Kentucky Basketball

No. 1 Kentucky routs UNC-Asheville, 89-57
Associated Press

LEXINGTON, Ky. -- Julius Randle scored 15 of his 23 points in the second half to lead five Kentucky players in double figures and help the top-ranked Wildcats' highly touted freshman class debut successfully with an 89-57 season-opening rout of UNC-Asheville on Friday night.

Randle, a 6-foot-9 forward considered the best of Kentucky's six high school All-American recruits in an eight-man group some are calling the best ever, also grabbed 15 rebounds.

Reserve sophomore forward Alex Poythress added 10 points and 13 rebounds. Reserve Marcus Lee added 17 points, James Young had 11 and Aaron Harrison 10 as Kentucky's freshmen helped the Wildcats overcome a ragged start.

Kentucky shot 17 of 30 in the second half to finish 28 of 59 (47.5 percent).

Will Weeks' 19 points led UNC-Asheville, which debuted Nick McDevitt as the Bulldogs' head coach.

No. 1 Kentucky routs UNC-Asheville, 89-57
Associated Press

LEXINGTON, Ky. -- Julius Randle scored 15 of his 23 points in the second half to lead five Kentucky players in double figures and help the top-ranked Wildcats' highly touted freshman class debut successfully with an 89-57 season-opening rout of UNC-Asheville on Friday night.

Randle, a 6-foot-9 forward considered the best of Kentucky's six high school All-American recruits in an eight-man group some are calling the best ever, also grabbed 15 rebounds.

Reserve sophomore forward Alex Poythress added 10 points and 13 rebounds. Reserve Marcus Lee added 17 points, James Young had 11 and Aaron Harrison 10 as Kentucky's freshmen helped the Wildcats overcome a ragged start.

Kentucky shot 17 of 30 in the second half to finish 28 of 59 (47.5 percent).

Will Weeks' 19 points led UNC-Asheville, which debuted Nick McDevitt as the Bulldogs' head coach.

Disappointing performance imo.

F UK

Reactions: 2 people
Disappointing performance imo.

F UK

Of course it's disappointing. We only won by 32 and we played awful offensively. Now imagine if we actually played solid the whole time. That's why this team is scary.

You're a trashy poster (content wise). I understand why you have almost 3000 likes. VN loves this crap.

Louisville plays Charleston tomorrow at 1. Interested to see how Jones and Harrell do. I think UK will lose a close game to MSU on Tuesday, just don't think they are ready for them just yet. But give them another month or so and they should be rolling.

Louisville plays Charleston tomorrow at 1. Interested to see how Jones and Harrell do. I think UK will lose a close game to MSU on Tuesday, just don't think they are ready for them just yet. But give them another month or so and they should be rolling.

I wouldn't be surprised if MSU comes out and is leading by double digits at halftime. I think we make a run in the second half and come up a little short.

Harrell looks like a good player. Much better than advertised.

I wouldn't be surprised if MSU comes out and is leading by double digits at halftime. I think we make a run in the second half and come up a little short.

Harrell looks like a good player. Much better than advertised.

Harrell is a very strong kid, and for however long Chane is out he should do just fine. Just so glad Basketball is back!:dance2:

Harrell is a very strong kid, and for however long Chane is out he should do just fine. Just so glad Basketball is back!:dance2:

Football season didn't turn out like expected? :)

What's the deal with Chane? Sounds like a lot of silly stuff going on.

Football season didn't turn out like expected? :)

What's the deal with Chane? Sounds like a lot of silly stuff going on.

Well now he is back on the practice squad, so he may be back very soon. I don't know what to think of the whole miss. With as much flip flopping the Pitino does, I am not surprised. Whatever violation he was suspended for has still not been released.

Well now he is back on the practice squad, so he may be back very soon. I don't know what to think of the whole miss. With as much flip flopping the Pitino does, I am not surprised. Whatever violation he was suspended for has still not been released.

Rick P executing more tough love for a few days. I've gotten to the point where I believe the opposite of anything that comes out of his mouth.

Poythress' performance should net him more minutes. Double-double with 13 boards in limited PT is fantastic.

And Marcus Lee, too. He has great energy. Very productive for his minutes. At one time he had 14 points in 13 minutes played.

The thing that strikes me most about this team is that there's not a hint of selfishness. All can score, but they choose to pass the ball around- especially the Harrison boys. Very good court vision for both of them.

Lol Kentucky will not go undefeated this year so the KSR folks are retarded. Kentucky needs to learn how to shoot free throws better. I only watched the first half but it didn't look pretty. Also, if they try looking flashy and doing dumb things against MSU, it won't be close. Regardless, Michigan State wins this game by 10.

IDK about ya'll, and I am sure I am on an island on this, but this whole one and done thing is ruining the game. The kid at UK will be gone next year, and they will get another who will be gone and so on... it is like a bunch of mercenaries, no consistence, nobody to care about. I was afraid Stokes was gonna be gone after the way he played his freshman year.

Lol Kentucky will not go undefeated this year so the KSR folks are retarded. Kentucky needs to learn how to shoot free throws better. I only watched the first half but it didn't look pretty. Also, if they try looking flashy and doing dumb things against MSU, it won't be close. Regardless, Michigan State wins this game by 10.

Free throws have to be addressed. You fix it by getting in the gym and shooting them.

2nd half was scary. You missed some good ball.

I watched Kentucky play their exhibition game and last night too. They look descent but nothing spatucular. They're very beatable and they have weaknesses just like every team does. Whoever thinks they're going undefeated this year are out of their minds.

Poythress' performance should net him more minutes. Double-double with 13 boards in limited PT is fantastic.

And Marcus Lee, too. He has great energy. Very productive for his minutes. At one time he had 14 points in 13 minutes played.

The thing that strikes me most about this team is that there's not a hint of selfishness. All can score, but they choose to pass the ball around- especially the Harrison boys. Very good court vision for both of them.
Hold that selfishness thought until they play someone.

SN: Randle is a grown ass man.

I watched Kentucky play their exhibition game and last night too. They look descent but nothing spatucular. They're very beatable and they have weaknesses just like every team does. Whoever thinks they're going undefeated this year are out of their minds.

Of course we're beatable now, more than ever probably. If we get beat it'll be because we have a bad shooting night when a team zones us to death.

KSR is always over the top. But if they were realistic KSR wouldn't be as popular.

Louisville had a very sluggish start to the season. After beating COFC 80-38 last season I was expecting a little more. But they played much better in the second half, liked seeing the 21-3 run they had to end the game.

Cats looking good in first half, up 48-22 on NKU. Randle with a double-double in the first 20 minutes. This kid is unreal.

Harrison twins are going to shoot a buttload of free throws, as will this team. Lights out from behind the arc as well.

Poythress looked great first half as well.

VN Store

Back