Keeping up with the transfers

Wille Carmichael returned to the WKU team but still hasn't played this season. Jabari McGhee played in his first game @ Indiana State. In 9 minutes, McGhee scored 6 points, had 3 rebounds, 1 block, 1 steal and 4 fouls.

Yes, 4 fouls in 9 minutes of play. Rick Stansbury on Jabari McGhee's performance "he gives us another body .....(stats) he allows us to rest the other guys".

Yikes. Looks like we've lucked out.

Wille Carmichael returned to the WKU team but still hasn't played this season. Jabari McGhee played in his first game @ Indiana State. In 9 minutes, McGhee scored 6 points, had 3 rebounds, 1 block, 1 steal and 4 fouls.

Yes, 4 fouls in 9 minutes of play. Rick Stansbury on Jabari McGhee's performance "he gives us another body .....(stats) he allows us to rest the other guys".

My theory was that McGhee fouled way too much at TN and that meant less playing time and more time on the bench created a toxic relationship with Barnes. McGhee was a lot like Fulkerson with the high motor. I wish he could figure out why he draws so many whistles. Lots of fouls penalize the team as well as the offending player. It puts the opponent in a position to get more free points sooner and takes away the strategy of having fouls to give at the end of the game.

Write him off from one game of stats. Brilliant Krager.
Actually played a pretty good first game. 2 of his fouls were setting up inside the arc. His 4th he actually jumped over a guy.
Didn't recognize him at first, he's lost a lot of weight. Very high energy player. Had some good deflections to add to his stats and near assists where guys missed bunnies.

Take him over Evans any day.

Last edited:
Phil Cofer - 1 start, 3.8ppg in 16 min per game at FSU

Jordan Cornish - sitting out after transferring to Tulane, averaged 6.2 in 21.6 mpg last year at UNLV

Larry Austin - sitting out after transferring to Vandy, averaged 1.9ppg in 10.1mpg in 15-16

CJ Turman - kicked off FAU and trying to play overseas apparently

Kingsley Okorah is averaging 5.4 ppg while playing 21 mpg at Cal

^^^ thought it'd be interesting to look back at Cuonzo's last class before he headed to Cal.

I barely remember any of these guys from this group. I have to be honest & I'm a follower of all UT Vol sports & at other schools.

I barely remember any of these guys from this group. I have to be honest & I'm a follower of all UT Vol sports & at other schools.

They all bailed out on their UT commitments (or interest) when Cuonzo quit. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Cuonzo encouraged them to go elsewhere seeing as to how butt hurt he was.

Cuonzo recruited Okorah to Cal on UT's dime.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Any chance that CRB and his staff might go after Cameron Justice, a 1 time UT commitment who is transferring from Vanderbilt?

They all bailed out on their UT commitments (or interest) when Cuonzo quit. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Cuonzo encouraged them to go elsewhere seeing as to how butt hurt he was.

Cuonzo recruited Okorah to Cal on UT's dime.

So, not a single one of them ever played a game for UT. That makes more sense now because I was beginning to think I had lost my mind because I remember pretty well both current & former players. Thanks for that tidbit TGO. :good!:

So, not a single one of them ever played a game for UT. That makes more sense now because I was beginning to think I had lost my mind because I remember pretty well both current & former players. Thanks for that tidbit TGO. :good!:

Yes. Go back to the first post for the summary.

Reactions: 1 person

Lol...Let me help you out here. The title of the article was "Forward McGhee Brings the Energy in WKU Debut"

Sometimes we can't really get the BIG picture when we don't quite get the entire Quote in the intended context. So I'll give you Stansbury's entire quote in a different context.

McGhee “gives us another body,” coach Rick Stansbury said. “… Jabari didn’t play BUT nine minutes with four fouls, but STILL gave us six points with three rebounds. He allowed us to rest some of those other guys.”

If you go back and read another article Stansbury tells you that his entire bench gives him bodies on the floor. And he plays his entire bench because it gives those first 5 time to rest up physically and mentally which helps them make less mistakes. Sounds like good logic.

Yes, fouling is Jabari's weakness. Stansbury doesn't seem to be too worried. In an interview He says you have to take care of the guys who are putting up the big points. So his bench will play. He says he doesn't care how many fouls they have because he still needs them on the foor. He also said Everyone on the bench has a job to do. Sounds like smart coaching.

The main thing is Jabari is not sitting on the bench with his warm ups on GAME after game because he fouled. He's actually playing, contributing and bringing Energy to his team.

If you read all the articles that were written after his debut you'll see that Coach and the team appreciates him no matter what the box score says. They love his energy. He motivates the team. Coach says Jabari's energy challenges the others to give their best. Shucks, Seems like Jabari lucked out! 😉
GBO! I still follow TN

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Actually played a pretty good first game. 2 of his fouls were setting up inside the arc. His 4th he actually jumped over a guy.
Didn't recognize him at first, he's lost a lot of weight. Very high energy player. Had some good deflections to add to his stats and near assists where guys missed bunnies.

Thanks Cal. That's exactly what CRS said in his interview. He also added that as the season progresses and he plays more (and he will) he'll get better.

AD - good luck to Jabari and I like most wish him the best. UT's Bball program has been in hard times since CCM's last season and I don't blame any players who signed up expecting a stable quality program from moving on when things weren't as expected once they arrived.

Hopefully for UT, CRB will stabilize the program such that the players he recruits and signs will want to stay.

AD - good luck to Jabari and I like most wish him the best. UT's Bball program has been in hard times since CCM's last season and I don't blame any players who signed up expecting a stable quality program from moving on when things weren't as expected once they arrived.

Hopefully for UT, CRB will stabilize the program such that the players he recruits and signs will want to stay.

Thanks and I hope the best for UT''s program as well.
My family and I still watch the games and probably always will.

Even Rick Stansbury (his head coach) said he was mainly a body so his other guys can rest. 4 fouls in 9 minutes is insane. He wouldn't even see the court here (and thats why he transferred) if he fouled like that at Tennessee.

I can't argue that he wouldn't perform better than Evans, but that's not a huge accomplishment even if he did perform better.

Calban, you should remember. I was one of the posters who said we were going to regret losing McGhee, but so far, he hasn't changed his one major problem that kept him from doing well here.. he can't stop fouling.

Even Rick Stansbury (his head coach) said he was mainly a body so his other guys can rest. 4 fouls in 9 minutes is insane. He wouldn't even see the court here (and thats why he transferred) if he fouled like that at Tennessee.

I can't argue that he wouldn't perform better than Evans, but that's not a huge accomplishment even if he did perform better.

Calban, you should remember. I was one of the posters who said we were going to regret losing McGhee, but so far, he hasn't changed his one major problem that kept him from doing well here.. he can't stop fouling.
I'd love to still have Jabari on the team. Especially how this team plays with heart and fast paced. What Jabari does doesn't show up on the stat sheet and every team needs that hustle type player. For the longest time Armani Moore was that type of player and then he got betterand developed.

Lol...Let me help you out here. The title of the article was "Forward McGhee Brings the Energy in WKU Debut"

Sometimes we can't really get the BIG picture when we don't quite get the entire Quote in the intended context. So I'll give you Stansbury's entire quote in a different context.

McGhee “gives us another body,” coach Rick Stansbury said. “… Jabari didn’t play BUT nine minutes with four fouls, but STILL gave us six points with three rebounds. He allowed us to rest some of those other guys.”

If you go back and read another article Stansbury tells you that his entire bench gives him bodies on the floor. And he plays his entire bench because it gives those first 5 time to rest up physically and mentally which helps them make less mistakes. Sounds like good logic.

Yes, fouling is Jabari's weakness. Stansbury doesn't seem to be too worried. In an interview He says you have to take care of the guys who are putting up the big points. So his bench will play. He says he doesn't care how many fouls they have because he still needs them on the foor. He also said Everyone on the bench has a job to do. Sounds like smart coaching.

The main thing is Jabari is not sitting on the bench with his warm ups on GAME after game because he fouled. He's actually playing, contributing and bringing Energy to his team.

If you read all the articles that were written after his debut you'll see that Coach and the team appreciates him no matter what the box score says. They love his energy. He motivates the team. Coach says Jabari's energy challenges the others to give their best. Shucks, Seems like Jabari lucked out! 😉
GBO! I still follow TN

I'm hesitant to reply because this never ends well due to your emotional involvement with JM, but here goes...

I think the main issue with JM is that in year 3, he still hasn't learned to defend without fouling. No matter how much a coach likes you, you can't play if you can't stay on the court. Perhaps Stansberry doesn't seem too concerned because he's getting just about what he expected. I can guarantee you that if he needed 25 minute per game from JM, then 4 fouls in 9 minutes would greatly concern him.

I hope everything works out for Jabari, and I'm on record as saying I wish he had stuck it out at Tennessee. To borrow a line from Remember The Titans, Coach Barnes "may be a mean SOB, but he's the same mean SOB to everyone". In other words, he doesn't strike me as the type to play favoritism. He's jumped on just about every player on the team this year at one time or another. You seemingly disagree, or I grossly misinterpreted your thinly-veiled shots at Barnes in your above comments. In any case, best of luck to JM. I continue to follow him through the box scores.

Just a tidbit...two of his fouls were from attempting to take a charge! Lol....maybe that will make it better! More than likely, NOT!
STILL #GBO

Just a tidbit...two of his fouls were from attempting to take a charge! Lol....maybe that will make it better! More than likely, NOT!
STILL #GBO

I guess the positive takeaway perhaps is that at least it wasn't a quick 4 silly fouls where he just left his feet on a pump fake near the basket or lazily reached in as someone drove by him.

I will admit, if a guy is going to pick up 4 quick fouls, I at least want him to make them count. Taking charges would qualify there similarly to giving a hard foul to prevent an easy basket. Every team needs an enforcer. Maybe that is JM's role.

I guess the positive takeaway perhaps is that at least it wasn't a quick 4 silly fouls where he just left his feet on a pump fake near the basket or lazily reached in as someone drove by him.

I will admit, if a guy is going to pick up 4 quick fouls, I at least want him to make them count. Taking charges would qualify there similarly to giving a hard foul to prevent an easy basket. Every team needs
an enforcer. Maybe that is JM's role.
He did get one for the pump fake! Lol...

I'm hesitant to reply because this never ends well due to your emotional involvement with JM, but here goes...

I think the main issue with JM is that in year 3, he still hasn't learned to defend without fouling. No matter how much a coach likes you, you can't play if you can't stay on the court. Perhaps Stansberry doesn't seem too concerned because he's getting just about what he expected. I can guarantee you that if he needed 25 minute per game from JM, then 4 fouls in 9 minutes would greatly concern him.

I hope everything works out for Jabari, and I'm on record as saying I wish he had stuck it out at Tennessee. To borrow a line from Remember The Titans, Coach Barnes "may be a mean SOB, but he's the same mean SOB to everyone". In other words, he doesn't strike me as the type to play favoritism. He's jumped on just about every player on the team this year at one time or another. You seemingly disagree, or I grossly misinterpreted your thinly-veiled shots at Barnes in your above comments. In any case, best of luck to JM. I continue to follow him through the box scores.

At least he won't have to figure it out while sitting the bench. He'll get to play through it and learn from it. That's something he didn't get do at UT. He got fouls in 9 but still got to play in the next game. Fans can only guess or assume what happens on the inside no matter how it "strikes" you. The players experience it.

I took absolutely no shots at Rick Barnes. You know I say what I mean upfront. So you misinterpreted it as usual. Oh and btw...he had only 1 foul in 10 mins last night. Best of luck to UT this season.

Last edited:
At least he won't have to figure it out while sitting the bench. He'll get to play through it and learn from it. That's something he didn't get do at UT. He got fouls in 9 but still got to play in the next game. Fans can only guess or assume what happens on the inside no matter how it "strikes" you. The players experience it.

I took absolutely no shots at Rick Barnes. You know I say what I mean upfront. So you misinterpreted it as usual. Oh and btw...he had only 1 foul in 10 mins last night. Best of luck to UT this season.

Okay AD...if you say so. Your snarky response, despite the fact that I was rather amicable in my comments, was as predictable as the sun rising in the east. Miss Cleo is sensing an equally emotion-filled response a comin'.

Ma'am, you're gonna have to overlook them. I apologize.

VN Store

Back