Josiah James to announce Wednesday

Wow, Clemson...really? I can accept us losing kids to Duke, but come on. Brad Brownell is about the most blah coach imaginable. Literally nothing interesting or intriguing about the guy as a coach. I just don't get it. I understand the instate connection, but Clemson and Charleston are about as far apart in the state as possible and it isn't like they are the state university.

Wow, Clemson...really? I can accept us losing kids to Duke, but come on. Brad Brownell is about the most blah coach imaginable. Literally nothing interesting or intriguing about the guy as a coach. I just don't get it. I understand the instate connection, but Clemson and Charleston are about as far apart in the state as possible and it isn't like they are the state university.

Will be interesting to see the quotes if the choice is indeed Clemson...Tennessee was his first offer, reportedly had the closest relationship with he and family, has the better player developer, seemingly program is in better standing...only plausible thing I can see is location and home state school.

Will be interesting to see the quotes if the choice is indeed Clemson...Tennessee was his first offer, reportedly had the closest relationship with he and family, has the better player developer, seemingly program is in better standing...only plausible thing I can see is location and home state school.

Then his decision to choose Clemson doesn’t make a whole lot of sense unless he just wasn’t impressed with his visit to UT.

Like I said though, even those two things shouldn't be real threats. Clemson is instate, but still 250 miles from Charleston. And choosing Clemson for the instate factor feels like choosing Vanderbilt to represent your home state of Tennessee.

You mentioned all those different things in our favor that would seemingly be more important factors, I would think. Distance from home being a major factor would make more sense if Clemson were an hour from his house and Tennessee were 8 hours away, but the difference is less than 2 hours and about 125 miles. Just very strange.

Reactions: orangevolcano
Like I said though, even those two things shouldn't be real threats. Clemson is instate, but still 250 miles from Charleston. And choosing Clemson for the instate factor feels like choosing Vanderbilt to represent your home state of Tennessee.

You mentioned all those different things in our favor that would seemingly be more important factors, I would think. Distance from home being a major factor would make more sense if Clemson were an hour from his house and Tennessee were 8 hours away, but the difference is less than 2 hours and about 125 miles. Just very strange.

The Clemson Vanderbilt comparison is unfair. Clemson is every bit as "the state school" as south carolina. Far more so than Vanderbilt is here.

My girlfriend used to be a recruiter (for regular students, not athletics) for the university of South Carolina and she would travel all over the south talking at high schools, giving out info, and what not. We lived in Charleston during med school, so I casually mentioned that we were recruiting someone from porter-gaud and that he was between us and Clemson. She literally laughed and said good luck. According to her, the school is as pro Clemson as it gets. In fact, her department quit sending reps to talk to students because of that.

Reactions: VFFL@THE BEACH
May be the kid is just a dumb kid. It is not always the coach.

May be Clemson is going to puts something is his pocket.

I agree, but I also don’t claim to know the kids family history. He attends a private school in Charleston, maybe his family is actually located a bit closer to Clemson?

The Clemson Vanderbilt comparison is unfair. Clemson is every bit as "the state school" as south carolina. Far more so than Vanderbilt is here.

My girlfriend used to be a recruiter (for regular students, not athletics) for the university of South Carolina and she would travel all over the south talking at high schools, giving out info, and what not. We lived in Charleston during med school, so I casually mentioned that we were recruiting someone from porter-gaud and that he was between us and Clemson. She literally laughed and said good luck. According to her, the school is as pro Clemson as it gets. In fact, her department quit sending reps to talk to students because of that.
His HS being pro-Clemson is an entirely different discussion, then.

He will disappear/change his narrative again when the season starts

I would agree. But would also say your shtick of trying to spin everything positive about recruiting needs to stop. This would suck if he chose Clemson. I know you're going to come back with your line of look at the players we have now Barnes develops so it really doesn't matter who we get.

Reactions: vols 30

Really good perspective. If that's the case, then....ugh. Makes sense I guess. And is really unfortunate for us. I hope it's not Clemson, though.

I would agree. But would also say your shtick of trying to spin everything positive about recruiting needs to stop. This would suck if he chose Clemson. I know you're going to come back with your line of look at the players we have now Barnes develops so it really doesn't matter who we get.
It would suck, it sucked losing Mann...the positive is that unlike previous years when we missed on Mann there was still James and Lecque available. And if we miss on those 2 there is still Issac McBride available who’s now a Top 100 ranked player, maybe that’s a positive spin but it’s also the truth.

Reactions: StrangeVol
It would suck, it sucked losing Mann...the positive is that unlike previous years when we missed on Mann there was still James and Lecque available. And if we miss on those 2 there is still Issac McBride available who’s now a Top 100 ranked player, maybe that’s a positive spin but it’s also the truth.

I get that and nornally I would consider myself to be positive or even a pumper so to speak. But until we land one of our higher targets I'm afraid we may be seeing a pattern happen here unfortunately.

Goodness man...your schtick is so tired and played out.
Man I used to not like Vols30, but now I like him more than anyone else in the BBF. Dudes real negative, but atleast he lets others have opinions. A lot of the BBF regs are a joke. They think they’re different than any other forum on here. They’re not.

If we keep missing out on recruits I would hope they start letting criticism on recruiting in here. We have the best basketball coach in the SEC (my favorite coach UT has had in my lifetime, in any sport), but no one is ever above criticism.

Reactions: i2amavol
Man I used to not like Vols30, but now I like him more than anyone else in the BBF. Dudes real negative, but atleast he lets others have opinions. A lot of the BBF regs are a joke. They think they’re different than any other forum on here. They’re not.

If we keep missing out on recruits I would hope they start letting criticism on recruiting in here. We have the best basketball coach in the SEC (my favorite coach UT has had in my lifetime, in any sport), but no one is ever above criticism.

Doesn't seem to be a matter of anyone "letting" anyone have an opinion. Vols30 likes to be the guy that always brings the negative. When was the last time he said something positive regarding the basketball program? That's when it becomes his schtick and not just an opinion.

I stand behind my opinion....its played out.

Brownell even chose Clemson over us. Larry Brown advised him to not come here. Maybe there's still a boogy man out there dissing us to recruits.

I think there is room for fair criticism in this forum. I have been very critical of this staff's inability to secure any of our top options for the fourth straight year now. In the past, I have excused missing out on those guys because of the state and perception of our program, but that is in the past, now. Barnes has cleaned up this mess, reset the table, and has on the court production and success to sell, to boot. There really is no excuse to have to continually dip into your 3rd tier of recruiting options coming off of a season like we had. And losing guys like James to programs Clemson (potentially), instate or not, stings. Same with Mann and Florida. Those are two guys who we identified early, offered early, and had some inside connections with. The fact we lose them to instate programs is the only face-saving excuse available, because we seemingly have every other factor in our favor.

As for Vols30, some of his criticisms are warranted, but by his own admission, he was too quick to judge Barnes based on what he saw on the court last year, and IIRC, he even went on to apologize publicly for his past criticism, and vowed to never doubt Barnes again. Some will view his current commentary on recruiting as doing just that, though, so I can see why they don't take kindly to what they perceive as waffling on that statement.

With that said, recruiting leaves a little to be desired. No argument from me. Barnes has proven an ability to find, and coach players from the 3rd tier into successful SEC players and teams. Can he do that consistently, or did he catch lightning in a bottle with Williams and Schofield? Those are fair questions to ask and fair criticisms. I wouldn't call it fair to harp on those ideas and beat them to death, but they are worth acknowledging. Anyone who says otherwise isn't being honest, and the only way Barnes will shut them down is to land some primary/secondary targets. He still has a chance to do that this year with Jalen Lecque.

I get that and nornally I would consider myself to be positive or even a pumper so to speak. But until we land one of our higher targets I'm afraid we may be seeing a pattern happen here unfortunately.
People wanted us to swim with the big fish for recruits, we are and now they’re mad we get beat out. Gotta wonder if Duke fans are saying the same things our fans are since they also have missed out on some top guys?

Reactions: Knoxwhodat

Have you ever visited the Political Forum lol or the Football Forum? That place is just a popularity contest and a place where everyone tries to get the most "likes".... We all like Vols30, but man any chance he can get to take a jab at CRB he takes it. No offense Vols30 I think you're just a pessimistic person.

From Tos:

"Honestly hard to get a read on this one. Obviously there's momentum for Clemson based on the Crystal Ball projections swinging that way.
When I talked to Josiah's high school coach last week, he mentioned loyalty being a factor with Tennessee. Vols have been recruiting Josiah for four years, the first major program to show interest in him by over a year. So that would favor Tennessee. His coach said the family feel with Barnes and his staff and his players at Tennessee was important to Josiah. And one of the bigger factors was player development, which Barnes obviously has a track record of.
I actually got some texts Friday night saying a decision from Josiah could be coming sooner rather than later, and that the scheduled OV at Duke probably wasn't going to happen. Tried to confirm that chatter over the weekend, and then Josiah announces today that he'll be picking a school at 10:30am on Wednesday. And others reported that the Duke visit was off.
So, again, hard to get a read on this one. Tennessee has spent four years putting itself in this spot. But maybe the in-state school comes in and gets him. Guess we'll find out Wednesday morning."

Can we just let him make a decision before we start claiming the sky is falling. This is the first year in a long time that we are even in the conversation for players this caliber. Even CBP couldn't close the deal on players ranked this high. (Except maybe Tobias Harris). Still I think Lecque and James would be the highest ranked players in UT history. They haven't made their mind up yet. Despite crystal ball predictions no one knows for sure what James is thinking. So just relax and find out Wed. before you start jumping to conclusions. We've had 1 successful year. We are still building.

Reactions: tmack50 and Stoked

VN Store

Back