Lack of portal movement is concerning

xpsyclonex2002

I gotta say that my BVS and ADHD are letting their superpowers unite to really freak me out about the lack of movement in the portal relative to Tennessee. I'm getting bombarded in my news feed with players transferring to this school and that school. I'm seeing a lot of schools cash in big time on the portal. Teams like Texas and Oklahoma are murdering it. Meanwhile, back in Knoxville, it's mostly crickets chirping. One could say that that means we're right where we want to be. Or we're just failing. We've got a good coaching staff here with a good system. But one of the knocks on them has been hit or miss recruiting. I can't tell right now if the coaches are just fat and sassy and loving who they have or if they're not able to connect well with these portal players. Pair that with the lack of movement in high school recruiting, and I'm ready to grab a bottle of liquor.

I gotta say that my BVS and ADHD are letting their superpowers unite to really freak me out about the lack of movement in the portal relative to Tennessee. I'm getting bombarded in my news feed with players transferring to this school and that school. I'm seeing a lot of schools cash in big time on the portal. Teams like Texas and Oklahoma are murdering it. Meanwhile, back in Knoxville, it's mostly crickets chirping. One could say that that means we're right where we want to be. Or we're just failing. We've got a good coaching staff here with a good system. But one of the knocks on them has been hit or miss recruiting. I can't tell right now if the coaches are just fat and sassy and loving who they have or if they're not able to connect well with these portal players. Pair that with the lack of movement in high school recruiting, and I'm ready to grab a bottle of liquor.

Attachments

• Deer in headlights.JPG
    Deer in headlights.JPG
    122.8 KB · Views: 31
How many open spots does UT have open to fill? Who have they missed? Who should the be pursuing?

I think we're in pretty good shape. I would think most guys in the portal are looking for starting positions. I don't know if we have any current starters that could be replaced by portal guys.

Anyone you want now is probably more of a need. This gives all the advantage to the player. The players know this, their handlers know this, their parents etc… You’re going to be paying way over market for a guy you could’ve gotten a lot cheaper back in the winter portal.

Maybe Coach Josh Heupel is Happy with the players he has/has coming in before Fall camp...

giphy.gif

We addressed our portal needs in the previous window that opened after the season.

How many open spots does UT have open to fill? Who have they missed? Who should the be pursuing?
THAT is the right question. I asked it in the recruiting forum. I was told that we are full, no scholarships to give. That makes me happy.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Call me optimistic but I believe the roster Heupel will be coaching this upcoming season is going to be the deepest he has had to this point. Don't get me wrong, there are questions to be answered at certain position groups such as DBs & WRs so we will see what transpires. It appears the majority of the portal movement has already happened for the Vols.

Reactions: GUNTERSVOL
Call me optimistic but I believe the roster Heupel will be coaching this upcoming season is going to be the deepest he has had to this point. Don't get me wrong, there are questions to be answered at certain position groups such as DBs & WRs so we will see what transpires. It appears the majority of the portal movement has already happened for the Vols.
I think they should find another running back. SEC is pretty tough every week. Another backup would not hurt.

The majority of the guys entering the spring portal do so because after spring practice they realize they aren't going to start. Why go to UT to sit on the bench? You think a player who can't start at Miss St or USC is going to come in and beat out one of UT's starters?

I would prefer another RB with some experience. But otherwise think we are good where we are.

And DBs. Can never have enough DBs, imo.

So tell us which ones you really wanted that they didn’t get this time around?

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
We're good. Think about how worried you'd be if Tennessee was in the same portal shape as Clemson. Except for the three military academies, Clemson son is the only D1 school with zero portal transfers in. .

Dabo tried to get 3 different O Linemen.
Whiffed on all 3, largely because he has a reputation for not liking the portal.

We are OK. The sky is not falling.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
We're good. Think about how worried you'd be if Tennessee was in the same portal shape as Clemson. Except for the three military academies, Clemson son is the only D1 school with zero portal transfers in. .

Dabo tried to get 3 different O Linemen.
Whiffed on all 3, largely because he has a reputation for not liking the portal.

We are OK. The sky is not falling.
I am thinking UGA is going to massacre them the first game and that'll probably be the beginning of the end for ole' Dabo. It's change or die, and he seems to have chosen to die.

VN Store

Back