Lady Vols Softball Team Game Thread week 6

Terrific pitching by Arnold today 6 inning 3hits 6k's 7 of every 10 pitches were strikes. Lady Vols sweep score thirty runs in the series.

Still much to improve upon. Too bad Morrison wasn't successful. McSwain has to stop with the passed balls. Rowland, Seggern, and Lockman when she returns have to swing a heavier bat. Watching Auburn the last 3 days they hit from 1 through 9. There is no let up. TN has yet to get to that level.

Great series win! Glad to see Weimer play catcher a bit....seemed to be no passed balls or wild pitches while she was in there

Auburn wins 4-3 over Georgia. Auburn sweeps the series, all three wins at Georgia. UGA was ranked what 15th or 16th? Big sweep for AU. Auburn lost 2 of 3 to Florida last weekend. I still thinks Florida wins the SEC but there is something in the water at Auburn. They are an arrogant bunch.

Ole Miss leading Kentucky 1-0 in the 3rd in the rubber game of the series. TN swept Ole Miss and I hope Ole Miss holds on today to take the series from KY.

TN goes to Lexington next weekend. Alabama, LSU, Florida, aTm after that. It's going to be really tough.

The RPI is impossible to understand - to me at least. According to that link Washington is currently # 1 with a 26-6 record and Arizona is # 2 with a 32-1 record through last weekend. BUT Arizona already beat Washington like a rented mule in their series 3 games to 0 by a combined score of 20-2, including 2 shutouts and a run rule game. AND Arizona's only loss was by 1 run to Florida St, which is 32-1-1. What am I missing?

I assume it's the same formula as basketball and baseball. RPI takes into account your record, your opponents' records, and where you win games. A road win gets you a bump as opposed to a home win. It's an index and doesn't account for who you beat. Based on what you posted, my guess is Washington has played a much tougher schedule, and Arizona probably beat them at home.

I assume it's the same formula as basketball and baseball. RPI takes into account your record, your opponents' records, and where you win games. A road win gets you a bump as opposed to a home win. It's an index and doesn't account for who you beat. Based on what you posted, my guess is Washington has played a much tougher schedule, and Arizona probably beat them at home.

Arizona did beat them at home. At the time the rankings came out Arizona had played 10 games against teams in the top 20 RPI and was 9-1 in those games. Washington had played 9 games against the top 20 and was 4-5, with 3 of those losses coming to Arizona. Plus they had a loss against a team that now has 14 losses.It could be that Washington played more games against the next 50 than Arizona but I still don't get it. Just looking at the schedules, the records and the head to head, common sense dictates Arizona should be ranked higher. Any formula that has them ranked below Washington needs to be re-worked. But that may just be me

https://youtu.be/9h-f-wSI9rI

Ralph really praises McClain. He says she's one of the three best athletes in the SEC. He hints she may not remain in the 9 spot hitting. I have wondered if he would put Holcomb there. He didn't say but intriguing none the less. He says Caylan pitched well but overall the team wasn't focused.

Ole Miss defeats Kentucky 4 to 0. I love it. KY now 5-4 in SEC play.

Missouri beats Alabama 4-3 in 9 innings. I wish I could have seen that one. I hope Turner from Alabama is ok. If you didn't see her get hit yesterday you don't want to - it was nasty. Alabama now 8-4 in SEC play.

LSU and Florida both win.

Ole Miss defeats Kentucky 4 to 0. I love it. KY now 5-4 in SEC play.

Missouri beats Alabama 4-3 in 9 innings. I wish I could have seen that one. I hope Turner from Alabama is ok. If you didn't see her get hit yesterday you don't want to - it was nasty. Alabama now 8-4 in SEC play.

LSU and Florida both win.

From Al site, @11:00 AM

UPDATE: Demi Turner suffered a facial injury during yesterday's game. She is out of the hospital but will not join the team for today's game.

Al least she is out of hospital.

9 home and 9 road games left. I am thinking a 9 and 9 finish would be a great job by this team. We really have a tough schedule with three Alabama, three Florida, three LSU, and three Texas A&M. The Ky series is huge we need 2 of 3 at least.

We will do better than 9 and 9 the rest of the way in the SEC, I predict. We've got a good team. We just need to hit the way we are capable of hitting.

Did not see today's game but saw that Morrison lasted 1 innning--or less than one!? Oh, my: So much for having her confidence bolstered by her previous performance.

Geer is hitting with power, and that's a good thing for us. RE McClain: she is an outstanding athlete and defensive player, with great speed, but she is certainly not an especially good hitter, in the conventional sense. Or maybe we don't know because all she does is hit the ball on the ground and beat the throw to first in a sport where the base paths are so short you can actually do that--bit of an oddity, this. And that's great, don't get me wrong--but Gregg she is not. Maybe she hit some balls in the gap today that I'm not aware of. I'm not being critical of McClain--she has been very effective for us, and getting on base a LOT. She is having a good year. I just can't get excited about pure slappers. This is why Vines is so good: She slaps some but can drive the ball in the game, hit for power--and she has basically moved into a swing-away mode for us since she was moved out of the 2 spot, and that was a great decision by the Weeklys, as she has been tearing it up.

I have been hard on CJ for a while now. I was concerned about her playing center but she has proved me wrong defensively. Every ball coach will tell you that you have to be strong up the middle. Gregg, Leach and now CJ have filled 3 of the 4 positions. I still am concerned with the catcher position however as I have been all year. If CJ can hit slap or whatever for a .340 average that will satisfy me. If Lockman can hit the same I think we can be pretty good on defense. She has to hit the ball and quit swinging for the fences. Geer in right seems to be ok and she has finally starting hitting pitches rather than watching them go by. I would move CJ up in the lineup and maybe Holcomb down. I would always tell Vines to read the pitcher and swing/slap according to her thoughts. I would also let Leach swing away if she is up with runners in scoring position. We must stop all these base running errors and the pitchers have to stop walking batters. JMHO

From Al site, @11:00 AM

UPDATE: Demi Turner suffered a facial injury during yesterday's game. She is out of the hospital but will not join the team for today's game.

Al least she is out of hospital.

If she is out of the hospital I assume that means she has no broken bones in her cheek or eye socket. That would be very good news if so.

c818906221f069848a370d26b7e50f2e.png

VN Store

Back