Kongbo to LB?

[twitter]1002643043588112386[/twitter]

What are yalls thoughts? Is he gonna be a stand-up passer rusher LB? I thought Darrell Taylor was perfect for that position. Inside linebacker? Not sure if he has the instincts or speed for that. Let the debate begin.

What I know about playing DE\LB came from Madden.

Hopefully at this rate we can field a team better than candy.

I kind of thought the OLB spots would be:
Taylor/Smith
Allen/Johnson

Maybe this means Johnson will be switching back to DE. He played at 6’4 258lbs last season, which is the same size as Kyle Phillips. Having Kongbo, Taylor, Allen and Austin Smith at OLB would be totally fine with me. Iirc, Johnson had 15 sacks at DE his senior season in HS so him moving back to DE would make sense. I’m still holding out hope that Bumphus moves to DE. At 6’3 260, and the agility to play TE, sounds like DE should be his position.

Taylor/Smith
Allen/Johnson

Maybe this means Johnson will be switching back to DE. He played at 6’4 258lbs last season, which is the same size as Kyle Phillips. Having Kongbo, Taylor, Allen and Austin Smith at OLB would be totally fine with me. Iirc, Johnson had 15 sacks at DE his senior season in HS so him moving back to DE would make sense. I’m still holding out hope that Bumphus moves to DE. At 6’3 260, and the agility to play TE, sounds like DE should be his position.

Johnson is staying right there.
Where he belongs. He's a starter, but the coaches see the talent in Kongbo.

And Phillips is about 280 now.

The DEs in our base are not needed for pass rushing. THAT is h
The OLB job.

Ideally we want three 300 pounders on our DL

Kongbo is 6'6" 270

He doesn't need to lose weight.
He's just as fast as he was when he arrived on campus. 255 lbs running a 4.6 and change. Look at him run in practice videos

The move to LB is bases off increasing the size of the defense.

You had
Kongbo at 270 DE
D Johnso. 255 OLB
Now it's
A Johnson/Tuttle 300 DE
Kongbo at OLB 270

And evidently the coaches believe he can play LB

So with this move we have added 45 lbs of muscle on our Front.
That can go a long way in stopping the run.
Remember "bigger, more physical" team- Pruitt

Freakin yuge.

Reactions: 1 person
And look at those numbers for each of them. Combine their numbers and you might a season where a guy gets conference recognition.

We get on Kongbo HARD...buy why not Taylor? Or Phillips. All 3 have underacheived comparative to their level of talent imo.

But I've seen all 3 give effort and make plays from time to time.

Put it ALL at Jones feet.

I think Kongbo and others finally show what they have this year. Because of the culture change mostly

Imho, and it’s just my opinion, Kongbo gets more scrutiny because he was the #1 JUCO player in the country, came in with ridiculous hype and, quite honestly, just hasn’t done much of anything.

Phillips came in as a 5 star too, but was very quickly injured multiple times. I think he has gotten criticism as well, though I agree it hasn’t been to near the levels that Kongbo has gotten. I think part of it is because he’s missed so much time due to injury and because he’s so well liked as a young man....he’s always put a good face on, has always done what was asked of him with great effort, never threatened to leave program when moved inside to tackle like Kongbo did.

As for Taylor, he came here as a 225lb physical freak without a position. Again, expectations imo. He certainly didn’t live up to the ones we all hoped he would last year, but at least he did make a game-saving play vs GaTech and put up better numbers than Kongbo, the guy who some wondered if he’d play more than one year in Knoxville before heading off to the Nfl.

Quite honestly, as we all know, they all gotta play much better. I’m hoping you’re right about the improved culture and coaching making all the difference.

Johnson is staying right there.
Where he belongs. He's a starter, but the coaches see the talent in Kongbo.

And Phillips is about 280 now.

The DEs in our base are not needed for pass rushing. THAT is h
The OLB job.

Ideally we want three 300 pounders on our DL

So you think it’s be Phillips/Butler/Tuttle/Emerson at DE, and Gooden and A Johnson at NT? Just wondering your thoughts

So you think it’s be Phillips/Butler/Tuttle/Emerson at DE, and Gooden and A Johnson at NT? Just wondering your thoughts

I think it has to be Shy Tuttle/Kivon Bennett/and A Johnson at NT in a 3-4 D. Only Tuttle has much experience no matter who they bring in to help.

I think it has to be Shy Tuttle/Kivon Bennett/and A Johnson at NT in a 3-4 D. Only Tuttle has much experience no matter who they bring in to help.

Kind of thought Bennett might be a little small unless he gains some serious weight/muscle.

Last good nose type player we had was Dan Williams.

Maybe Gooden can be that. Or even better after a while? For the 3-4 It's really Tuttle and Gooden.
Paul Bain will contribute at NT too.

DEs?? A variety of guys!. Tuttle is best there. A Johnson. Phillips. Emerson will play early.
Butler is sure to be in 2 deep.

On 3rd and long Taylor and Johnson at 250+ can be the 3-4 ends. Will Phillips or Kongbo at NT

We really really Need everybody to sell out in the weight room!

Defense line is...a bit of a jigsaw

Imho, and it’s just my opinion, Kongbo gets more scrutiny because he was the #1 JUCO player in the country, came in with ridiculous hype and, quite honestly, just hasn’t done much of anything.

Phillips came in as a 5 star too, but was very quickly injured multiple times. I think he has gotten criticism as well, though I agree it hasn’t been to near the levels that Kongbo has gotten. I think part of it is because he’s missed so much time due to injury and because he’s so well liked as a young man....he’s always put a good face on, has always done what was asked of him with great effort, never threatened to leave program when moved inside to tackle like Kongbo did.

As for Taylor, he came here as a 225lb physical freak without a position. Again, expectations imo. He certainly didn’t live up to the ones we all hoped he would last year, but at least he did make a game-saving play vs GaTech and put up better numbers than Kongbo, the guy who some wondered if he’d play more than one year in Knoxville before heading off to the Nfl.

Quite honestly, as we all know, they all gotta play much better. I’m hoping you’re right about the improved culture and coaching making all the difference.

Yeah me too.

These guys arent youngsters...they need to use their physical maturity to their advantage.

Definitely agree about Phillips. I think all 3 have the ability to keep playing football for 10 more years.

Reactions: 2 people

Gooden is a perfect fit for the 3-4 NT position. He’s my fav player in this class. Alexis Johnson and perhaps Emerson run the DE spots.

I know people are laughing at your comment, but that's the first thing I thought too, albeit as a poor man's Leonard Little -- Uncle Jed shooting at some food before the crude bubbled up poor man.

Or a 4 and 8 Tennessee's Leonard little.

Looking at Football Time in Tennessee magazine, we have Johnson, Butler, Bennett, Emerson, and Crosby over 275ish and Kongbo down there at 260 closer to the OLBs. Makes sense from a weight standpoint. In a 3-4, those 250-260 OLBs have to run farther to rush the QB and contain. My issues with Kongbo have been 1). Where is he going as in the big play in the Florida game and others where he is run or blocked out of the play, 2) he just doesn’t seem to have the toughness and or strength to overcome and make the play. I hope I am pleasantly surprised by results of better coaching and he is a beast of a playmaker and tackler this year.

Reactions: 3 people
Last good nose type player we had was Dan Williams.

Maybe Gooden can be that. Or even better after a while? For the 3-4 It's really Tuttle and Gooden.
Paul Bain will contribute at NT too.

DEs?? A variety of guys!. Tuttle is best there. A Johnson. Phillips. Emerson will play early.
Butler is sure to be in 2 deep.

On 3rd and long Taylor and Johnson at 250+ can be the 3-4 ends. Will Phillips or Kongbo at NT

We really really Need everybody to sell out in the weight room!

Defense line is...a bit of a jigsaw

I hope Bain breaks out and has an awesome year!

Taylor/Smith
Allen/Johnson

Kyle Phillips is an undersized DE in this system

Kyle Phillips is an undersized DE in this system

Kyle Phillips has put on more mass than has been conveyed to the public. He is also just what we need in this defense as an edge rusher.

Very quick, long wingspan, smart. In the Orange and White game he would of had more than 2 sacks if contact would of been allowed. He would have to give up on plays so that he wouldn't smack into the QB.

Kyle Phillips has put on more mass than has been conveyed to the public. He is also just what we need in this defense as an edge rusher.

Very quick, long wingspan, smart. In the Orange and White game he would of had more than 2 sacks if contact would of been allowed. He would have to give up on plays so that he wouldn't smack into the QB.

Maybe so. But in a base 3-4 he isnt an edge rusher

VN Store

Back