Lady Vols recruiting 2018 & beyond

If Tennessee does not make the NCAA tournament this year, do you think this will hurt our recruiting for the 2018 class.

It's tough not to make the tournament. Sadly, making the tournament is not a sign of quality. Last year over 50 of the WCBB teams that were selected were not very good basketball teams. There were a lot of ugly games full of turnovers, fouls, and poor shooting. On the men's side, it isn't quite as bad, but there were still a lot of lousy men's teams who got in with automatic bids. And then there is tier number two for women: the NIT. Tier number three: Women's Basketball Invitational. On the men's side, there are four tournaments. Just about everyone gets an invitation to something.

In answer to the question, Tennessee only has three losses. Tennessee will be in the tournament. The bigger impediment to 2018 recruiting is that it is hard to get back to back super classes of recruits. A lot of young players will see the 2017 class and ask "Where would I fit in?"

It's tough not to make the tournament. Sadly, making the tournament is not a sign of quality. Last year over 50 of the WCBB teams that were selected were not very good basketball teams. There were a lot of ugly games full of turnovers, fouls, and poor shooting. On the men's side, it isn't quite as bad, but there were still a lot of lousy men's teams who got in with automatic bids. And then there is tier number two for women: the NIT. Tier number three: Women's Basketball Invitational. On the men's side, there are four tournaments. Just about everyone gets an invitation to something.

In answer to the question, Tennessee only has three losses. Tennessee will be in the tournament. The bigger impediment to 2018 recruiting is that it is hard to get back to back super classes of recruits. A lot of young players will see the 2017 class and ask "Where would I fit in?"

True about the 2018 class. Sad but there are only about 10 good teams in the girls. Tennessee will come together soon and will be just fine.

Unfortunately, this thread on recruiting, has already started to devolve (like its predecessor) into complaints about the coaching staff.

Is it really too much to ask of those of you who seem to be perpetually dissatisfied to open your own thread or to go to one of those numerous threads complaining about the status of the Lady Vol program to p!ss and moan? I, too, have concerns about the state of the current program, but I would like to keep this thread about the young ladies who are interested in, and considering playing, for the Lady Vols.

Thank you in advance for your anticipated cooperation.

Jim

Reactions: 11 people
Ok, back to recruiting.

I cannot remember the posters name but kept mentioning the 2017 had no 'difference makers', but the 2018 class had some 'difference makers'. Seems it would be hard to tell who a difference maker would be in high school.

For the lady vols, we need a power forward to complete the possible future starting 5.

Ok, back to recruiting.

I cannot remember the posters name but kept mentioning the 2017 had no 'difference makers', but the 2018 class had some 'difference makers'. Seems it would be hard to tell who a difference maker would be in high school.

For the lady vols, we need a power forward to complete the possible future starting 5.

Agreed. I'd love to see us get an athletic face-up 4 (a la Danielle Patterson) along with some elite shooters/guards.

Amira Collins, a 6'3" post player on the Lady Vol radar and ranked 8 by Prospects Nation and 27 by Hoopgurlz is supposed to announce her school chose at 5:30 ET today.

Jim

Reactions: 1 person
Ok, back to recruiting.

Rennia Davis was the best player in the class of 2017!

She is uber talented and hate to lose. But that goes for Westbrook and Hayes, Kasi is a big ole Teddy Bear.

We need more guards and wings.

Reactions: 2 people
Maria Cornellis has a free article on Scout.com about Rennia Davis. I don't know how to post URL It's a great article if someone wants to post it.

Warlick and her staff, Jolette Law – the lead recruiter for Rennia – Sharrona Reaves and Dean Lockwood follow Pat Summitt’s rules of recruiting: Tell teenagers why they should come to Tennessee. Don’t mention the other schools and especially don’t disparage another program.

“That’s the way it should be,” Sheretta Davis said. “Tennessee didn’t talk about other schools. The other schools knew Tennessee was their competition. They weren’t worried about anybody but Tennessee."

Rennia Davis joins Evina Westbrook, a 6-0 guard from Salem, Oregon; Anastasia Hayes, 5-7 guard from Murfreesboro, Tennessee; and Kasiyahna Kushkituah, a 6-4 post from Alpharetta, Georgia. Their common thread is earning their place in Lady Vol lore.

“These four girls, they know their place, they are ready to win, they’re young, and they’re hungry,” Sheretta Davis said. “They are winners, and they want to win. They need to get ready for these girls coming in.”

Lady Vol fans are craving Final Four appearances and trimmed nets. ThatÂ’s a lot of pressure on an incoming freshmen class.

“I love it. I love the pressure,” Rennia said. “And I wouldn’t really call it pressure. I call it expectation. Because this is the No. 1 recruiting class in the country. We have to do something. I’ve watched all of Tennessee’s games, and I’ve been keeping up. We are needed there apparently. If we can’t come in and get the job done, then it’s a major problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
survey of the influence of fans on social media effecting top high school males in picking their universities. Do you believe our board is effecting LV recruiting?

Prospects arriving at the Under Armour All-America Game were surveyed if fans on social media have influenced their recruiting process, and 74 of 90 respondents said no. That number is surely refreshing to college coaches, but is still somewhat concerning that 17 percent of the respondents said they have been influenced by social interaction with fans.

Reactions: 3 people
The bigger impediment to 2018 recruiting is that it is hard to get back to back super classes of recruits. A lot of young players will see the 2017 class and ask "Where would I fit in?"

I agree that another class like the one just landed will be tougher to get but I believe they will do well in 2018. It's the 2019 class that will be the toughest especially if they land two or more 5* in 2018. The good news is that 2 or 3 elite players in 2019 will probably be good enough especially if they recruit selectively and to need.

bigtime classes never hurt UConn's crootin, :(

and not Baylor's either.

they get the best money and (handbag franchises) can buy

Updated 1-17-17 to add two Hayes sisters and to reflect verbal and some changes in rankings.

Also added Treasure Hunt and Kamilla Cardosa from Hamilton Heights on the theory that getting Jazmine Massengill may at least get us some consideration and, if the staff is not looking at them, they should be! Hunt has gained reviews from several services and Cardosa is already considered by several to be the number 1 player in the class.

Jim

Last edited:
Updated 1-17-17 to add two Hayes sisters and to reflect verbal and some changes in rankings.

Also added Treasure Hunt and Kamilla Cardosa from Hamilton Heights on the theory that getting Jazmine Massengill may at least get us some consideration and, if the staff is not looking at them, they should be! Hunt has gained reviews from several services and Cardosa is already considered by several to be the number 1 player in the class.

Jim

I watched these girls play three games this weekend. We have a verbal from Jasmine and she obviously has a repor with Elizabeth. Hopefully she will come also....and she is the better athlete ( PS. Little sister on team) these ladies will be a good get👍

HOWEVER...... Treasure Hunt is a Freshman and already equal to Jasmine and Elizabeth (RIGHT NOW) !!!! Beautiful shot and with mom coaching she will be ready and able to go anywhere she wants!

And Cordova maybe as good as MR now??? But a freshman from Brazil ?? She is not a skinny tall girl! She needs to add weight and strength but not what you would expect if someone told you to go watch a 15 year old 6'6" girls play basketball! ( Mercedes got the ball taken from her again against ND because she is still bringing the ball down where the little people are!!!). This kid doesn't do this as a Freshman in high school??? Basketball Skills 101

Rokia Doumbia (Mali) remember her name!!! 5'8" sophomore... you will hear more about her but playing on a team of stars!!!😉

VN Store

Back