (400 yards from 1st) while splitting time with Kamara and quitting mid season

Again, Attitude aside Hurd is a special player. Before he checked out mentally he ran with authority getting yards he shouldn’t have

You guys blaming the offensive woes on this scheme really have no clue.

You certainly insinuated that he was the problem.

He certainly has a hand in it, but he was never qualified to be an OC at an SEC program to begin with. That isn't his fault. It's the fault of the bozo that hired him looking for a Yes Man that would do whatever the HC wanted him to do.

There is no way anyone can look at this and say that Larry Scott was the most qualified candidate to replace DeBord. Heck, he wasn't even the most qualified candidate on the old staff. That failure falls squarely on Jones.

Scott calls the plays Jones wants him to call and that the head man feels comfortable with. If you can't see that a narcissistic control freak like Jones would never hand over the offensive keys to someone else, then you aren't watching. He is threatened by the presence of someone smarter and more innovative than himself, so he surrounds himself with inferior subordinates that fall in line and fail along with him or they ship out. Look at his staff turnover for proof of that. The lone exception is Robert Gillispie. For the life of me, I can't figure out how he has stayed around so long and managed to lead his group to overachieve each season.

Reactions: 2 people
Again

You boys get your panties in a wad over crap that has been completely fabricated on this board

Few, if any, coaches are going to blackball themselves by going public to air another coach's dirty laundry. Good luck finding a job after pulling that stunt. If you can't see that Butch is a micromanager, then you either aren't looking, or you don't understand the meaning of the word.

Last edited:
I've not seen anyone trying to deflect responsibility from Jones. I sure haven't. He deserves the most but you have no clue if you think Scott plays no part in it. You just throw out guesses and state them as fact.

"There is evidence".... followed by what is clearly stated as speculation... isn't stating them as facts.

Scott is operating inside the box Jones has created. Just prove it to yourself. Scott on multiple occasions talked about running under center. How often have we seen it?

Compare the play calling prior to UF to after UF. Either Scott suddenly got "stupider" of Jones tightened the reins.

I've been right a WHOLE lot more than I've been wrong when speculating things concerning Jones. Jones is almost as predictable off the field as on if you pay attention.

Again

Post a link that says Butch gives coaches a lot of latitude to install their own offensive systems.

If you can't see that Jones hires OC with the expectation that they'll run his system his way... then you are delusional beyond all help.

He is CONSTANTLY blamed by people like you trying to deflect responsibility from Jones.

The O is not the product of the one year Scott has been OC. It is the product of the 5 years Jones has been HC.

Yeah... the plays are called JONES WAY. Scott appeared to have some latitude until the UF game. Because the players really did fail to execute some plays in a goal line series... Jones took freedom away from Scott.

There is evidence that Scott wanted to change the O and that he believed Jones was going to let him. Starting in Spring ball, Scott started talking about practicing under center and running more from under the center. He talked about it several times during August. Most recently he said they were going to run from under center at a Touchdown Club speech.

Pretty obvious that Scott wanted to run under center to help Dormady and the OL. There is ONLY one guy who could say NO. Would you like to take a guess as to who that is?

Jones believes in his system. He stubbornly clings to it regardless of how bad it is. He'll blame players. He'll blame Scott. He'll blame anyone and everything... except for himself or his "system".

Unfortunately... there are fans who are gullible enough to buy it.

Jones definitely handcuffs Scott. Jones made the decision to hire Scott as OC because he knew Scott would not try to shake things up and would defer to Butch, unlike a new hire who might be looking to make a name for himself. Jones also allowed Scott to bring in Beard, a friend, to coach WRs. Beard was a terrible hire. I didn't think we could get worse than Azzanni, as far as getting the fundamentals. Somehow, we did.

As for Scott, contrary to belief, he does get to call the majority of the plays. His problem is that he has yet to prove he understands managing the flow of the game. There isn't much ingenuity being shown at calling the right play at the right time (getting an opponent to think jab, when you go for the hook). Everything we try that has any complexity, is so slow developing that the other team has it shut down by the time we are ready to do it.

I can't believe with all the bashing going on Larry Scott is never mentioned. Our offense has to be the worst I've ever seen. And no Butch does not call all the plays.

You sure about that last sentence? Five years, three OCs and it's the same offense.

I can't believe with all the bashing going on Larry Scott is never mentioned. Our offense has to be the worst I've ever seen. And no Butch does not call all the plays.

Please don't try to deflect the pitchfork brigade away from their crusifiction it was tried 2 thousand years ago and didn't work then either.

Jones definitely handcuffs Scott. Jones made the decision to hire Scott as OC because he knew Scott would not try to shake things up and would defer to Butch, unlike a new hire who might be looking to make a name for himself. Jones also allowed Scott to bring in Beard, a friend, to coach WRs. Beard was a terrible hire. I didn't think we could get worse than Azzanni, as far as getting the fundamentals. Somehow, we did.

As for Scott, contrary to belief, he does get to call the majority of the plays. His problem is that he has yet to prove he understands managing the flow of the game. There isn't much ingenuity being shown at calling the right play at the right time (getting an opponent to think jab, when you go for the hook). Everything we try that has any complexity, is so slow developing that the other team has it shut down by the time we are ready to do it.

can't say he doesn't understand the flow of the game and he's handcuffed. they do not go well together. i agree that scott is handcuffed, but to then criticize him for the plays he calls while being handcuffed is nowhere near fair to him.

According to most of VN, Butch invented herpes and single handedly spread it across the planet

Scott and Beard have to be the worst hires ever made.. ..... Sunseri is relieved

According to most of VN, Butch invented herpes and single handedly spread it across the planet

Just curious, who hired Larry Scott to be OC? Then, answer this question; why was Larry Scott hired, over all the other possibilities? Why did Butch choose him? In terms of OC experience, he wasn't even the most qualified in-house candidate from the staff in place at the time.

Just curious, who hired Larry Scott to be OC? Then, answer this question; why was Larry Scott hired, over all the other possibilities? Why did Butch choose him? In terms of OC experience, he wasn't even the most qualified in-house candidate from the staff in place at the time.

Ok.... I'll play along.... because Scott is an ass puppet incapable of thinking for himself

Ok.... I'll play along.... because Scott is an ass puppet incapable of thinking for himself

Scott is a coach (a minority at that) looking to work his way up the ranks. He took the OC job to build his resumé, knowing full well, that he wouldn't have full control of the offense, nor would he be allowed to design it his way. He was likely agreeable to that setup in exchange for the opportunity. He got what he wanted. Butch got someone who would toe the company line.

Or you can choose to believe that Larry Scott was the best available OC on the market, and Butch's #1 target because of his elite qualifications, extensive history of creating offensive mismatches, and next level play-calling.

Scott is a coach (a minority at that) looking to work his way up the ranks. He took the OC job to build his resumé, knowing full well, that he wouldn't have full control of the offense, nor would he be allowed to design it his way. He was likely agreeable to that setup in exchange for the opportunity. He got what he wanted. Butch got someone who would toe the company line.

Or you can choose to believe that Larry Scott was the best available OC on the market, and Butch's #1 target because of his elite qualifications, extensive history of creating offensive mismatches, and next level play-calling.[/QUOTE

I don't think anyone is saying it's not Jones fault for hiring him. It is but some are completely blind to the fact that he does a poor job of calling plays. Butch is not dictating every play. My thought is he hired him more for recruiting in south Florida than anything else.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back