Lady Vols Recruiting Info

I thought Holly did a really good job coaching right up through the SEC tournament this year. After that sec tournament win the team had a big psychological let down. Great coaches manage their team psychology well. Holly hasn't figured that out yet.

Listen to Warlick at press conferences…she doesn't have the brass and the smarts that great head coaches have. That's my opinion. UT has had recruiting and coaching issues for the last decade. It's not about recruiting players who rank highly or who have "heart," it is about finding athletic players with well-rounded games--like Carter and Harrison. We've had a ton of one-dimensional players in recent years or highly ranked players who simply didn't have the skills or athleticism to excel at the next level. That's why evaluation is key. I think Warlick and her staff have actually recruited fairly well--we got the no. 1 recruit in the country last year; unfortunately, she isn't as good as No. 1 players usually are, but she will help us. This coming year is HUGE for the program. I've said that for the last two years, but it is especially true now.

I guess we need to recruit all lesbian players, seems like they have been our best with the except of C Parker...
It's working for the wnba's lynx....

:) j/k

When people started saying oh so and so isn't ranked high...but the girls are absolute ballers as shown in the all-star games they played in...the coaches know what they're doing

I agree. I don't think any serious coach picks a player based on ranking services. The wcbb ranking services have limited resources. In many cases they have had little first hand observation of recruits. Coaches OTOH are looking at their prospective players very closely and they are talking to their coaches and fellow players.

I agree about holly's press briefings, she's turrible!
Agreed. Every time she said, "I don't know." in answer to a question, I cringed. But...she still won one regular season and one tournament in the SEC, and that is good for a two year coach, so hope springs!

Reactions: 1 person
Agreed. Every time she said, "I don't know." in answer to a question, I cringed. But...she still won one regular season and one tournament in the SEC, and that is good for a two year coach, so hope springs!

You realize that she has been coaching for 30+ years and is pretty close to retirement? Let's please stop promoting this silly idea that she is a coaching newbie! And I don't give her a lot of credit for winning the SEC either. We've got more talent than anybody in the conference, and have won the SEC probably 28 out of the last 30 years. I realize that is a no-win situation for her but winning the SEC is not exactly our bar.

I'll be really interested to see how this next year goes. JMO we have more talent on this next team than we had last season. I also want to see if Holly plays the best players or lets seniority rule. If she plays the best players I see Nared putting Burdick on the bench for a lot of minutes. I will also be interested to see if Russell had a great off season and has developed her strength and her game. I think she should be ready to be a go to player in the post. I think the three point shooting will be better so expecting this team to make the final four seems more likely than last year's team.

Reactions: 2 people
You realize that she has been coaching for 30+ years and is pretty close to retirement? Let's please stop promoting this silly idea that she is a coaching newbie! And I don't give her a lot of credit for winning the SEC either. We've got more talent than anybody in the conference, and have won the SEC probably 28 out of the last 30 years. I realize that is a no-win situation for her but winning the SEC is not exactly our bar.
Gosh, armchair, don't get so upset with me. Still seems like a head coach is a 'whole nother world' from assistant coach. And talent is equalizing over the teams nationally, and the SEC is still the premier conference, so yes, I do think she deserves some credit. I'm not arguing that she needs to produce at a higher level; Lady Vols play for NC after winning the SEC. I was in Louisville and I agree with Sandvol. That game was NOT acceptable. But give her another couple of years, her own recruits, and time for the shock, trauma whatever you call it of Pat's leaving to subside. And, no, she wasn't my first choice, but I agreed that she had earned consideration. If it's like this after a fair chance, then she needs to go.

Reactions: 3 people
"And talent is equalizing over the teams nationally, and the SEC is still the premier conference,"

I don't think that is the case. Talent is limited and the "haves" get more than their share. As for the SEC - just talking wcbb - I think a good argument could be made that there are a couple of other conferences just as strong if not stronger. Check out Sagarin's wcbb conference rankings.

You don't think I'm intelligent enough to realize what is silly and what is not? Now, to call it a silly notion is silly. You keep harping on the fact she has been coaching 30+ years. Not the same as being the head coach and you know it. I wouldn't go around calling anybody's notions silly until you examine some of your own.

Reactions: 4 people
Topic: ESPN Charlie Creme's Pre-preseason Top 25

1. Connecticut
2. *****South Carolina
3. *****Tennessee
4. *****Texas A&M
5. Notre Dame
6. *****Kentucky
7. Duke
8. Michigan St.
9. Texas
10. North Carolina

*****Everybody's opinions are free, but the SEC looks pretty good from this perspective. Just hope this guy's as smart as he thinks he is.

2nd year head coach,she has done a pretty damn good job so far and no it isn't the same as being the head coach

head-coach training. Some assistants do take over at good programs--but it is risky and so it is rare, and that is especially true with somebody who's got as many coaching miles on her as Warlick. She had an easy opportunity to get us to the Final Four last year and we utterly collapsed against louisville--the first tough NCAA game we had. We should have intimidated Louisville; instead, our players got intimidated by them and spooked by a big game. This year we got blown out by Maryland in the first real NCAA challenge we had. Good coaching? Why, because we still beat auburn and mississippi state?

head-coach training. Some assistants do take over at good programs--but it is risky and so it is rare, and that is especially true with somebody who's got as many coaching miles on her as Warlick. She had an easy opportunity to get us to the Final Four last year and we utterly collapsed against louisville--the first tough NCAA game we had. We should have intimidated Louisville; instead, our players got intimidated by them and spooked by a big game. This year we got blown out by Maryland in the first real NCAA challenge we had. Good coaching? Why, because we still beat auburn and mississippi state?

Yes, their head coaches are better. So what? Give her a chance to develop as a head coach. If she doesn't then can her. Don't expect her to be the best at the start. It even took Pat a few years to get there.

She has been coaching for 30 years, but that's being an assistant coach! Not a head coach, so go ahead and simmer on down. Yes she is a coaching newbie when it comes to being a head coach and getting the players that played under Pat Summit to respect her way of coaching and respect her as a head coach. Her first year won the regular season in the SEC when everyone doubted her and the team and we still overachieved. Next season won the SEC tournament, which didn't come easy. You have to understand that there is way more parity in WCBB then there ever was, especially in the SEC! South Carolina wasn't ranked higher than us for no reason. If I'm not mistaken 7 teams made it to the tournament from the SEC that's magnificent. Don't get me wrong I want us to compete for NC's like the rest of us, but at the same time I understand it takes a little time. This year we should definitely compete! We have all the pieces now we just have to put it together and play some Tenn ball.

Are you serious? We should have intimidated Louisville and why would you think that? You must have bumped your head or didn't watch Louisville play Baylor. No way was Louisville was going to be intimidated by playing us when they just beat the favorite to repeat Baylor. They played their butts off against 6'8 Brittany Griner, which 5'8 Schoni Schimmer attacked her several times and scored or got foul and got sent to the line. So NO they wasn't going to be intimidated by use. Now against Maryland yeah I agree we could have played much better than what we did. When it boils down to it basketball is a players game. We need players to buy in and I think we have that this year. I liked Meghan Simmons and all, but she took way too many shots and I feel hurt the other players on the court. Just my opinion

Reactions: 3 people
Sadly, since I have championed Ms. Simmons long & hard for 4 years, I must agree with you last comment. She shot too much, to the detriment of her teammates. But, she was better than they at scoring by a long shot and you don't win without outscoring the other team. We needed her to shoot most of the time because our big girls couldn't make a layup....

We have disagreed on views of Ms. Simmons but this is dead on, I have not seen nothing in the last two seasons that would make me believe any different unless the coaches change there approach. Lord knows I hope she proves me wrong but think about this i have watched us get beat by one player dominating our whole team the Chiney sisters averaged like 30 pts and 20 rbs leading their team to victory, not once did I see any strategy to slow either down I have a whole list Sugar Rogers, Danielle Ballard, Foggie, etc and recently A. Thomas(Maryland) 30pts and 20rbs if you have watched any film on Maryland you would have known to keep the ball out of her hands and what we do? Let her run around at free will doing any an everything WHY???????

With as much talent as we have no one player should ever dominate our whole team!! If you take away what the opponent does best you will be there at the end. You have to be a good defensive team to go deep in the tournament and we have not..

You lost all credibility when you said we won the SEC 28 of the last 30 years. Pat wasn't nearly as dominant as you think she was.

We have disagreed on views of Ms. Simmons but this is dead on, I have not seen nothing in the last two seasons that would make me believe any different unless the coaches change there approach. Lord knows I hope she proves me wrong but think about this i have watched us get beat by one player dominating our whole team the Chiney sisters averaged like 30 pts and 20 rbs leading their team to victory, not once did I see any strategy to slow either down I have a whole list Sugar Rogers, Danielle Ballard, Foggie, etc and recently A. Thomas(Maryland) 30pts and 20rbs if you have watched any film on Maryland you would have known to keep the ball out of her hands and what we do? Let her run around at free will doing any an everything WHY???????

With as much talent as we have no one player should ever dominate our whole team!! If you take away what the opponent does best you will be there at the end. You have to be a good defensive team to go deep in the tournament and we have not..

Great D was always a hallmark of a Pat Summit coached team. This and toughness. I don't see the characteristic Lady Vol toughness; more a will to not lose than anything else. Perhaps it was Pat focusing her personality on her players, but Holly must create a tough mindset in her players that has been lacking. Oh, and please learn to pass the ball (especially inside to the bigs) and limit their ball-handling. :yes:

"Great D was always a hallmark of a Pat Summit coached team."

Not so. Great D was seldom an attribute of a Pat Summitt coached team. In fact the only year, of the last 11 of her coaching career, where UT D might be considered "great", or at least very good, was 2006/7 where the team ranked 16th in defense. Of those same 11 years the team's average defense ranking was 82nd.

UT had that one girl on those championship teams to carry the team. And she was surrounded by a great group of girls who knew their roles within the team.

She has been coaching for 30 years, but that's being an assistant coach! Not a head coach, so go ahead and simmer on down. Yes she is a coaching newbie when it comes to being a head coach and getting the players that played under Pat Summit to respect her way of coaching and respect her as a head coach. Her first year won the regular season in the SEC when everyone doubted her and the team and we still overachieved. Next season won the SEC tournament, which didn't come easy. You have to understand that there is way more parity in WCBB then there ever was, especially in the SEC! South Carolina wasn't ranked higher than us for no reason. If I'm not mistaken 7 teams made it to the tournament from the SEC that's magnificent. Don't get me wrong I want us to compete for NC's like the rest of us, but at the same time I understand it takes a little time. This year we should definitely compete! We have all the pieces now we just have to put it together and play some Tenn ball.

That's not due to coaching?? Show me where?

Do you prefer Quality or Quantity?

Having 8 teams in the tourney and all getting embarrassed shows no evidence of a strong conference?

You're right we have and/we had all the pieces to go deep???

VN Store

Back