Lane Kiffin on Chattanooga 102.3 sports talk

What's funny about Lane is everyone wants to make him out to be some sort of scumbag but his former players speak much more glowingly about him than former players speak about Dooley or Jones.

Exactly. It's amazing that so many Vols fans have gotten the wrong impressions about all three guys. Dooley and Jones were not good guys, at all, and Kiffin was just fine. Anyone who says that Jones was a "great guy" doesn't know what really went down and, judging by many of the comments on these boards don't want or won't believe the truth.

Reactions: 2 people
What's funny about Lane is everyone wants to make him out to be some sort of scumbag but his former players speak much more glowingly about him than former players speak about Dooley or Jones.

He saved Compton’s career when no one else believed in him. Lane has had his share of shady moments, but the fact that he never gave up on Crompton speaks volumes.

Reactions: 3 people
This summary was posted on Reddit for any Vol fans who have forgotten what happened when Kiffin was here. This is why we hate him and winning games won’t make up for destroying and disrespecting our history and traditions.

He flat out refused to recite General Neyland's Maxims. A Tennessee tradition that goes back to WWII - every single team has repeated them before every game. Kiffin wanted to ignore them. Player leadership demanded that Kiffin make time in pre-game so that THEY could lead the team - and when the players led the team in the Maxims Kiffin stood there without speaking.

· Played USC highlights in all the football facilities. No highlights of Travis Henry, no highlights of Eric Berry, no highlights of Peyton Manning. Kiffin had Matt Leinart & Reggie Bush highlights playing instead.

· Painted over Tennessee murals. He ordered the maintenance staff to remove or replace a lot of Tennessee’s historical pictures/paintings - even going so far as to demand the removal of a picture of Peyton Manning leading the band in Rocky Top - the Peyton picture was not removed because the maintenance staff refused to do it. Let that sink in, they cared enough to risk their jobs to save a historical picture that the HC of Tennessee didn't care about at all.

Kiffin showed absolutely zero respect for Tennessee. More than anything else that is what irks me. I don't blame him for leaving for his dream job - I really don't. But the man came into Knoxville and treated Tennessee like we had no history, no traditions, and nothing to build off of.
He treated us like we were San Jose State instead of a top-10 winning program.

but I'm frankly with Kiffin on the Maxims. They are a bit antiquated--and to still be reciting them is silly, in my view.

"Ball, oskie, cover, block, cut and slice, pursue and gang tackle... for this is the WINNING EDGE." "Gain more steam."....Er: Make them relinquish the ball!

It's nice to have them on the wall--in the facility, even in the locker room--but you don't need to recite them. Just because you've been doing something for a long time doesn't mean you should keep doing it. There are a million traditions that were curtailed for one reason or another. It's like we should practice in leather helmets because that's what they wore 60 years ago.

Reactions: 7 people
Kiffin deserves a medal just for turning Crompton into a serviceable QB as a senior. The year before, Crompton was the WORST UT QB I had ever seen. Under Kiffin he improved dramatically.

Reactions: 5 people
Reactions: 1 person
Sounds like some of you folks are harboring a hateful grudge.

I'm a forgive-and-forgettin' Christian, and I say, if his rambunctiousness, and misdemeanoring, is behind him...bring Lane home.

This message was approved by Big Pappy O'Daniel.

MV5BMGMyMDdmY2MtOTAwOC00MTY3LThlM2UtMDJkOGM4YWIxMzE3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTk1NTMyNzM@._V1_.jpg

For real though, not my first choice but I could get over it. Most of my neighbors would be ok with giving him another shot also.

He was a punk when he was here and he's still a punk. Don't want him anywhere near the University of Tennessee. Trashed all of the Tennessee traditions, cheated in recruiting and still brought in the worst recruiting class in Tennessee history, was thoroughly outcoached in the UCLA, Ole Miss, and Va Tech games that year. He tried to sneak out the door a week or so before signing day and then tried to steal recruits that were already on campus on his way out the door. Immoral, unethical, classless punk.

I really don't understand all the Kiffin hate. Who could blame him for leaving for the SC job? And even though SC was his dream job, he was genuinely torn over it. You'll never see someone doing a presser like the one he did after he took the SC job. He didn't have to do it and, tbh, he shouldn't have done it. But it was pretty clear he was torn over the situation. Don't get me wrong, Lane is immature and he would be a risky hire for anyone. I just don't understand why so few seem to understand that he didn't do anything wrong by taking that job.

I really don't understand all the Kiffin hate. Who could blame him for leaving for the SC job? And even though SC was his dream job, he was genuinely torn over it. You'll never see someone doing a presser like the one he did after he took the SC job. He didn't have to do it and, tbh, he shouldn't have done it. But it was pretty clear he was torn over the situation. Don't get me wrong, Lane is immature and he would be a risky hire for anyone. I just don't understand why so few seem to understand that he didn't do anything wrong by taking that job.

Exactly.

LSU fans would take Saban back in a heartbeat. Stop thinking like little children.

Honestly, he's a pretty good coach. People forget, but the South Carolina, Georgia games got us excited about his potential. That's why everyone was pissed when he left. No one cares when a crap coach leaves.

Honestly, he's an arrogant d-bag. Most people forget how many times he stepped on his d@#k when he was in front of the microphone during his brief tenure. Constantly shooting his mouth off and didn't really back it up on the field. Oh and not to mention that we would be in NCAA jail had he stayed.

Thanks for the reminder. This ^ is exactly why I HATE that SOB!

Then youre an idiot
Most of this is made up after the fact when he left.
Much like alot of bad stories about butch are coming out now but will be greatly exaggerated tk justify hurt feelings or misplaced pride/support

So beleive it if you choose but its mostly, if not all, made up
Not dfending or attacking kiffin (bc frankly its pointless to do either) just saying

Reactions: 4 people
Like it or not, there's only one guy coaching in the college game today that would cause Saban to lose sleep and grind his teeth every night when he finally dozes off. That guy is Lane Kiffin if he were to get an SEC gig, especially the one at UT.

Reactions: 5 people
Say what you want, but as a QB coach and play caller he's one of the best.

You do remember that he got Jonathan Crompton drafted into the NFL.

Yes. I completely get you and your feelings for Lane. Now, let me hold your wallet.
:loco:

Kiffin poking the bears in Florida, same immature punk he's always been (despite the truth). I honestly think he has a personality disorder. His latest tweet:

who would of thought that UM FIU and FAU would each have more wins than UF and FSU combined?
When Alabama has coordinators getting promotions, the good ones don't go to the FAU's of the world. Speaks volumes.

When Alabama has coordinators getting promotions, the good ones don't go to the FAU's of the world. Speaks volumes.

You make a great point. Why isn't Kiffin being considered for the UF job? UF wouldn't have to pay much for his moving expenses.

Honestly, he's a pretty good coach. People forget, but the South Carolina, Georgia games got us excited about his potential. That's why everyone was pissed when he left. No one cares when a crap coach leaves.

Don't forget he was 2 blocked fg and a missed fg away from beating eventual NC Bama

I am going to contradict myself. Do not want him and can't imagine Tennessee ever making that call again. The other side Doug Dickey did about the same thing and came back and was one of if not the best AD we ever had.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back