Kwe Parker question

Parker needed a red shirt year. If he is willing, a red shirt next year would help. Red shirting next year would be much better than transferring.

Parker needed a red shirt year. If he is willing, a red shirt next year would help. Red shirting next year would be much better than transferring.

Would Barnes be willing though? If Mostella would have been dismissed at the start of the year I wonder if Johnson would have been playing instead of redshirting. If Kent is redshirted I doubt that Barnes would want to RS two of his 13.

Would Barnes be willing though? If Mostella would have been dismissed at the start of the year I wonder if Johnson would have been playing instead of redshirting. If Kent is redshirted I doubt that Barnes would want to RS two of his 13.

We are currently redshirting 2 guys, have 1 who rarely plays and 1 dismissed...so we are rolling with 9 guys on most nights.

Even with 2 guys redshirting next season that leaves you 11 which I think is plenty of most stay healthy and you don't suffer and major season ending injuries.

Reactions: 1 person
To answer your question, I think KP is a phenomenal athlete, but a mediocre basketball player at this point. He has potential, but unfortunately for him, he's blocked by two better players in Bone and Turner and will be seemingly forever unless he dramatically improves his skill level. ...

I expected him to be the furthest behind this season in regards to all the freshmen because he was able to get by in HS on his athleticism alone. In my mind, he was always going to need some seasoning. I'm just not sure an opportunity exists for his role to grow at Tennessee with Bone and Turner being in the same class.

How does this assessment compare with what Yves Pons (hypothetically) would face as a Vol?

How does this assessment compare with what Yves Pons (hypothetically) would face as a Vol?

I think the difference is that Pons is 6" taller, more physically developed, and fills a bigger need for this team. After Hubbs leaves, Jalen Johnson (who is unproven at this point) and Schofield are the only guys I see as true SFs. I also think Pons may have a higher ceiling and is maybe a little more versatile because of his size.

To that point, he's not a guy I'd expect to come in and light the world on fire as a FR. Like Parker, he'll take some time to develop. Unlike Parker though, he won't have two fellow FR who are more developed at the same position he plays. That is the biggest stumbling block for Parker IMO. He'll have to either redshirt or lap one of Bone or Turner from a skills standpoint during an offseason. I just don't see the latter as being very likely.

I think Kwe will be fine if he sticks it out. I think you will see the lineup shuffle a bit next year with Hubbs graduating, making it necessary for Turner to get more minutes at the 2. He has the tools just need to put in the work and take what Barnes is telling him to heart. Probably the first time in his life that he has been through this scenerio. Every kid reacts differently.

Kwe played a few minutes against MSU at home and looked great. Really hasn't seen floor since.
I really like this kid at point, and considering Turner and Bone have both shot poorly and haven't exactly grabbed the job, I thought he'd get more of a look.

he does not have the basketball skills to be a guard. He can't shoot or handle the basketball and that makes it hard to find a place in the backcourt.

I'd like Kwe to get 7-8 minutes and see us use a half court trap. With his athletic ability it would be hard to throw over the top and we could make good use of it.

Kwe played a few minutes against MSU at home and looked great. Really hasn't seen floor since.
I really like this kid at point, and considering Turner and Bone have both shot poorly and haven't exactly grabbed the job, I thought he'd get more of a look.

I feel like Bone has mostly grabbed the job- he's shot ok, not had many turnovers, and is running the break well. Maybe I'm wrong.

he does not have the basketball skills to be a guard. He can't shoot or handle the basketball and that makes it hard to find a place in the backcourt.

He handles the ball fine. His shot, like many others on the team needs some work. As I said above, he can help the team and will be fine as long as he puts in the works and is patient.

We are currently redshirting 2 guys, have 1 who rarely plays and 1 dismissed...so we are rolling with 9 guys on most nights.

Even with 2 guys redshirting next season that leaves you 11 which I think is plenty of most stay healthy and you don't suffer and major season ending injuries.

One by choice. Fulkerson hasn't redshirted yet.

To answer your question, I think KP is a phenomenal athlete, but a mediocre basketball player at this point. He has potential, but unfortunately for him, he's blocked by two better players in Bone and Turner and will be seemingly forever unless he dramatically improves his skill level. It may be in his best interest to transfer to a program that will allow him more playing time and some time to learn on the job so to speak.

I expected him to be the furthest behind this season in regards to all the freshmen because he was able to get by in HS on his athleticism alone. In my mind, he was always going to need some seasoning. I'm just not sure an opportunity exists for his role to grow at Tennessee with Bone and Turner being in the same class.
I like Bone alot although he has his freshman moments. I think he is much better than RF Turner and that is where I think Parker could improve enough to take minutes away from Turner next year.

What baffles me is that Kwe has had a couple of opportunities to show off his athletic ability and throw down a monster dunk, and twice he missed a layup.

What baffles me is that Kwe has had a couple of opportunities to show off his athletic ability and throw down a monster dunk, and twice he missed a layup.

When he can play the game without having to overthink it, he'll be fine. He has alot of upside because of his athleticism.

I like Bone alot although he has his freshman moments. I think he is much better than RF Turner and that is where I think Parker could improve enough to take minutes away from Turner next year.

I think it's possible, but not probable. Turner is a better shooter and passer at this point. Parker's best shot at playing time (outside of just getting better than Turner or Bone) rests in Turner taking more minutes at SG next year.

Something like...
1. Bone/Parker
2. Bowden/Turner/Phillips
3. Schofield/Johnson/(Pons?)
4. Williams/Walker
5. Alexander/Fulkerson/Kent

I think it's possible, but not probable. Turner is a better shooter and passer at this point. Parker's best shot at playing time (outside of just getting better than Turner or Bone) rests in Turner taking more minutes at SG next year.

Something like...
1. Bone/Parker
2. Bowden/Turner/Phillips
3. Schofield/Johnson/(Pons?)
4. Williams/Walker
5. Alexander/Fulkerson/Kent

I'd agree with that. I just don't like Turner at point. He is a suspect ball-handler and I hate his passing choices most of the time. He seems to force the action when he doesn't need to. What is great about him is that he is a microwave in that he can score in bunches, but he also needs shots to get his rhythm. If Kwe sticks with it, he'll have his opportunities.

I don't remember 100% if it was Kwe, but one of the PGs was making one handed passes. It looks cool when it results in an assist, but it's not fundamentally sound. If a defender jumps in front of the receiver, the passer can't change their mind and pull it back. I'm pretty sure it was Kwe, but if it wasn't him it was Bone shortly after returning from his bone injury.

I don't remember 100% if it was Kwe, but one of the PGs was making one handed passes. It looks cool when it results in an assist, but it's not fundamentally sound. If a defender jumps in front of the receiver, the passer can't change their mind and pull it back. I'm pretty sure it was Kwe, but if it wasn't him it was Bone shortly after returning from his bone injury.

Bone headed play imo

VN Store

Back