Josh Pastner has no interest in playing Tennessee

Last year, when we played at UL it was an 8 point game...but don't let facts get in the way.

You don't know what the word "fact" means do you? If you did, you would know that I didn't mention last years game. Go get a dictionary and post the definition of "fact".

"Past performance does not guarantee the future results."

Last edited:
I don't understand why these stupid arguments are made between our two fan bases. It is a great rivalry both ways. Some of this silliness is just dumb. I can't believe a Memphis fan is saying something positive about Louisville just to piss off UT fans.

I'm not pissed off. I laugh at Tiger High fans. They hide during football season and then come out of the woodwork during hoops season trying to beg for relevancy. They have all the bluster of a Ky, Indiana or UNC fan and all the tradition of a, well, Memphis fan.

Reactions: 3 people
Memphis fans are such liars and their coach just hitched his ride to those bogus lies. As a matter of fact, there are two reasons why Memphis doesn't want to play UT.

(1) They are afraid to lose. No, not that they're scared of us, but afraid of the possibility of losing to us. They fashion themselves as a sort of lesser Duke (or sometimes even think they are almost equals), certainly well above the lowly Vols. The problem of them having a losing record towards us gnaws at them and their presumptions of greatness and delusions of grandeur. Without playing us, they can spout this line and never have to worry about putting that idea on the line, especially since that has been problematic at times for them.

(2) Dropping us gives them the opportunity to present that air of not caring about us, even though they passionately hate us. And, yes, they hate us. Really hate us. Pastner can spout the nonsense every other Tiger fan tosses out about Louisville (whom they do hate) being their only real rival, but spend about 10 minutes in Memphis and you'll know what a bunch of crap this is.

(3) Bonus Point: Any justification based on recruiting is BS and an insult to any sentient being's intelligence. I've heard this comment by Cal, Pastner and a million other Tiger fans for the last 10 years or so. So, please, tell me the great inroads UT has made towards picking up Memphis kids? Dane Bradshaw? Oh, yeah, we got Jarnell Stokes. Fantastic. But, that was only because we had an available scholarship and playing in the FedEx Arena wasn't even scheduled for his time here.

Sorry, but Pastner needs to spread his lies somewhere else and someone should call out the Memphis cowardice on this issue. The Memphis and UT rivalry has been a fun, interesting series with some great games. Telling me that Memphis playing Texas will ignite the same passions is idiotic.

I couldn't care less about Memphis. I care about SEC rivals. If they don't want to play anymore, fine by me. It's not like anyone west of Memphis cares about them anyway.

It's an honor to lose to a program such as Louisville.

I'm confused. If UT is "not a rival", why are you here? Are you on Gonzaga, UCLA and Texas sites regularly as well? I mean, Pastner tells us those programs mean as much as we do to them. It must be coincidental that Memphis people show up here.

Memphis fans are such liars and their coach just hitched his ride to those bogus lies. As a matter of fact, there are two reasons why Memphis doesn't want to play UT.

(1) They are afraid to lose. No, not that they're scared of us, but afraid of the possibility of losing to us. They fashion themselves as a sort of lesser Duke (or sometimes even think they are almost equals), certainly well above the lowly Vols. The problem of them having a losing record towards us gnaws at them and their presumptions of greatness and delusions of grandeur. Without playing us, they can spout this line and never have to worry about putting that idea on the line, especially since that has been problematic at times for them.

(2) Dropping us gives them the opportunity to present that air of not caring about us, even though they passionately hate us. And, yes, they hate us. Really hate us. Pastner can spout the nonsense every other Tiger fan tosses out about Louisville (whom they do hate) being their only real rival, but spend about 10 minutes in Memphis and you'll know what a bunch of crap this is.

(3) Bonus Point: Any justification based on recruiting is BS and an insult to any sentient being's intelligence. I've heard this comment by Cal, Pastner and a million other Tiger fans for the last 10 years or so. So, please, tell me the great inroads UT has made towards picking up Memphis kids? Dane Bradshaw? Oh, yeah, we got Jarnell Stokes. Fantastic. But, that was only because we had an available scholarship and playing in the FedEx Arena wasn't even scheduled for his time here.

Sorry, but Pastner needs to spread his lies somewhere else and someone should call out the Memphis cowardice on this issue. The Memphis and UT rivalry has been a fun, interesting series with some great games. Telling me that Memphis playing Texas will ignite the same passions is idiotic.

You are on to something. For Cal to say that he didn't want to play for recruiting reasons is ridiculous because Cal didn't recruit Memphis players himself. Willie Kemp was about the closest he got. While this is the sentiment if Pastner, I can tell you that I know quite a few Memphis fans who would hate to see the series end.

And how is this relevant? We are talking about a series that has been played 24 times and for at least the last 12 straight years.

Memphis is backing out because they know it can't help them but can hurt their recruiting. We backed out because we didn't want to lose.

Short answer is playing UT does nothing for Memphis but increase RPI, Memphis could easily find another replacement for an RPI boost. The game is a win/win for UT.

Short answer is playing UT does nothing for Memphis but increase RPI, Memphis could easily find another replacement for an RPI boost. The game is a win/win for UT.

If Memphis were indifferent to playing UT then Pastner wouldn't make such a pointed comment of "we will never play them while I'm here". Spin those lies all you want, but the Vols mean something more than an RPI to the Tigers.

No, it's not a win/win for UT. The only thing it helps is in recruiting and exposure and Stokes was the first Memphis player we've gotten since Bradshaw in 2002. So, it really hasn't helped that much in recruiting. I think UT will survive just fine without the series.

Memphis needs UT more than UT needs Memphis. Just like in football. UT has the SEC and plays more quality competition year in and year out than any teams that Memphis plays in CUSA or what will be left of the Big East once Memphis moves.

The level of jealousy UM fans have for UT is absolutely hilarious. They'll try to convince you that Louisville is their biggest rival or that UT is "just another game", and it's all bulls***. Most are too ashamed to admit it but for the most part they revel in a UT loss more than they do any other program.

Unfortunately, Pastner likely only has two more seasons tops before he is canned. The only thing that will save his rear end and give him another year is another overrated recruiting class that on paper looks great. Why do I say that? Because every class he has pulled in has not amounted to the hype. Jackson, Black, Crawford, Antonio Barton, and to some extent Adonis Thomas have all been let downs. Thomas looked like a sure draft pick going into this season and now he has likely played himself out of the draft. Most of that responsibility stems from Pastner not coaching these guys to their full potential and just letting them play up and down street ball. None of the players from the much renowned local 2010 recruiting class have improved from their freshmen years. Pastner has failed in developing these players. I attend a few games a year at the Forum, and I can easily mistake them for the Harlem Globetrotters. Overall, they are very undisciplined. Talent wise, Memphis is better. But one advantage for Tennessee is that Memphis always struggles against half court defensive teams.

The series won't be gone forever. Remember Louisville quit playing Memphis, when Louisville joined the Big East due to Pitino's strong dislike towards Calipari. Pitino has to play Cal now for obvious reasons. When Pastner is gone, the series can resume again.

Last edited:
It's funny because Louisville doesn't care about them. Yes, there's a general dislike of Memphis here, but it's mostly all about UK. Memphis is an afterthought. Actually, not even that. I never hear mention of Memphis from Louisville fans other than on the day(s) they actually play Memphis.

Tennessee and Memphis, I thought, was a good in-state rivalry. But whatever.

They're like the little brother that wants to be noticed, wants attention. Pastner sounds pathetic. They are the fat dude chasing after the smoking hot 10 that's way way out of his league.

Last edited:
I question whether Pastner really understands Memphis' place in college basketball. If UT isn't a real rival for Memphis, than what program is Memphis' rival? Louisville cares very little for Memphis and there are no other candidates. In spite of their contention to the contrary, UT is Memphis' rival and the in-state bragging rights makes the game important for the fans.

I really enjoyed the UT-Memphis series and I think this does nothing but hurt the State of Tennessee's basketball programs. I really enjoyed the 2007-2008 year when UT, Memphis, Vanderbilt, and Belmont all had great years. I view basketball differently than football in that the teams on your schedule doing well really helps getting into the tournament, etc., and I liked Tennessee being the center of the college basketball world for a time.

Memphis has a severely misplaced sense of itself in the basketball pantheon. Memphis is a good but not great program with a few good to great years in its history. UT, in spite of being a historically mediocre, at best, basketball program has a winning record against Memphis, which is pretty revealing. All in all, Pastner is, at best, an AAU level coach who is being revealed as the hack that he is and he is scared that the "marquee" brand name of Memphis basketball will be sullied by losing to UT. Shockingly, Memphis, I think, needs the UT game to improve its RPI. Also, Tennessee actually produces good basketball talent, not just in Memphis, and I think that the rivalry would help with state wide recruiting. At the end of the day, this is a sad day for both Memphis and UT fans because this game meant something for both the fans and the programs.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back