Josh Dobbs (merged)

Dobbs is smart on an intellectual level, but you can see his passing instincts were bad. Thats 90% not able to be fixed.

Dobbs is smart on an intellectual level, but you can see his passing instincts were bad. Thats 90% not able to be fixed.
might be different with a better OL -- he had very little time to throw at UT and a bonehead for an OC and coach -- guess well see the next 4 weeks

Reactions: Dobbs 4 Heisman
might be different with a better OL -- he had very little time to throw at UT and a bonehead for an OC and coach -- guess well see the next 4 weeks

And more experience. QBs way more talented couldn't succumb to bad instincts.

Preseason Week 1: Quarterback Controversy and Depth Chart

Landry Jones – is putting together a solid camp, he knows the offense, and is making the correct reads. He is starting to lose some preseason snaps to the other 2 QBs. I’m not sure if it is to see the competition between them, or if they are gaining snaps from positive play.

Josh Dobbs – is in his second season with the Steelers, and has familiarity with the offense. After a terrible preseason week 1 debut last year against the Giants, he improved the rest of the preseason and showed promise. He started the preseason in the #3 spot, but has started making mistakes and is losing snaps to the rookie.

Mason Rudolph – started out as #4 on the depth chart and has pulled even with Dobbs as the third QB. He’s been steadily improving each day at camp, and his reps have increased accordingly. He’s competitive, intelligent, a student of the game, and has a command of the huddle. For a rookie to show this type of poise so early, is rare. It will be interesting to see how he does against a defense that is allowed to tackle you.

Preseason Week 1: Quarterback Controversy and Depth Chart

Landry Jones – is putting together a solid camp, he knows the offense, and is making the correct reads. He is starting to lose some preseason snaps to the other 2 QBs. I’m not sure if it is to see the competition between them, or if they are gaining snaps from positive play.

Josh Dobbs – is in his second season with the Steelers, and has familiarity with the offense. After a terrible preseason week 1 debut last year against the Giants, he improved the rest of the preseason and showed promise. He started the preseason in the #3 spot, but has started making mistakes and is losing snaps to the rookie.

Mason Rudolph – started out as #4 on the depth chart and has pulled even with Dobbs as the third QB. He’s been steadily improving each day at camp, and his reps have increased accordingly. He’s competitive, intelligent, a student of the game, and has a command of the huddle. For a rookie to show this type of poise so early, is rare. It will be interesting to see how he does against a defense that is allowed to tackle you.

WHOA WHOA WHOA......D4H said "Dobbs has been significantly more impressive than Rudolph according to almost every observer."

I think you better check your sources, D4H knows more football than anyone.

WHOA WHOA WHOA......D4H said "Dobbs has been significantly more impressive than Rudolph according to almost every observer."

I think you better check your sources, D4H knows more football than anyone.

Practices #6-10

Quarterbacks

Mason Rudolph: 34/54 (63%) 6 TDs 1 INT
Ben Roethlisberger:
30/50 (60%) 8 TDs 0 INTs
Landry Jones: 21/44 (47.7%) 7 TDs 0 INTs
Josh Dobbs: 20/41 (48.8%) 2 TDs 2 INTs

Practices #6-10

Quarterbacks

Ben Roethlisberger: 30/50 (60%) 8 TDs 0 INTs

You've summoned D4H.

FXw1Rd7I31GjXRwDWU3Vjq83ZTcVPlCS_lg.jpg

Reactions: KBVol
INB4 this all gets spun into complaining about how we all want a former Vol to fail in an attempt to deflect.

Practices #6-10

Quarterbacks

was the 2 ints by Dobbs in OT ? He was terrible in OT games

Practices #6-10

Quarterbacks

Oh great you posted unofficial stats being kept by a random blogger. Stats that don't even include yards because he's a guy sitting in the stands who writes for a blog and can't keep up with how many yards each of these completions cover. If you know anything about football you would know that completion percentage is irrelevant unless you also know the yards per pass attempt. Because if one guy is dinking and dunking every play, he's gonna have a high completion percentage but he won't be moving the ball down the field so its irrelevant. Same thing with a guy who has a low completion percentage but is taking shots down the field. He's not gonna be efficient in terms of completion percentage but he'll be racking up the yards. So right there from the jump these numbers mean NOTHING.

Unlike you, I actually follow the blogger whose numbers you posted closely on Twitter. I also read his blog postings about the Steelers practices. First of all, the numbers you posted are just of the last 5 practices. The Steelers have already had 10 practices this training camp. So those numbers only cover 50% of what has happened thus far during camp. If you look up those same numbers from the first 5 practices you will see that my initial post about Mason Rudolph not being close to Josh Dobbs was accurate. Good for Rudolph he's picked things up these last 5 practices while Dobbs has slightly struggled. You will see that when you combine all 10 practices, that the completion percentage numbers are a wash (both guys are at 56% passing). 2018 Steelers Training Camp Statistical Recap: First 10 Practices - Steelers Depot

Now onto the TD discrepancy. The blogger you got this info from is named Alex Kozora. Let me give you some context on how most of the TD numbers you posted are calculated. At the start of every practice, the Steelers do this thing called 7 shots. Its basically a goal line drill where they try to score as many TDs as they can in 7 tries from the 2 yard line. If you read his blog postings (like I do) you will see that Dobbs has scored several rushing TDs during the 7 shots period running the ball. For some reason the blogger (Alex Kozora) has a rule where he says he doesn't count rushing TDs by the QB in his tabulation of these stats. The thinking being that since they can't get hit, the rushing production should not count. Now all of us who have watched Dobbs in college know he's a monster running the ball near the goal line. He scored many a TD for Tennessee rushing the ball near the goal line. And he proved to be pretty unstoppable whenever he ran the ball in those situations. The TD number for Dobbs would be much higher if this blogger counted rushing TDs by the QBs in his numbers.

I should also note that during team drills Dobbs has also been rushing for TDs. He did it a couple of practices ago during a 2 minute drill. He ran it in from about 15 yards out for a TD. Mike Tomlin blew the whistle said that rushing TD didn't count and made Dobbs have to pass to score a TD during the 2 minute drill. So even in practice, the Steelers are kinda limiting what is a HUGE part of Dobbs game. This is why the preseason games will be a far better judge of exactly who will be the backup to Big Ben than stats from 10 practices by a blogger. In the preseason games Dobbs runs it in for a TD, the refs won't be taking that score off the board cause he didn't pass it in. Dobbs legs will be a big factor this preseason. Just watch.

Oh great you posted unofficial stats being kept by a random blogger. Stats that don't even include yards because he's a guy sitting in the stands who writes for a blog and can't keep up with how many yards each of these completions cover. If you know anything about football you would know that completion percentage is irrelevant unless you also know the yards per pass attempt. Because if one guy is dinking and dunking every play, he's gonna have a high completion percentage but he won't be moving the ball down the field so its irrelevant. Same thing with a guy who has a low completion percentage but is taking shots down the field. He's not gonna be efficient in terms of completion percentage but he'll be racking up the yards. So right there from the jump these numbers mean NOTHING.

Unlike you, I actually follow the blogger whose numbers you posted closely on Twitter. I also read his blog postings about the Steelers practices. First of all, the numbers you posted are just of the last 5 practices. The Steelers have already had 10 practices this training camp. So those numbers only cover 50% of what has happened thus far during camp. If you look up those same numbers from the first 5 practices you will see that my initial post about Mason Rudolph not being close to Josh Dobbs was accurate. Good for Rudolph he's picked things up these last 5 practices while Dobbs has slightly struggled. You will see that when you combine all 10 practices, that the completion percentage numbers are a wash (both guys are at 56% passing). 2018 Steelers Training Camp Statistical Recap: First 10 Practices - Steelers Depot

Now onto the TD discrepancy. The blogger you got this info from is named Alex Kozora. Let me give you some context on how most of the TD numbers you posted are calculated. At the start of every practice, the Steelers do this thing called 7 shots. Its basically a goal line drill where they try to score as many TDs as they can in 7 tries from the 2 yard line. If you read his blog postings (like I do) you will see that Dobbs has scored several rushing TDs during the 7 shots period running the ball. For some reason the blogger (Alex Kozora) has a rule where he says he doesn't count rushing TDs by the QB in his tabulation of these stats. The thinking being that since they can't get hit, the rushing production should not count. Now all of us who have watched Dobbs in college know he's a monster running the ball near the goal line. He scored many a TD for Tennessee rushing the ball near the goal line. And he proved to be pretty unstoppable whenever he ran the ball in those situations. The TD number for Dobbs would be much higher if this blogger counted rushing TDs by the QBs in his numbers.

I should also note that during team drills Dobbs has also been rushing for TDs. He did it a couple of practices ago during a 2 minute drill. He ran it in from about 15 yards out for a TD. Mike Tomlin blew the whistle said that rushing TD didn't count and made Dobbs have to pass to score a TD during the 2 minute drill. So even in practice, the Steelers are kinda limiting what is a HUGE part of Dobbs game. This is why the preseason games will be a far better judge of exactly who will be the backup to Big Ben than stats from 10 practices by a blogger. In the preseason games Dobbs runs it in for a TD, the refs won't be taking that score off the board cause he didn't pass it in. Dobbs legs will be a big factor this preseason. Just watch.

When you have to try that hard to make such a weak argument you know you're in a tough position. It's difficult on you, we get it. You should have read far enough to catch my next post which is really all that matters at this point.

Eh, it's going to be games that bring about the most realistic evaluations but it does show how this idea that Dobbs has been killing it in camp, vs Rudolph or anyone else, is a simply unsupportable observation.

I can't wait to bump this in a few weeks when you try and spin why preseason games don't mean anything. We all know that is coming next from you.

I can't wait to bump this in a few weeks when you try and spin why preseason games don't mean anything. We all know that is coming next from you.

Preseason games mean NOTHING when it comes to how well someone will play in the regular season. Last year Deshaun Watson had a very unremarkable preseason and yet killed it during the regular season. Same with Kareem Hunt. We barely heard from him during the preseason then he turned into the monster the first half of the regular season. So in that context they mean nothing.

However, I do know that the preseason games will matter greatly as to Dobbs standing on the Steelers. When have I ever denied that?

My thing has always been that I know how this story ends. I may not have the journey clear, but I know how it ends. Dobbs story will end with being the GREATEST QB of all-time. Who knows how exactly that journey will go. But the ending is assured.

When you have to try that hard to make such a weak argument you know you're in a tough position. It's difficult on you, we get it. You should have read far enough to catch my next post which is really all that matters at this point.

You might just be reading what one guy blogger is saying. I've followed every mention of the Steelers camp this year. And when you look at the TOTALITY of people who have been commentating about Steelers camp, Dobbs has been the most impressive QB because he's been making the most HUGE plays. His completion percentage might not show it because he isn't playing dink and dunk football. He's been throwing the ball deep and making huge chunk plays.

You see a lot more mentions of Dobbs throwing impressive deep balls than you do hear from Landry Jones (Mr. Dink and Dunk) as well as Mason Rudolph.

You might just be reading what one guy blogger is saying. I've followed every mention of the Steelers camp this year. And when you look at the TOTALITY of people who have been commentating about Steelers camp, Dobbs has been the most impressive QB because he's been making the most HUGE plays. His completion percentage might not show it because he isn't playing dink and dunk football. He's been throwing the ball deep and making huge chunk plays.

You see a lot more mentions of Dobbs throwing impressive deep balls than you do hear from Landry Jones (Mr. Dink and Dunk) as well as Mason Rudolph.

You'd be much better served keeping quiet when you're forced to fabricate a narrative as you've been doing here. What you need to keep in mind:

Rudolph is a rookie and his expectations will be viewed accordingly. He's being graded on a curve by the Steelers brain trust. By every metric available to this point Rudolph is doing fine.

Obscured by your feverish attempts to deflect what a rookie is doing the real concern for you should be there's no indication (at this point) that he's made any significant push to get past Jones. Dobbs isn't a rookie and the expectations for him are different. For YOUR stated expectations Jones should be the one trying to fend off Rudolph at this point with Josh safely ensconced at #2. That's not happened.

Josh needs to have an impressive preseason. Not "good"...impressive. (barring Rudolph straight up crapping the bed in game situations) And nobody cares about what you "think" is going to happen. You need things to stop happening in your head and start happening on the field.

Reactions: butchna
Another ROFL from D4H; he posts random tweets from “random” people, that don’t even say what he asserts they say. Then whines that another source is a “random blogger” because it doesn’t help his cause.

Keep the funny coming, you’re getting more desperate with each post.

Obscured by your feverish attempts to deflect what a rookie is doing the real concern for you should be there's no indication (at this point) that he's made any significant push to get past Jones.

This.

Rudolph is irrelevant to Dobbs. Barring some kind of season-ending injury over the next few weeks, Rudolph's roster spot is guaranteed. If Dobbs is going to earn a spot on the Steelers' 53-man roster, it will be because he beat out Jones. And he has to do so pretty convincingly, because the Steelers can try to put Dobbs on the practice squad. They can't do the same with Jones.

This.

Rudolph is irrelevant to Dobbs. Barring some kind of season-ending injury over the next few weeks, Rudolph's roster spot is guaranteed. If Dobbs is going to earn a spot on the Steelers' 53-man roster, it will be because he beat out Jones. And he has to do so pretty convincingly, because the Steelers can try to put Dobbs on the practice squad. They can't do the same with Jones.
Yeah, I think Dobbs ending up on the practice squad is a very high probability. Could end up good for him though as any team can claim him if they have a need for a backup. I don't think there is any scenario that has them cutting him though. He will need to have a very, very good preseason and impress.

You'd be much better served keeping quiet when you're forced to fabricate a narrative as you've been doing here. What you need to keep in mind:

Rudolph is a rookie and his expectations will be viewed accordingly. He's being graded on a curve by the Steelers brain trust. By every metric available to this point Rudolph is doing fine.

Obscured by your feverish attempts to deflect what a rookie is doing the real concern for you should be there's no indication (at this point) that he's made any significant push to get past Jones. Dobbs isn't a rookie and the expectations for him are different. For YOUR stated expectations Jones should be the one trying to fend off Rudolph at this point with Josh safely ensconced at #2. That's not happened.

Josh needs to have an impressive preseason. Not "good"...impressive. (barring Rudolph straight up crapping the bed in game situations) And nobody cares about what you "think" is going to happen. You need things to stop happening in your head and start happening on the field.

Rudolph is the same age as Dobbs. They are BOTH 23 years old. One was drafted in the 3rd round. The other in the 4th round. The way you guys make it sound, Dobbs is some grizzled vet who is an undrafted player while Rudolph is some young 21 year old 1st round rookie.

These 2 are in the same position. There SHOULD be no difference in their expectations. With that said, you might be right about the Steelers favoring Rudolph more and thus giving him more leeway. However, I will be proven right in the end regardless of what the Steelers do. Mason Rudolph is a Trent Edwards/Nick Foles caliber NFL QB. He will be a backup most of his career with maybe one or two good years as a starter. Josh Dobbs is a Warren Moon/Randall Cunningham caliber NFL QB. He will be a future Hall of Famer. Whether that happens with the Steelers or another team remains to be seen.

Rudolph is the same age as Dobbs. They are BOTH 23 years old. One was drafted in the 3rd round. The other in the 4th round. The way you guys make it sound, Dobbs is some grizzled vet who is an undrafted player while Rudolph is some young 21 year old 1st round rookie.

These 2 are in the same position. There SHOULD be no difference in their expectations. With that said, you might be right about the Steelers favoring Rudolph more and thus giving him more leeway. However, I will be proven right in the end regardless of what the Steelers do. Mason Rudolph is a Trent Edwards/Nick Foles caliber NFL QB. He will be a backup most of his career with maybe one or two good years as a starter. Josh Dobbs is a Warren Moon/Randall Cunningham caliber NFL QB. He will be a future Hall of Famer. Whether that happens with the Steelers or another team remains to be seen.

As a runner, Cunningham makes sense. As a passer, which is FAR more important in the NFL, there is NOTHING you can point to to justify the statement of Dobbs being a Cunningham/Moon type player. He isn't in the same universe as Moon was. Moon had smooth mechanics, refined in the CFL then showed off in the NFL, and VERY VERY good pocket instincts and the ability to read a defense at the NFL level. That isn't Dobbs and you can't point to one thing to prove that wrong

Oh look...more opinionated blather without a shred of vettable/demonstrable backing. Look man, you need this...lots and lots more this:

You need things to stop happening in your head and start happening on the field.

You posted a tweet from Aug 5 and all it says is he's made some nice throws. Nothing about accuracy, actual stats, nothing, which no matter how much you protest against is way more important than making some cool deep throws.

The "random blogger" post is from yesterday.

For being such a great scout, you don't seem to understand how QBs in the NFL are evaulated. Jeff George had a cannon of an arm. Guess who isn't remembered as a great QB? Jeff George.

VN Store

Back