Lady Vols Softball Team Game Thread at Arkansas

McSwain's spot up. Holcomb not batting - Ralph pulls her. Katie Weimer the NY transfer to pinch hit. She stands like a statue never moves the bat until she has two strikes then fouls one off. She singles to right! Seggern scores! Weimer takes 2nd. 4-3 Arkansas.

Weird, McSwain now pinch runs for Weimer. Rowland grounds out to pitcher. Inning over 4-3 Arkansas.

Bottom of 6th can't allow any more runs. Again she gets ahead 0-2 then goes to 3-2. But gets the out on a nice running catch by Geer in right. 1st pitch ground out to Seggern for out #2. Moss still overthrowing. Another full count. Off speed pitch for the strike out! Moss now at 109 pitches.

Leach gets a full count then fouls one down the 3rd base line then grounds out to 3rd.

Vines grounds out to pitcher. Game over. 4-3 Arkansas.

This team still gets out of the gate too slowly.

This was a big win for Arkansas. TN now needs to win the next two ala the SC series.

We're too good a program to have an outfield with only one legit hitter. McLain's speed and defense are nice--but she can't hit and, more to the point, she has zero power and doesn't drive in any runs. She's had 48 at bats this year and has 3--count 'em--3 RBIs. She had 3 RBIs all of last year. This is the problem with slappers--no extra base hits, no power, very few RBIs. It's no good hitting grounders when we have runners on base. Crappy loss. And a bad sign that Moss wasn't good. We are still paying the price for the Weeklys dropping the ball on pitching recruiting--and maybe too for not doing enough to develop pitchers like Morrison, though I'm speculating a bit with that comment, I will admit.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Guess yall didn't' read my take on Arkansas...but this LV team is young how quickly some forget only one senior....and I said we would take at least 2 out of 3 from Arkansas...who should have taken at least one from Bama last weekend....they're an improved team but we have just seen their two best pitchers we will be alright for the rest of the weekend...with warm temps Arnold should do great!

Reactions: 1 person
The walks to shcroeder are intentional....Arkansas' best hitter Bama did the same thing last weekend...and I said the have arms in the outfield but not the fastest in the outfield...we're still alright though the bats will come around

That strategy really backfired this time.The wrong batter hit the home run.

That strategy really backfired this time.The wrong batter hit the home run.

She will be walked all weekend...she leads the country in HRs!! Moss missed a spot with the pitch and walked others she shouldn't have that one pitched was the cause of the HR...the strategy will work I saw it all last weekend

She will be walked all weekend...she leads the country in HRs!! Moss missed a spot with the pitch and walked others she shouldn't have that one pitched was the cause of the HR...the strategy will work I saw it all last weekend

Even if it works the next 2 games it didnt tonight. Kudos to Arky getting her ready to take that role. Walk me? Make them pay. Hitting and pitching has to improve.

Top of the order didn't get it done tonight, at all: 0-9 from our first three hitters. Ouch. And they are all experienced players.

Last edited:
Even if it works the next 2 games it didnt tonight. Kudos to Arky getting her ready to take that role. Walk me? Make them pay. Hitting and pitching has to improve.

It's about winning series...got 2 out of 3 last weekend....we will get 2 out of 3 this weekend

Top of the order didn't get it done tonight, at all: 0-9 from our first three hitters. Ouch. And they are all experienced players.

Didn't know that I'm expecting the speed lineup with Gregg back at the 2 spot tomorrow....the weeklys are trying to give other players chances but the later in the season it gets these players will run out of them....like I think McSwain has run out of chances

Didn't know that I'm expecting the speed lineup with Gregg back at the 2 spot tomorrow....the weeklys are trying to give other players chances but the later in the season it gets these players will run out of them....like I think McSwain has run out of chances

I expect her to be riding the pine tomorrow and maybe Sunday too--at least at the start of games. She's just not hitting. It is unfortunate because we need 1) right-hand hitting; and 2) some power. McSwain has 2 homers this year--which isn't anything to brag about but nobody other than Gregg has more than two. Gregg has 7 of the 15 homers we've hit this year.

You know most everyone thinks the hitting will come around and I hope it does but we are far enough in the year it needs to happen!! I know the team is young and all of that but I am not sure it will be a lot better. I know that the slappers have got to get on base but someone has to help Gregg and Geer drive the ball. Very disappointed in Lockman and Rowland and Scarlett is the same as last year. As armchair said we have and will continue to suffer for the lack of quality pitchers these last few years. Moss and Arnold are young too but they are hardly overpowering. The team seems to be in a rut. JMHO

Lockman has improved at the plate, and I think Rowland and Seggern will become good hitters--Rowland had a two-RBI hit tonight--but the latter two are first-year players. But it was the top of the order that was the problem at the plate tonight.

Did you hear Karen Weekly complaining about the field after the game? Apparently, the field was very wet--not sure why--and she (and Ralph) were not happy about it. Did Arkansas water the field excessively to slow down the speedy Vols? It was either that--which has been done before in this sport and baseball--or recent rain, not sure, but Karen said they started McSwain instead of Holcomb because of the field. She called the field "dangerous" and said they were going to talk to Arkansas people about it. She was not happy about it--and also not happy with a couple of plays in the Arkansas four-run inning in which Vol players did not get a good jump on balls and Arkansas players got on base--and then scored on the grand slam. Did not see the game so don't know what happened on those plays before the homer.

Lockman has improved at the plate, and I think Rowland and Seggern will become good hitters--Rowland had a two-RBI hit tonight--but the latter two are first-year players. But it was the top of the order that was the problem at the plate tonight.

Did you hear Karen Weekly complaining about the field after the game? Apparently, the field was very wet--not sure why--and she (and Ralph) were not happy about it. Did Arkansas water the field excessively to slow down the speedy Vols? It was either that--which has been done before in this sport and baseball--or recent rain, not sure, but Karen said they started McSwain instead of Holcomb because of the field. She called the field "dangerous" and said they were going to talk to Arkansas people about it. She was not happy about it--and also not happy with a couple of plays in the Arkansas four-run inning in which Vol players did not get a good jump on balls and Arkansas players got on base--and then scored on the grand slam. Did not see the game so don't know what happened on those plays before the homer.

Yes the infield was wet...just watched the highlights....not sure why it was so wet :question: hopefully it makes the LV mad and they come out and run rule Arkansas the next two games

Yes the field was very wet, excessively so. It looked like it came a downpour 5 minutes before the game started. Although I did not see the grounds crew water the infield, that's what I believe happened.

Regarding the Grand Slam, there were two outs and two strikes on a batter, she then caught a ball off the fist of the bat and it barely goes over the top of Gregg's glove at short. At the time I thought Gregg was going to catch the ball but she missed it. The next batter walked, that one was on Matty, then there was an infield hit that should have been an out that loaded the bases. Then the Grand Slam. Karen was referring to the ball over Gregg's glove and the failure to throw the runner out at first.

This game was one strike away from being a 3 to nothing win for Tennessee, and one blown call by the umpire - Geer leaving first base early right before Seggern's double - from being a 4 to 4 tie heading into the bottom of the 7th.

Tennessee has got to be more aggressive early in the game, especially at the plate, in my opinion. They are entirely too slow to start a ball game. They're reacting instead of acting.

VN Store

Back