Josh Dobbs - NFL Draft thread (merged)

He had 5 wins and 3 losses last year as a starter and signed an extension back in March. He is more that a warm body.

Denial is a hell of a thing. He'll never be a reliable starter. His best possible career path would be perma-backup much like Charlie Batch was... and he's not even on Charlie's level. Our staff has done a fantastic job getting what they can out of Landry. I would love to see what they do with actual talent.

I am really, really glad that Josh went to the Steelers. Ben Rothlesburger( sp.) is looking to retire and has already said that he will help Josh any way he can. So he gets to hold the clipboard for a future hall of famer learn the ropes. Thing is tho' Ben gets hurt a lot and Dobbs may well get his call into the big dogs club sooner than he thinks

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Pittsburgh reporter:

John Steigerwald‏*@Steigerworld 4m
I heard a lot of interviews with a lot of Steelers picks on draft day. Never heard one more mature, intelligent & impressive as Josh Dobbs.

And nobody in the VolNation is surprised to hear this. We were very lucky to have him as the face of our program.

The Steelers drafted 4 guys I had rated as 1st round picks before the draft. This isn't me totting their horn now after the draft. I was high on these 4 guys before the draft.

JuJu Smith-Schuster was my #2 ranked WR that I compared to Dez Bryant. Cam Sutton was my #1 ranked CB that I compared to Darrelle Revis. James Conner was my #2 ranked RB that I compared to Franco Harris. And obviously Josh Dobbs was my #1 ranked QB that I compared to Randall Cunningham.

If a team landed Randall Cunningham, Franco Harris, Darrelle Revis, and Dez Bryant in the same draft class, it would be legendary. That is what the Steelers potentially have done. Incredible situation for Dobbs to have not only early success but some incredible long-term success as well.

Is D4H LaVar Ball? He is the only person who can come close to such outlandish claims.

Denial is a hell of a thing. He'll never be a reliable starter. His best possible career path would be perma-backup much like Charlie Batch was... and he's not even on Charlie's level. Our staff has done a fantastic job getting what they can out of Landry. I would love to see what they do with actual talent.

Dude I never said he was a starter. I'm not even a Steelers fan, but anyone can see he is a solid backup. Coming off the bench and giving you 5 wins in 8 games as a backup is fantastic. Talk about denial, damn.

Last edited:
Nah. I've been high on Tabor this entire draft process. I had him rated as a late 1st rounder even with the slow 40.

You might be thinking about last year. At this time last year I was anti-Tabor cause I felt he was getting overrated. Remember that at this time last year people were saying he would be a top 10 pick and the first CB taken. I said hold up, he ran slow at the Opening and this lack of speed was an impediment to getting draft that early.

I love Tabor's instincts and competitiveness though. I think he'll be a really good player in the NFL. Potential pro-bowler.

Question: do you think Tabor purposely held back on his 40 time like Dobbs, reportedly (by you) , did to "help" his draft stock?

cunningham was a generational freak man, Dobbs aint. Randall could run faster, jump higher, lean lower, and throw farther than Dobbs can. If Dobbs ends up better in the NFL, its because hes smarter.

And cause Randall had **** talent around him offensively, it was pretty much here's the ball Randall...go. He had a pretty incredible season in Minnesota when he finally had talent around him. Oddly enough with the guy (plus Moss, Reed and Smith of course) that may have changed how history looks at Randall. If Carter hadn't been fighting his demons back in Philly, We might be talking about them as one of the best QB/WR combos of all time, and perhaps Randall as a top 5 QB...which talent wise he probably already is. Man I loved me some Randall. Lol

Cracks me up how much time you guys spend reading/replying to D4H when he's actually yanking your chain all this time.

Prediction: he's a middle aged white guy who belly laughs when he sees how much time you spend replying to his outlandish sports/political "views."

Cracks me up how much time you guys spend reading/replying to D4H when he's actually yanking your chain all this time.

Prediction: he's a middle aged white guy who belly laughs when he sees how much time you spend replying to his outlandish sports/political "views."

If you actually had been paying attention over the last couple years in the PF you would know better. He doesn't have many fans from those that post there.

From what he has said, your prediction is 180 deg off. Of course with all of his BS, he could have been lying about that also.

Last edited:
Hopefully you'll also remind me when he's holding up the Lombardi Trophy next year as a superbowl winning QB.

Yeah I said it. If Josh gets a chance he will lead Pittsburgh to a superbowl as soon as next year.

Making him the first rookie qb to even play in a Super Bowl. Much less win one. Yeah, don't think so. Hope you're right, but don't see it.

Gotta give credit where due. D4H deserves his victory lap. Many had given up hope. He called it.

Not really impressive when you "call it" about 6 different ways and one of them happens.

Like I predict either the Warriors, Spurs, Rockets, Jazz, Cavs, Celtics, Raptors, or Wizards will win the NBA Championship; be sure to praise me when it turns out I called it.

We have released QB Zach Mettenberger.

-Pitttsburgh Steelers tweet

Now all he has to do is beat Landry Jones out in the preseason (which shouldn't be too hard) and he'll be the backup to Ben going into the regular season. Then it will be all about waiting for your chance and making the most of it.

Now all he has to do is beat Landry Jones out in the preseason (which shouldn't be too hard) and he'll be the backup to Ben going into the regular season. Then it will be all about waiting for your chance and making the most of it.

It will be harder than you think considering the fact that Josh is somewhat of a project at this point. And the fact that Jones has had some success as the back-up. His goal should be to make the team. The most likely scenario is that he'll be third string and given plenty of time to develop properly. It's going to be a big change going under center and learning to how to go through the progressions. Like most rookies, he'll struggle with the speed of the game

Not really impressive when you "call it" about 6 different ways and one of them happens.

Like I predict either the Warriors, Spurs, Rockets, Jazz, Cavs, Celtics, Raptors, or Wizards will win the NBA Championship; be sure to praise me when it turns out I called it.

Just want to take this opportunity to remind everyone that I was 100% on all of UT's drafts this past week.....100%.

Like most rookies, he'll struggle with the speed of the game

I'm sorry but when I read the words "speed of the game" I remember the flop by the defensive player in the Bowling Green game and all those defensive players faking injuries in another game when the Tennessee offense was going fast and furious. And it just makes me laugh.

VN Store

Back