Kentucky coaching situation

Would Kentucky wait that long to risk it?

They should, even if it means having a bad season. He would be the GUY for them.

Who knows?

UK has a lot of advantages here with the money freed up and the fact that they do have the most passionate fanbase in the sport. They also play in the SEC which isn't loaded with other basketball powers (sure the teams are up but it isn't like there is another major blue blood).

If I was a Basketball coach, I would jump on it. The key is you need the right personality to make it work. Billie Gillispie did NOT have it and Tubbi Smith (despite being a good coach there IMO) didn't have it. I feel like Donovan would be instant credibility with the fans there.

To be fair, I have a lot of family members that are UK fans and my grandfather was a diehard fan. If I didn't have Tennessee, I would probably root for Kentucky. So I keep up with UK somewhat.

I know that. It just seems out of touch to suggest it could be Drew, by name, when he literally turned it down 4 hours ago. I mean, yeah, it could be Drew. It could also be Phil Jackson, technically, I guess.

I know what you're driving at, and I've made the same comparison with Oats having turned it down, but the Saban misdirection is pretty rare. Usually when a coach publicly releases that he's turned down an offer, or has no interest, that coach stays put.

Yeah, I do think Drew is probably out unless UK gets very desperate and comes hard with counter-offer in future. From UK perspective, they probably don't want him now anyways if he isn't interested. Like most hiring managers, you want someone that appreciates and wants the job.

Saban's "public denial" IMO was to keep his season at the Dolphins from derailing and a "give me time to ponder it over" kind of situation. I am wondering the same about Donovan.

Kentucky and Tennessee have a mutual dislike for each other, the ultimate slap in the face would be for UK to hire Bruce Pearl. Bruce would be awesome there.

Pretty sure Hurley is still in play and they are meeting with him today based off there board..

How long before Billy Donovan has "heart problems" and has to step down from his NBA post (and is announced at KenSucky the next day)?

Be careful with coaches rejecting jobs as it has happened and then the coach later got a counter-offer or changed their minds.

That being said, I would be highly surprised if Nate Oats made the jump. The one that I think has a reasonable chance with more prodding is Billy Donovan.

I would assume Billy Donovan and Scott Drew are the leaders.
Scott Drew turned them down. He is staying at Baylor.

The problem is Chicago has already clinched a play in spot. He’s not going to leave a team without a coach that’s in the playoffs. And if they advance from the play in to best-of-7 play, UK would burn out the entire portal period waiting for him, which they can’t afford to do if they want a competitive team next year.
Wait until Cal and Arkansas hit the portal. With Tyson Food's, Jerry Jones, Wal-Mart, money they will have their pick. How many players leave Kentucky and go to Arkansas now? Plus Cal had the number 2 recruiting class for next year.

Wait until Cal and Arkansas hit the portal. With Tyson Food's, Jerry Jones, Wal-Mart, money they will have their pick. How many players leave Kentucky and go to Arkansas now? Plus Cal had the number 2 recruiting class for next year.
Kentucky’s entire recruiting class minus Travis Perry is going to end up in pigville

Kentucky’s entire recruiting class minus Travis Perry is going to end up in pigville

This is why biting the bullet to get Donovan may not be the worse situation. I think 2025 might be a "lost" season for them no matter who they hire.

It's not like UK didn't have money. They paid huge money for Cal and landed top 5 classes pretty much every year. Didn't work in Lexington so why will it work at Arky? Is their money somehow different? Is Cal gonna start grabbing 4 stars and develop them over 2-3 years? Jerry Jones? Yeah, he's done wonders with the cowboys. Like the portal is going to be full of mature first rounders every year?

Reactions: JohnWardForever
Might want to catch up on the twitters before lol-ing. Drew is staying in Waco.

Been back and forth with ALLSTATE on an Insurance claim, (Their client, I'm with Nationwide) so I've not seen anything. Furthermore, I don't tweet or whatever. And UNTIL I see a presser from these coaches in the running, I will take tweets with a grain of salt.

Donovan has never been interested in the UK job and has turned them down multiple times in the past. He's not getting fired by the Bulls. It's been reported this week that he'd have to be fired by Chicago and then have no other NBA team interested to even consider college again.

Donovan has never been interested in the UK job and has turned them down multiple times in the past. He's not getting fired by the Bulls. It's been reported this week that he'd have to be fired by Chicago and then have no other NBA team interested to even consider college again.
What's more, why would an NBA step down into a world of NIL and recruiting to play for a NC vs a NBA title.

once a coach breaks into the NBA, he almost never leaves until he’s exhausted all his opportunities there.

Yeah, he said he was fully committed to Alabama. Whether you believe him is another question.
I don’t believe they actually even contacted him. I think if they contacted him with a contract in hand, it would be different. We’ve seen many coaches turn down jobs they weren’t offered or contacted about. It makes them look good.

Reactions: RockyTop140

VN Store

Back