Lack of portal movement is concerning

I assume we signed some papers stating as much once the punishment was accepted. Could be wrong
We had also self imposed some restrictions already that will be counted. I can’t remember at this point though what the exact ruling was but I remember someone said we wanted to be at 83 by fall. Number may not be set in stone though.

I gotta say that my BVS and ADHD are letting their superpowers unite to really freak me out about the lack of movement in the portal relative to Tennessee. I'm getting bombarded in my news feed with players transferring to this school and that school. I'm seeing a lot of schools cash in big time on the portal. Teams like Texas and Oklahoma are murdering it. Meanwhile, back in Knoxville, it's mostly crickets chirping. One could say that that means we're right where we want to be. Or we're just failing. We've got a good coaching staff here with a good system. But one of the knocks on them has been hit or miss recruiting. I can't tell right now if the coaches are just fat and sassy and loving who they have or if they're not able to connect well with these portal players. Pair that with the lack of movement in high school recruiting, and I'm ready to grab a bottle of liquor.
What are you talking about What or who do we need from the portal.

I wanted the RB from Oregon St. I don't think that would've bothered Sampson.

You need 2 in this league. Do we really expect Seldon to be ready as RB 2 ?

Reactions: Teeman
CJH knows firsthand as a player about taking a program from not very good (poor) to a NC. He's the guy to do it. Vols are in really good shape, IMO.

As a Sooner born and Sooner bred OU grad, I have to take my Sooners over the Vols, but that's the only time I am rooting against the Vols. My hope is that OU and Tennessee dominate the SEC and NCAA for the next two decades.

I like that we aren’t bringing anyone in. For one it means we’ve had little movement on our roster. For another it means we may be able to use an extra scholarship or two for Nico’s senior season

I gotta say that my BVS and ADHD are letting their superpowers unite to really freak me out about the lack of movement in the portal relative to Tennessee. I'm getting bombarded in my news feed with players transferring to this school and that school. I'm seeing a lot of schools cash in big time on the portal. Teams like Texas and Oklahoma are murdering it. Meanwhile, back in Knoxville, it's mostly crickets chirping. One could say that that means we're right where we want to be. Or we're just failing. We've got a good coaching staff here with a good system. But one of the knocks on them has been hit or miss recruiting. I can't tell right now if the coaches are just fat and sassy and loving who they have or if they're not able to connect well with these portal players. Pair that with the lack of movement in high school recruiting, and I'm ready to grab a bottle of liquor.
Paradigm is shifting, every player wants $$$$.

Lack of movement is always concerning…and really quite uncomfortable.

Reactions: D-Vols
It’s actually the opposite. Heupel likes his team. That’s what this means.

I would prefer another RB with some experience. But otherwise think we are good where we are.

And DBs. Can never have enough DBs, imo.

RB is a big concern to me also. No proven backs beyond Sampson.
O-line depth is concerning also, but I don’t know that we have any spots available.

Just think about it. If kids are leaving in the spring, its' probably not for good reason. Not a good culture addition, in my opinion. I think its a better strategy to dip in the portal early on in December and show recruits once they are secured a spot, that's it. Either you are on board and part of the plan or not. If we add you, we believe in you. End of story.

Think someone suggested we’d like to be at 83 but idk. LWS could probably hazard a pretty good guess. We have to take the scholarship hit at some point if you believe the ncaa will be around to enforce those sanctions even.

83 or 82 for the fall. Have to be at least two below every season through 2027. At least one year at 82 to get the total penalty.

about that bottle of liquor.....it should be used to celebrate that we don't have a need to raid the portal

Isn’t it sad that our fanbase has known suffering for so long that some people forgot how to enjoy football? Even now, when we have a good coach and good culture, we have people freaking out about nothing.
Though it is pretty sad, it's a sign of the times. Not necessarily a football issue.

about that bottle of liquor.....it should be used to celebrate that we don't have a need to raid the portal
You got that right! In addition, if people are searching for cash, how do we think we have a great D Line that came back for another year? Thomas, Eason, Simmons, Bailey are all returning. These men are leaders of the program and deserve what they got. I like they are taking care of their own, who earned it, rather than getting other people's problems, potentially!

Last edited:
We need more help in the secondary. We flushed the old crew and brought in portal guys. We have no idea if this current secondary is going to gel or if they're going to be the same Achilles heel we've had for the last several years. We need to bring in a couple of more bodies to bolster that group. Of all the player groups on the entire field that is our weakest link.
We could also use another running back. As one of the other people stated earlier, it's the SEC. Injuries happen. Cam Seldon hopefully comes back from his injury at 100%by the fall. Sampson is a beast. He's our workhorse. All it would take is an injury to Samson and for Selden to not come back 100% and we would be in deep doo doo. Demarkus Bowman from UCF is a 5* RB in the portal......

VN Store

Back