Josh Pastner has no interest in playing Tennessee

UT fans sure are hot over the fact that a school that's so "beneath them" and "is not a rival" decided to play Lousiville in basketball and not them.

Sheesh.

UT fans sure are hot over the fact that a school that's so "beneath them" and "is not a rival" decided to play Lousiville in basketball and not them.

Sheesh.

I'm just really upset that the NCAA said they were only allowed to play 1 of the 2. Really overstepping their bounds, IMO.

Your insecurity over the fact that your coach is a little chicken-**** is really adorable.

Also, if reading comprehension served me correctly, I think most UT fans were saying this was MSU's one actual rivalry.

Sheesh.

Do you peruse the cardinal message boards since they're actually your rival?

This game is probably 5th or 6th most important on Tennessee's schedule...I'm guessing it's top 3 on UMs schedule.

Last edited:
Do you peruse the cardinal message boards since they're actually your rival?

This game is probably 5th or 6th most important on Tennessee's schedule...I'm guessing it's top 3 on UMs schedule.

I don't live in Louisville, or really root for Cardinal basketball, but I've been to several Louisville message boards, yes.

With the number of teams that have or will be vacating the Big East don't be surprise if Memphis has a change of heart about playing UT.

With the number of teams that have or will be vacating the Big East don't be surprise if Memphis has a change of heart about playing UT.

It's in the books already, I'm afraid. I wish the game would continue, but Louisville is a good replacement.

I always thought this basketball game was tied directly to the football series and the money that program needed from UT's pockets to watch the Vols play in that craptacular football stadium.

Sheesh.

I consider Memphis a rival of ours'. I wish we played every year, and not because I think we stand to gain much, if anything from playing Memphis. I just think the game is always entertaining, the respective fanbases seem to like it (despite what they may say), and it brings the national basketball spotlight to the state of Tennessee when both teams are playing well (see 2008).

I hate to see it end, and I think the reasons being given for ending it are poor. If Memphis really believes they can get whomever they want from the Memphis public school system, then they shouldn't feel threatened anymore by Tennessee's presence in the city than they do by Louisville's, Gonzaga's, Southern Mississippi's, or Marshall's presence there.

I always thought this basketball game was tied directly to the football series and the money that program needed from UT's pockets to watch the Vols play in that craptacular football stadium.

It is tied to the football series. Memphis wants to play Tennessee in football for obvious monetary reasons. Tennessee agreed solely on the condition that the basketball series be continued as well. Otherwise, Memphis would have axed the basketball rivalry years ago. You won't see Tennessee playing Memphis in football anymore as a result of Memphis' decision to end the basketball series.

I consider Memphis to be one of UT's primary basketball rivals (probably behind only Vanderbilt and UF (UK isn't a rivalry because it is so one-sided)) and I really liked the series being played. I think Memphis has good talent but is coached by an outright hack (Pastner is to Memphis what Dooley was to UT, the guy that was hired because of timing pressures and has been exposed as inept). With the right coach, Memphis could be back to competing for Elite Eights and maybe even Final Fours. There is really good basketball talent in Tennessee, even outside of Memphis, and this game meant something for the programs and their image in-state. For me, there is no really good reason to discontinue the series and the assertions that UT is not a rival and it is win-win for UT and lose-lose for Memphis is subterfuge for Memphis being concerned about losing to an allegedly inferior program (UT is 3-2 in the last five games). All in all, it was a great rivalry series that was evenly matched and I thought it was good for both programs.

I understand new conference match-ups, but it really sounds like Pastner is the little kid that got picked on.

Reactions: 1 person
I consider Memphis to be one of UT's primary basketball rivals (probably behind only Vanderbilt and UF (UK isn't a rivalry because it is so one-sided)) and I really liked the series being played. I think Memphis has good talent but is coached by an outright hack (Pastner is to Memphis what Dooley was to UT, the guy that was hired because of timing pressures and has been exposed as inept). With the right coach, Memphis could be back to competing for Elite Eights and maybe even Final Fours. There is really good basketball talent in Tennessee, even outside of Memphis, and this game meant something for the programs and their image in-state. For me, there is no really good reason to discontinue the series and the assertions that UT is not a rival and it is win-win for UT and lose-lose for Memphis is subterfuge for Memphis being concerned about losing to an allegedly inferior program (UT is 3-2 in the last five games). All in all, it was a great rivalry series that was evenly matched and I thought it was good for both programs.

I readily admit that UT is a rival, as would most Memphis fans. The ones that don't are the just like the UT fans that claim Memphis isn't a rival; because they see it as a slight to the other team. I don't believe Pastner ever said that Ut was not a rival, either.

As for Memphis "losing to an inferior program", the series is 4-4 since the Cal/Pearl era, so Memphis has done as much losing as UT. Historically, Memphis has done better against UT lately than the 80s and 90s for example.

Memphis always talks about being a much better basketball school than UT. But, the Vols are 14-10 all time against Memphis. The Big Orange is even 6-6 in Memphis, including beating the Tigers in what was billed as the "biggest game ever played in Memphis."

Let the losers walk. An entire conference (Big East) fell apart after admitting Tiger High.

I have always believed this series is more for the fans (and some of the players) than the programs themselves.

Memphis and UT will both be fine if they don't play each other. Not like it is UNC-Duke or UK-UL.

Memphis is backing out because they know it can't help them but can hurt their recruiting. We backed out because we didn't want to lose.

Not even close to being the same. We backed out of a home and home- 2 games. This is a regional rivalry that has been played 24 times and for at least 12 straight years.

I am guessing that football is done as well.

Tennessee should strike a deal with Louisville to play a yearly game at the FedEx Forum just to stick it to Memphis and Pastner.

Reactions: 1 person
I've always liked this rivalry. Just moved to Memphis, and the series gets cancelled, so that kinda sucks.

Lived in Memphis for a while. Not sure why that city has such a huge inferiority complex. I still say, if we gave it to Mississippi, it'd raise the IQ in both states.

Memphis State isn't even relevant. Who give a rats anus? When Cal left so did any chance at ever becoming good at anything, ever.

VN Store

Back