Lack of portal movement is concerning

Call me optimistic but I believe the roster Heupel will be coaching this upcoming season is going to be the deepest he has had to this point. Don't get me wrong, there are questions to be answered at certain position groups such as DBs & WRs so we will see what transpires. It appears the majority of the portal movement has already happened for the Vols.
Ok Mr. Optimistic, I have to politely disagree w your assessment on a deep secondary. Do we really know who the starters are going to be back there? How many have played for CJH or on Shields Watkins? I am all for depth at every position but we have gaps and holes and lots of questions.

1715358642095.png

I think we're in pretty good shape. I would think most guys in the portal are looking for starting positions. I don't know if we have any current starters that could be replaced by portal guys.
The AD and Coach Hep seem to be OK where we are and are not in a panic to do much more in the portal. The only thing holding us back this Fall will be lack of experienced depth at a couple of positions. We will be better than many think.

The AD and Coach Hep seem to be OK where we are and are not in a panic to do much more in the portal. The only thing holding us back this Fall will be lack of experienced depth at a couple of positions. We will be better than many think.
Exactly. Although we have youth in areas like DB and backup RB, people seem to forget, our first 3 games are UTC, NC St., and Kent State. Let that sink in. After those, all our youth in the 2-deep should be blooded to some degree.

We may or may not pull out a W at Oklahoma, but either way, there will be more lessons learned in that 4th game, our first SEC one.

Then we get an open date, a chance for more RB healing, teaching, and line-up tweaking.

All this happens before we ever face a Florida or Bama in Neyland. So, y'all chillax, maybe?

I gotta say that my BVS and ADHD are letting their superpowers unite to really freak me out about the lack of movement in the portal relative to Tennessee. I'm getting bombarded in my news feed with players transferring to this school and that school. I'm seeing a lot of schools cash in big time on the portal. Teams like Texas and Oklahoma are murdering it. Meanwhile, back in Knoxville, it's mostly crickets chirping. One could say that that means we're right where we want to be. Or we're just failing. We've got a good coaching staff here with a good system. But one of the knocks on them has been hit or miss recruiting. I can't tell right now if the coaches are just fat and sassy and loving who they have or if they're not able to connect well with these portal players. Pair that with the lack of movement in high school recruiting, and I'm ready to grab a bottle of liquor.
What’s in the checking account?

Reactions: HuntlandVolinColo
Ok Mr. Optimistic, I have to politely disagree w your assessment on a deep secondary. Do we really know who the starters are going to be back there? How many have played for CJH or on Shields Watkins? I am all for depth at every position but we have gaps and holes and lots of questions.

I believe UT lost 15 players to the portal {The second lowest number in the SEC}. Bama lost 39 🤣 🤣 🤣
39? Wow. Almost half the roster? looking at that stat, looks like it shows that 'Bama does attract the top talent which expects to play, and when they don't, they now can leave. Saban could read those tea leaves like a prophecy.

Not to me. Can't just have movement for the sake of movement or to satisfy a fan's irrational mental state. You can speculate all you want, and worry yourself to death about it, but inactivity in the transfer portal is not indicative of anything.

"Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar."
I believe it is a signal that our coaches are really pleased with our roster and will not take a portal player unless he can improve the team.

More rational fans grow weary of the raft of CONCERN posts based on QUESTIONS rather than ANSWERS demonstrated on the field. Repackaging future concerns on current squad capabilities based on historical performance by gone or less experienced current guys gets old and wreaks of agenda based intent. Search the username and count the occurrences of redundant initiated negative thought or direct responses to them.

More rational fans grow weary of the raft of CONCERN posts based on QUESTIONS rather than ANSWERS demonstrated on the field. Repackaging future concerns on current squad capabilities based on historical performance by gone or less experienced current guys gets old and wreaks of agenda based intent. Search the username and count the occurrences of redundant initiated negative thought or direct responses to them.
What??**&&^%$$#@$%&)__)*_)_)(***&&%$&^((+)_

Reactions: #1HomeGrownUTVOL
CJH knows firsthand as a player about taking a program from not very good (poor) to a NC. He's the guy to do it. Vols are in really good shape, IMO.

As a Sooner born and Sooner bred OU grad, I have to take my Sooners over the Vols, but that's the only time I am rooting against the Vols. My hope is that OU and Tennessee dominate the SEC and NCAA for the next two decades.
Got a niece from Tulsa, she will be a Sr at OU in the fall. Rooting for OU a long time against ut moo moo. Love it in east Oklahoma.

On my phone and could not get blue font. Just an offset to wordy illogical posts by more prolific negatrons who challenge HOPEFUL fans offerings.
Hmmmm. It is my quest to question our secondary this Fall - you know, being that we don't really know who they are, if they have ever played NCAAF football and or if they have ever visited Neyland stadium. Yes, call me a Negatron you, you name caller you. Hide behind your cloak of self absorption and self deceit and cast doubts upon the untrodden corpuscles of life. Do all this to make yourself feel more worthy - for thine is the kingdom, the Power T, the glory and the life everlasting.

Last edited:
Reactions: #1HomeGrownUTVOL
We also have Khalifa Keith and DeSean Bishop who should be able to fill in nicely until Cam Seldon is back fully healthy.

Hmm...I do not want to play a game with those as our primary two RBs. If Seldon and Lewis can both get healthy this summer and fully cleared for fall camp then we are in good shape. We run a LOT...top 3 RBs last year combined for around 340 carries.

Hmm...I do not want to play a game with those as our primary two RBs. If Seldon and Lewis can both get healthy this summer and fully cleared for fall camp then we are in good shape. We run a LOT...top 3 RBs last year combined for around 340 carries.
I did mention fill in until the other two were ready, did I not. Not ready for prime time all the time. But if they are not viable, why have the coaches not asked them to be portal fodder?

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
How many open spots does UT have open to fill? Who have they missed? Who should the be pursuing?
A SEC level starting DB. Not sure who's out there available but I'm kinda worried about our defensive back field

I gotta say that my BVS and ADHD are letting their superpowers unite to really freak me out about the lack of movement in the portal relative to Tennessee. I'm getting bombarded in my news feed with players transferring to this school and that school. I'm seeing a lot of schools cash in big time on the portal. Teams like Texas and Oklahoma are murdering it. Meanwhile, back in Knoxville, it's mostly crickets chirping. One could say that that means we're right where we want to be. Or we're just failing. We've got a good coaching staff here with a good system. But one of the knocks on them has been hit or miss recruiting. I can't tell right now if the coaches are just fat and sassy and loving who they have or if they're not able to connect well with these portal players. Pair that with the lack of movement in high school recruiting, and I'm ready to grab a bottle of liquor.

Attachments

• IMG_0103.gif
    IMG_0103.gif
    2.9 MB · Views: 5
Reactions: VAVol85

VN Store

Back