Kentucky coaching situation

Why would an NBA guy with any options in that league jump back into the college game with the state of the portal, tampering and NIL? Insane.
I honestly think the environment in college basketball is more conducisive to actual good coaches. Coaches that were able to secure the big freshman recruits used to have a huge advantage in the league. I truly think some coaches were overrated, and their success was more of a matter of a huge recruiting edge.

Now, you don't have to develop or cater as much to these young freshman. You can just pay experienced upperclassman that fit your culture to join your program and compete every year. Recruit the biggest center. Recruit 35% three point shooters. Recruit length. You can almost build a team exactly how you want, especially if you are a blue blood like Kentucky.

I wondered if he might become a candidate as they get told "no" from their fairy tale list.

Before moving to the Big12, his teams got progressively worse each year in the WCC. But they did have a good season moving to the Big 12. this year.

I have a feeling Pope wouldn't exactly be the HR hire Ky fans were expecting.
He's been my betting favorite since Drew told them no. Not a terrible hire in terms of system. It's a big step up for him, though, and of course UK fans won't be happy about it given he was choice #6, or worse.

Reactions: Volfan1000
I honestly think the environment in college basketball is more conducisive to actual good coaches.

I agree 100%

Recruiting used to be a skill. Now it’s probably 80% less effective and replaced with how much money your school can offer.

So coaching ability is now WAY more important.

As big as a program as Kentucky is, they are getting shot down from coaches at inferior programs such as Alabama, Baylor, etc

I hope this is a great example to Vols fans who want sooo badly to fire the best coach we hv ever had here in Tennessee history, Rick Barnes

It's an easy solution to fire a winning coach, its hard to find a legitimate replacement.

If I'm Kentucky, this is who I think you got to pursue right now:

1. Bruce Pearl
2. Mark Few
3. Lamont Paris
4. Will Wade
5. Rick Patino

If you whiff on all those guys, good luck

Might as well beg Calipari to come back
Good post. I still think it’s going to be Pearl.

Reactions: Vols till I fall
I know this is a popular theory (especially from TN fans), but from UK's perspective, they were ready to pay $34 million to run off a guy who had won 14 NCAAT games but only been to one F4 in the last 10 years.

Why would they then want to replace him with a guy who's won 7 NCAAT games and been to only one F4 in the last 10 years?

This. And Pearl is making tons of money already at a place that really doesn't care that much.

It would be a bad move for both because chances are greater in 4-5 years they're looking again.

Reactions: cncchris33
As big as a program as Kentucky is, they are getting shot down from coaches at inferior programs such as Alabama, Baylor, etc

I hope this is a great example to Vols fans who want sooo badly to fire the best coach we hv ever had here in Tennessee history, Rick Barnes

It's an easy solution to fire a winning coach, its hard to find a legitimate replacement.

If I'm Kentucky, this is who I think you got to pursue right now:

1. Bruce Pearl
2. Mark Few
3. Lamont Paris
4. Will Wade
5. Rick Patino

If you whiff on all those guys, good luck

Might as well beg Calipari to come back
I love Bruce Pearl, but he’s gonna get them the same results Calapari has gotten them the last 5 seasons or so. Pretty good regular season followed up with an early tournament exit.

Reactions: Vols till I fall
I love Bruce Pearl, but he’s gonna get them the same results Calapari has gotten them the last 5 seasons or so. Pretty good regular season followed up with an early tournament exit.

Pearl is a good coach, but getting rid of cal for someone like Pearl doesn't make sense.

I mean now it would make sense because it seems like they can't get anyone really good

Reactions: VolDave53 and Evol
Lol pope has never made it past the round of 64

Woah

He didn't make it to the tournament a couple of years ago,and went to the NIT. If true,this is a desperation hire to go after one of their own when everyone else passed them up. Very similar to Matt Daugherty at UNC. A stop gap until they can find who they really want.

VN Store

Back