Kentucky coaching situation

Few has been offered multiple jobs at other programs over the years for more money. He won't go to Kentucky.

And as for Kentucky's signing class going to Arkansas, who cares? Calipari's 1-and-done model has proved a failure. He and his staff
expend huge amounts of time, money, effort every year on new 5 stars who leave the program after one season, two at most. Major investments, every year and poor returns. And it also makes a mockery of college. The 1-and-done idea is a joke. Just expand the NBA development leagues and let the dudes go straight from high-school to semi-pro ball, make some money and see how far their skills can take them. Skip the whole college charade.

Why would an NBA guy with any options in that league jump back into the college game with the state of the portal, tampering and NIL? Insane.
thought he already turned it down. but i was in a ky twitter space and someone said he would come back if he was paid 15 mill minimum.

Billy Donovan doesn’t have to worry about NIL or dealing with the transfer portal.

Hurley is king at UCONN with two National Titles to show for it.

It baffles me that UK fans think they were even realistic candidates.

No reason for either of them to leave for that stressful a$$ job.

Billy Donovan doesn’t have to worry about NIL or dealing with the transfer portal.

Hurley is king at UCONN with two National Titles to show for it.

It baffles me that UK fans think they were even realistic candidates.

No reason for either of them to leave for that stressful a$$ job.
Not even kidding, those were their back up options on Rupps Rafters.

Their #1 (in their mind)was the Phoenix Suns coach. I think Hurley and Donovan were like 4/5 of who they thought they could land.

Grass isn't always greener on the other side. I hope they feel the pain lol. Already tracking planes so we know how this feels.

I’m not sure KY is an elite program anymore. They are just a basketball program who use to be elite. Based on what is being reported their NIL is not in great shape. You have to deal with fans unreal expectations. You have to deal with Stoops, who appears to have an inferiority complex when it comes to KY basketball. Then you have to deal with all the hanger-ons that want a piece of the KY basketball program.

Nick Saban also publicly turned down Bama. "I will not be the head coach at Alabama."
Exactly. Oats said he’s staying at Bama, he didn’t turn down Kentucky. He wasn’t offered their job. Maybe he would turn them down if offered, but all he did was say he’s staying at Bama. Every coaching cycle sees coaches publicly “turn down “ jobs they hadn’t yet been offered. Maybe they genuinely aren’t interested, but it’s not the same as turning down a job. I can put out a statement saying I have me desire to, and will not, become the chairman of NBC.

Exactly. Oats said he’s staying at Bama, he didn’t turn down Kentucky. He wasn’t offered their job. Maybe he would turn them down if offered, but all he did was say he’s staying at Bama. Every coaching cycle sees coaches publicly “turn down “ jobs they hadn’t yet been offered. Maybe they genuinely aren’t interested, but it’s not the same as turning down a job. I can put out a statement saying I have me desire to, and will not, become the chairman of NBC.
Oats seems like the kind of sleeze that would coach Kentucky. Just my opinion though.

Hilarious. Apparently Kentucky was told Hurley wouldn't come there for 200 million dollars. The Rupps Rafters crowd was in full bore "We is Kentucky!" mode over the reported 100m offered.

Reactions: Volfan1000
As big as a program as Kentucky is, they are getting shot down from coaches at inferior programs such as Alabama, Baylor, etc

I hope this is a great example to Vols fans who want sooo badly to fire the best coach we hv ever had here in Tennessee history, Rick Barnes

It's an easy solution to fire a winning coach, its hard to find a legitimate replacement.

If I'm Kentucky, this is who I think you got to pursue right now:

1. Bruce Pearl
2. Mark Few
3. Lamont Paris
4. Will Wade
5. Rick Patino

If you whiff on all those guys, good luck

Might as well beg Calipari to come back
Will Wade would thrive up there.

Maybe they should have offered Oats. However, they probably knew he would no take it.

It's not like UK didn't have money. They paid huge money for Cal and landed top 5 classes pretty much every year. Didn't work in Lexington so why will it work at Arky? Is their money somehow different? Is Cal gonna start grabbing 4 stars and develop them over 2-3 years? Jerry Jones? Yeah, he's done wonders with the cowboys. Like the portal is going to be full of mature first rounders every year?
I think Cal took less money to go to Arkansas. I was just trying to make a point, Kentucky fans think nobody can out spend them. When in real the Kentucky fans are the one that turn on you and makes you want to go coach elsewhere.

Maybe they should have offered Oats. However, they probably knew he would no take it.
Maybe. I think if they do offer him, it’s people going over Mitch’s head. He supposedly wants someone pretty clean of any controversy/scandal/ethical issues which is why people connected say he never was going to go the Oats/Pearl/Pitino route. He didn’t even want Cal in 2009 and famously passed on Cal two years earlier, when Cal was letting it be known how badly he wanted the job.

Maybe. I think if they do offer him, it’s people going over Mitch’s head. He supposedly wants someone pretty clean of any controversy/scandal/ethical issues which is why people connected say he never was going to go the Oats/Pearl/Pitino route. He didn’t even want Cal in 2009 and famously passed on Cal two years earlier, when Cal was letting it be known how badly he wanted the job.
What did Oats do?

I wondered if he might become a candidate as they get told "no" from their fairy tale list.

Before moving to the Big12, his teams got progressively worse each year in the WCC. But they did have a good season moving to the Big 12. this year.

I have a feeling Pope wouldn't exactly be the HR hire Ky fans were expecting.

Reactions: Volfan1000

VN Store

Back