Kongbo to LB?

I agree, dont see him being an olb. Hes massive. How many 270 olbs are there. Maybe an inside lb. Unless they see him at practice with way more agility and front end speed coming from a standing position. I'm sorry but he looks so slow when he plays. I can jump onto the ilb idea but olb I cannot. Simply bc he shows no agility.

I feel the Patriots staff is the only staff that would know how to make him good.

OLBs in 3-4 are COMPLETLY different than OLB in any other scheme.
Julius Peppers and JeDaveon Clowney have played OLB in the NFL

Clowney is 6'6" 275
Peppers is 6'7" 285

No Kongbo can not play MLB in the 3-4...

To understand why, look at our ILB on our roster now

Hang on there, let's be fair. I haven't seen anybody else ever get flagged twice in a row for throwing a chokehold-hold on an opposing player.

If he is coached and channels that rage properly, dude can beast. Assuming he's coachable.

Coachable is an interesting word. To be coachable implies two parties. The player and the coach. What if the coach can’t coach correctly? A player could be in the wrong position and doing the wrong things and still be classified as “coachable”.

Hoping that was what happened with him last year. I truly think we have better coaches now.

Kongbo has been working his ass off this off-season. The guy has something to prove. That’s an unteachable thing.

Reactions: 2 people
Nobody played great on defense last year. Figuring out where to put the Xs and Os is why these guys get the big bucks.

I locked in watching him vs UK at Neyland. He was working his tail off and 100% locked in with defensive coaches during that game. I noted that and was impressed with his teamwork actually.

It was the same game that idiot Mike Griffith wrote that hit piece on him for having conflicts with coaches on the sideline. 100% verifiable tripe from that guy. Now, the rest of the time, I have no idea. But, he's always seemed to be submitted well. Just my observation.

Perhaps your right, this may be his year to shine.

So Stribling and Hoke were bad coaches also? Got it.

Right. Let’s not act like Shoop didn’t have top defenses at Penn state ( 2 and 14 in the nation) and that Brady hoke isn’t one of the best dline coaches in football.. maybe Kongbo just can’t figure it out.. He’s a one trick pony. Him being 6’6 250+ doesn’t make him a good football player..we would all love to see a player that size produce.. it just hasn’t happened for kongbo. I wouldn’t blame coaching

OLBs in 3-4 are COMPLETLY different than OLB in any other scheme.
Julius Peppers and JeDaveon Clowney have played OLB in the NFL

Clowney is 6'6" 275
Peppers is 6'7" 285

No Kongbo can not play MLB in the 3-4...

To understand why, look at our ILB on our roster now

My point was he is too slow to rush a qb. He hasn't seemed aggressive enough or fast enough to set an edge. I was saying that bc I dont see him being an edge guy. I also said it would take a staff like the Patriots to actually make him productive. I think he is being moved around bc he hasn't been good at anything yet.

Reactions: 1 person
Right. Let’s not act like Shoop didn’t have top defenses at Penn state ( 2 and 14 in the nation) and that Brady hoke isn’t one of the best dline coaches in football.. maybe Kongbo just can’t figure it out.. He’s a one trick pony. Him being 6’6 250+ doesn’t make him a good football player..we would all love to see a player that size produce.. it just hasn’t happened for kongbo. I wouldn’t blame coaching

I believe we will finally be able to determine based on Kongbo's play this season whether his issues in previous seasons were coaching or pilot error. Coaches come in all sorts of varieties. Some coaches require kids fit their template and some kids respond well to that where others flounder. As long as some kids do well under that type,coach points at them, and says "hey look at how great I'm doing." But to my mind the best coaches are the ones who can tailor and get the best out of every player they have, not just their super stars. If Kongbo has indeed "been working his tail off" then it's unlikely we have a pilot that can't get the plane into the air, it seems like we have youngster that once he is up in the air and he doesn't know how to guide the aircraft to where he wants it to go, that's coaching, time will tell.

I believe we will finally be able to determine based on Kongbo's play this season whether his issues in previous seasons were coaching or pilot error. Coaches come in all sorts of varieties. Some coaches require kids fit their template and some kids respond well to that where others flounder. As long as some kids do well under that type,coach points at them, and says "hey look at how great I'm doing." But to my mind the best coaches are the ones who can tailor and get the best out of every player they have, not just their super stars. If Kongbo has indeed "been working his tail off" then it's unlikely we have a pilot that can't get the plane into the air, it seems like we have youngster that once he is up in the air and he doesn't know how to guide the aircraft to where he wants it to go, that's coaching, time will tell.

Solid analogy. I’ll take it

Kongbo has been working his ass off this off-season. The guy has something to prove. That’s an unteachable thing.

The same thing was hinted at last season. I’ll believe it when I see it with him. My impression is that he’s been coddled too much and doesn’t have the mindset that it takes to be a great player.

I've really started to believe there was something with jones system that was just too complex and unnatural. Every thing I've read has stated that his was more of a read style defense where instead of going to the ball immediately, it's more of a wait and react method. I think in a smaller conference with smaller more agile players this would work better but in the sec you're facing larger competition than others. When a running back with a head start is running toward a slower, larger player standing still, waiting to react, it makes sense that the defensive player is going to be burned every time. And if the defensive player is smaller and more agile, but standing still they are not going to have the force to deflect the runner. I think that explains why you'd see our players waiting and the other team run past them while they tried to turn and grab them.

If you give the opponent a 1/2 second of indecision, then you have given them at least a 10 yard gain.

So Stribling and Hoke were bad coaches also? Got it.

Not necessarily. But he came in as a 4-3 DE, then was told to gain weight and become a DT, then told to lean up and be a 4-3 DE, then be a 3-4 DE, and now a 3-4 JACK LB.

When your head coach keeps moving you from place to place it’s hard to specialize at one thing.

I agree, dont see him being an olb. Hes massive. How many 270 olbs are there. Maybe an inside lb. Unless they see him at practice with way more agility and front end speed coming from a standing position. I'm sorry but he looks so slow when he plays. I can jump onto the ilb idea but olb I cannot. Simply bc he shows no agility.

I feel the Patriots staff is the only staff that would know how to make him good.

3-4 OLBs are typically bigger because they play off the edge. You could call it a "hybrid DE" if you want. But you want them to be more athletic then your normal DEs because of coverages.

My point was he is too slow to rush a qb. He hasn't seemed aggressive enough or fast enough to set an edge. I was saying that bc I dont see him being an edge guy. I also said it would take a staff like the Patriots to actually make him productive. I think he is being moved around bc he hasn't been good at anything yet.

He didn't seem slow but he sure didn't have the quick first step and couldn't get off blocks. No one on the DL could. Kongbo has amazing size, speed, and athleticism and it's what NFL scouts love but he hasn't had any production to get him drafted imo. Maybe it'll click in his head.

Curious but what has he done to make you believe he will be anything resembling great? Guys like Taylor and Phillips have at least shown glimpses of greatness. Kongbo has done absolutely nothing since coming here.

Exactly.

If he had Derek Barnett’s physique, people on here would be saying he belongs in C-USA.

People see a player with muscles and instantly think he’ll be a beast on the field, but it doesn’t work like that. Kongbo, North, McKenzie, Croom... they look like Tarzan and play like Jane. If people would base expectations on how good a player actually is, there would be a lot less disappointment on here.

I believe he has, and judging by a few pics I've seen lately he did. Little if I remember correctly was right around 255 pounds and 6'3.. Kongbo is 6'6 260.

LL had an explosive, fast twitch first step. I've never seen Kongbo have that explosiveness off the snap.

Taylor also had more TFLs than Kongbo (4.5 vs 2.5) and more sacks (3 vs 2.5). Additionally, Taylor had 2 passes defended, a fumble recovery and 2 forced fumbles....Kongbo had none of those.

Plus Taylor made the play in OT vs GT that saved us from going 3-9.

:ermm:

Strictly my opinion but I think Kongo will be a good one to gauge Pruitt and staffs influence by. I think he has huge potential but last staff could never do anything with it. My bold prediction is that Kongbo along with our crew of LB's become household names this year.

I find the move interesting as well. Personally, if he’s playing the same position as D. Taylor, I see no way Kongbo takes the starting job. Taylor is a prototype jack LB in the 3-4. I thought Kongbo would be a solid 3-4 end if he was around 6’4 270, but who knows what he’s at right now? Could’ve skimmed down. Could it mean that the young guys that just got to campus (Mincey, Gooden, Kurott Garland, Lawless, Kingston Harris) fit the bill at DL for what Pruitt is trying to do? I’m interested to see how this shakes out. More competition at DL and LB can’t hurt

The base 3-4 has 2 OLB's so he could play opposite of Taylor. Deandre was figured to be opposite Taylor but probably not now.

Amen, Kongbo needs to play as well as he looks physically, he'd be fun to watch then, don't you think?:loco:

VN Store

Back