Lady Vols Recruiting Info

Is Dunbar athletic? I worry when UT gets talented shooters because we have had several of them in recent years who were not athletic enough to be good at this level. You need to be athletic to play defense, get your shot off against tough defenders, etc.

Is Dunbar athletic? I worry when UT gets talented shooters because we have had several of them in recent years who were not athletic enough to be good at this level. You need to be athletic to play defense, get your shot off against tough defenders, etc.
What I'd like to know is why she committed without taking her scheduled visits to other schools. Could the other schools have withdrawn their interest?

I wouldn't expect too much, being ranked so low (high 80s). Perhaps Holly saw something in her that the rating services all missed?

Holly has commitments from 2 guard Middleton and now 2 guard Dunbar, and is apparently continuing to pursue 2 guards Gabby Green and Jamie Nared. Does Holly not feel good about our chances with the higher ranked players? Or does she really like the 2 current commitments we have regardless of the higher ranked players? Is there is a need for more guard/wing players on this team? And with each commitment, do other recruits at the same position see the increasing competition for playing time? I am thrilled with the new commitment, but don't understand the big picture.

Holly has commitments from 2 guard Middleton and now 2 guard Dunbar, and is apparently continuing to pursue 2 guards Gabby Green and Jamie Nared. Does Holly not feel good about our chances with the higher ranked players? Or does she really like the 2 current commitments we have regardless of the higher ranked players? Is there is a need for more guard/wing players on this team? And with each commitment, do other recruits at the same position see the increasing competition for playing time? I am thrilled with the new commitment, but don't understand the big picture.

Middleton is a 1/2 Dunbar is a 2/3/4 Holly and her staff know what they're doing and Dunbar was ranked so low because she used to be 5'7 before a growth and now is 6'2

MWRR - Midwest Girls Basketball Recruiting Report

LaJahna Drummer is off the board, having committed to UCLA as of 9-3-13. Coach Close is putting together a pretty good class out in LA. At least two that were on the Lady Vol radar with Drummer and Jordin Canada. Looks like a top 5 class right now. Stanford may actually be in a fight for the PAC 12 conference title in a year or two.

Jim

Middleton is a 1/2 Dunbar is a 2/3/4 Holly and her staff know what they're doing and Dunbar was ranked so low because she used to be 5'7 before a growth and now is 6'2

MWRR - Midwest Girls Basketball Recruiting Report
Her growth spurt occurred during her freshman year. By 10th grade she was already 6'1". I can't believe all of the rating services are clueless enough to be 2 years out of date, not can I think of anyone ranked 80th that turned out to be a premier player.

As Vol72 suggested, I think Holly doesn't feel that her chances of getting a higher ranked player are very good.

Last edited:
I enjoy this thread. I appreciate those of you who help to keep it updated.

:hi:

She reminds me a lot of Spencer being able to play inside and outside. Has the knack for hitting big shots. I think she has to grow into her growth spurt, but the skills she obtained while 5'7" will be valuable at her new height.

We really need a top quality post player in this class hopefully White will be a Vol.

Perhaps playing in the shadow of Emmonnie Henderson last season suppressed some people's opinions of ranking her higher. Perhaps while recruiting Henderson last year, Warlick and the staff saw a big upside to her game? Perhaps J. Law has some inside knowledge of her game, work ethic, capabilities, etc., having coached recently in the state of Illinois??? A promising indicator is that Middleton and Dunbar accepted their offers early and lunged at the cherished opportunity to to be a Lady Vol. They get it.

Reactions: 1 person
Perhaps playing in the shadow of Emmonnie Henderson last season suppressed some people's opinions of ranking her higher. Perhaps while recruiting Henderson last year, Warlick and the staff saw a big upside to her game? Perhaps J. Law has some inside knowledge of her game, work ethic, capabilities, etc., having coached recently in the state of Illinois??? A promising indicator is that Middleton and Dunbar accepted their offers early and lunged at the cherished opportunity to to be a Lady Vol. They get it.
I think that playing with Henderson helped her rating. Many coaches and analysts saw her when going to see Henderson who otherwise would not have seen her at all. Also, with opposing defenses keying on Henderson, Dunbar attracted less defensive opposition.

Holly Warlick's the coach who made this recruiting decision, and you and I are posters--is what I think.

Reactions: 2 people
i'm ready for some Lady Vol basketball,it seems CHW and company are hitting the recruiting trail hard,as has been stated,i would like to see a good post player too and i do wish she would get some quality depth on the bench,i thought they were out of gas last year,with the injuries and all,like in football,here is to hoping for no major injuries this year

and i do like all the information in this thread ,keep it up please :)

Tennessee makes the final five for Gabby Green. Cal seems to be the major competition in that group as she eliminated Duke.

A'ja Wilson will be in Knoxville again, but this time on an official visit on Oct. 5th! I still have a feeling that she ends up at S. Carolina (seemed to work out well for Kelsey Bone), but if Holly and crew can pull her in it'd be HUGE! It'd be great to see her and Mercedes on the court together!

Reactions: 1 person
Tennessee makes the final five for Gabby Green. Cal seems to be the major competition in that group as she eliminated Duke.

I was really surprised to see Cal as the only school out west in her final five. Unless there is some family connection I would be surprised to see Rutgers make the final cut. However, LSU, and OSU could provide some stiff competition.

Some posters on the Cal board seem to think that it will come down to Cal and Tennessee. Hope they are right and that Ms Green sees her way to Rocky Top.

Jim

Reactions: 2 people
TNRitz

Kelsey Bone transferred the hell away from South Carolina asap & went to Tx A&M..

fyi

TNRitz

Kelsey Bone transferred the hell away from South Carolina asap & went to Tx A&M..

fyi

gule,

I got the impression that TnRitz was being sarcastic.

Dawn has done a pretty good job with guard types, not so much with post players. That might actually work in her favor with Wilson since she sees herself as a wing/guard moreso than a post player.

Jim

FYI on Prospect Nation, Dunbar jumped from 81 to 43 in the new ranking released today

That's good. Now who do we get amongst the top ten players? That is what it will take to get back on top. You gotta get your share of the elite talent. Who are we in on that has that sort of talent?

Edit: Just checked --- Green and Wilson are the only uncommitted top ten players. We are gonna have to get both to gain much ground. One is a necessity to hold serve I would think. The talent seems to be distributing out a lot more this year rather than concentrating in a few teams so that helps us a bit.

Last edited:
There will be some late bloomers. Always are. Maybe she will be like Spencer and just get better and better.
Probably has most to do with being picked by Tenn. Players seem to get a boost in rating when picked by schools known to pick good players.

Also, the rating services are a business and have biases based on player affiliation. Nor do they have unlimited budgets to see players. I take their rankings with a grain of salt.

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back