Josh Dobbs - NFL Draft thread (merged)

:lol:
7621372.gif

Way too hard. Went 0-60 awfully quick. Think you got this one pegged Butchy.

Welcome back AmericanPig....over/under set at 6 weeks.

Reactions: 2 people
Way too hard. Went 0-60 awfully quick. Think you got this one pegged Butchy.

Welcome back AmericanPig....over/under set at 6 weeks.

He's got keywords and go to terminology. Didn't take long. :)

Reactions: 3 people
Because the QB rating is all that matters right? Shouldn't look at the context of that rating at all right? Oh wait, maybe we should.

While at UT Dobbs completed 614 passes, do you know how many of those passes were behind the LOS, or 0-9 yards? 417, or 67% of all of his completions. Do you know what his QB rating is for passes longer than 9 yards, 53.9. Go find a 'superstar' NFL QB who coming out of college had a 53.9% QB rating on passes longer than 9 yards.

No matter how much you want him to be, Josh Dobbs is not an NFL-caliber QB at the moment. His running ability is awesome but largely inconsequential in the NFL, and his accuracy outside of 10 yards is just bad in comparison to the other QBs entering the draft in 2017.

A few years under a good QB coach, and maybe he can get past those shortcomings, but he's never going to be the NFL 'superstar' in real life that he is in that jumbled mess you call a head.
Where did you find all of those stats? I would like to know if his accuracy regarding passes 9+ yards increased by year, how many drops there were, average ranked pass defense they all faced, and how much time he had to throw in the pocket in comparison to other QB's in this draft class. Not agreeing or disagreeing with anything you said, but it would be interesting to compare all of them.

Reactions: 1 person
Where did you find all of those stats? I would like to know if his accuracy regarding passes 9+ yards increased by year, how many drops there were, average ranked pass defense they all faced, and how much time he had to throw in the pocket in comparison to other QB's in this draft class. Not agreeing or disagreeing with anything you said, but it would be interesting to compare all of them.

Evaluating Josh Dobbs' Career at Tennessee

This has some of the information that you are looking for, and it's where I got the passing stats breakdown.

Behind: 179 accurate throws, 30 inaccurate throws, six drops (85.6 percent accurate)
Short (0-9 yards): 238 accurate throws, 83 inaccurate throws, 27 drops (74.1 percent accurate)
Intermediate (10-19 yards): 100 accurate throws, 74 inaccurate throws, eight drops (57.5 percent accurate)
Deep (20+ yards): 60 accurate throws, 63 inaccurate throws, 15 drops (48.8 percent accurate)
Overall: 577 accurate throws, 250 inaccurate throws, 56 drops (69.8 percent accurate)

Last edited:

This has some of the information that you are looking for, and it's where I got the passing stats breakdown.

Behind: 179 accurate throws, 30 inaccurate throws, six drops (85.6 percent accurate)
Short (0-9 yards): 238 accurate throws, 83 inaccurate throws, 27 drops (74.1 percent accurate)
Intermediate (10-19 yards): 100 accurate throws, 74 inaccurate throws, eight drops (57.5 percent accurate)
Deep (20+ yards): 60 accurate throws, 63 inaccurate throws, 15 drops (48.8 percent accurate)
Overall: 577 accurate throws, 250 inaccurate throws, 56 drops (69.8 percent accurate)

It makes me wonder:

How bad does it have to be to call a throw inaccurate?

Was the throw inaccurate or was the route inaccurate?

Do throw away balls count as inaccurate?

How do throws while being hit get graded?

Just wondering.

To pretend hat JD didn't throw some inaccurate balls is being silly,

I'll never forget the bad throw to the receiver that fell against Ga 2015 for a completion on 4th down. PERFECT!

It makes me wonder:

How bad does it have to be to call a throw inaccurate?

Was the throw inaccurate or was the route inaccurate?

Do throw away balls count as inaccurate?

How do throws while being hit get graded?

Just wondering.

To pretend hat JD didn't throw some inaccurate balls is being silly,

I'll never forget the bad throw to the receiver that fell against Ga 2015 for a completion on 4th down. PERFECT!

I don't think it's taking into account intentional throwaways, but then again no QB's rating takes those into account either, so it's a moot point.

Last edited:

Good stuff. Thanks.

A year or 2 on some team's 4 man's practice team then move on to this thing called life doesn't have the arm to play in the NFL and he proved that while here can't hit a 15 yard out or the deep ball no chance to make it.

No, but he can chuck it 50 yards and hit the goal post.

He'll be fine with proper coaching

No, but he can chuck it 50 yards and hit the goal post.

He'll be fine with proper coaching

I think his biggest challenge to overcome if he ends up on an NFL team, will be his desire to try to run out of plays. His entire college career, the offense was based on him being an optional rusher on every play; that's going to be a hard mindset to change.

I know there are ton of Dobbs haters on this site but I am not one of them. I honestly think he could play in the league if he cleaned up this throwing. He for sure is athletic enough, smart enough, and has the leadership abilities to do it.

That's pretty much what Gruden said as well. He also added that Dobbs has the drive and work ethic to make it plausible that his throwing improves.

A year or 2 on some team's 4 man's practice team then move on to this thing called life doesn't have the arm to play in the NFL and he proved that while here can't hit a 15 yard out or the deep ball no chance to make it.

Actually he does have the arm but his inconsistent throws are his issue. His footwork isn't the same all the time and that is partly to blame for it. A good qb coach and Dobbs absolutely has a chance to make it in the NFL. As usual your posts are full of inaccuracies and ignorance.

Reactions: 2 people

Context matters.

Could you compare these numbers to the other draft eligible QBs or other QBs from the past so we can see where Dobbs stands?

Cause from where I'm looking these numbers look good.

Context matters.

Could you compare these numbers to the other draft eligible QBs or other QBs from the past so we can see where Dobbs stands?

You could compare it like that or break it down to SEC/power 5 throws

That's pretty much what Gruden said as well. He also added that Dobbs has the drive and work ethic to make it plausible that his throwing improves.

This is the big thing people always miss about the draft and why it's such an inexact science. Players get better. That is why you simply can't assume that Josh won't improve as a passer once he gets to the NFL.

Like Gruden I would bank on a player with Dobbs intelligence, work ethic, and drive to keep improving over most other guys who once they get that first big contract will be content and think they've made it.

Context matters.

1st you say you don't know how to "compare", then you say they "look good".

Really?

With a good NFL QB coach, he could be a real good NFL QB imo.

It would make for great volnation fodder if he ended up getting coached up by Bajakian and lighting the league on fire. :eek:lol:

I know this scenario isn't really reasonable, but neither is my excitement for spring football:crazy:

VN Store

Back