John Pennington's gut says Petrino

If UT hires Petrino, I will gladly increase my donation to make up for yours.

Lets Hope and pray we get Petrino.

Nobody that cares about the actual reputation and brand of the University of Tennessee could want that human urinal to be the face that most publicly represents us. Have you ever actually been in any building on campus other than the stadium and the UC?

I'm going to assume that this would break down exactly along the same lines as when we argued on this board about firing Bruce Pearl -- almost all the alums were horrified about the ethics violations and wanted him out, and all the Vols-as-just-another-sports-team fans figured there had to be a way to weather the storm because winning was all that mattered.

Reactions: 2 people
Petrino is not a maniac. He is an amoral, cowardly, hypocritical, dictatorial narcissist. He has no business being employed by any school to oversee young men, and his personality is too weak to coach professional, grownup players. He can only succeed in situations where he can dominate kids. If we hire that SOB, I won't give a dime to UTK the whole time he's employed. I won't buy so much as a t-shirt.

A-men.

Nobody that cares about the actual reputation and brand of the University of Tennessee could want that human urinal to be the face that most publicly represents us. Have you ever actually been in any building on campus other than the stadium and the UC?

I'm going to assume that this would break down exactly along the same lines as when we argued on this board about firing Bruce Pearl -- almost all the alums were horrified about the ethics violations and wanted him out, and all the Vols-as-just-another-sports-team fans figured there had to be a way to weather the storm because winning was all that mattered.

The fact of the matter is that in big time athletics winning is what matters most. In our case much of the revenue for other sports is dependant on the football program.

In a perfect world you would have in one man the coaching prowess of Nick Saban and the morals of Jimmy Carter.
However, we all know this combination doesnt exist. Not any more it doesnt.

Just like in the case of John Calipari, sometimes the man that can deliver results on the field, the man who can lead you to the promissed land, the man who can win, isnt necessarily who you would prefer to be your poster boy.

You pick your poison, we need to sell out games again, we need to be relevant again, we need to win again.

Gruden is the obvious choice if he will come, however if you want to mitigate your risk, I believe that Bobby Petrino is the next best thing to a sure bet when winning is at such a premium.

The fact of the matter is that in big time athletics winning is what matters most. In our case much of the revenue for other sports is dependant on the football program.

In a perfect world you would have in one man the coaching prowess of Nick Saban and the morals of Jimmy Carter.
However, we all know this combination doesnt exist. Not any more it doesnt.

Just like in the case of John Calipari, sometimes the man that can deliver results on the field, the man who can lead you to the promissed land, the man who can win, isnt necessarily who you would prefer to be your poster boy.

You pick your poison, we need to sell out games again, we need to be relevant again, we need to win again.

Gruden is the obvious choice if he will come, however if you want to mitigate your risk, I believe that Bobby Petrino is the next best thing to a sure bet when winning is at such a premium.

No, it's not. The University is what matters most. Hiring Bobby Petrino would further disgrace the University, which has already been torpedoed in recent years by coaches who put winning first. Maybe it didn't make you sick to watch Hostessgate crawl across the bottom of ESPN, but it did me.

Comparing Petrino to Saban and Calipari is just dumb. Petrino is probably the most blatantly, repeatedly, widely morally bankrupt personage in North American sports. There's a thousand miles between someone like Calipari and a disgrace like Petrino. You can't hire him and pretend to care anything at all about winning the right way.

Which is fine for a fan like you, who doesn't give a crap about the school as long as it provides him with a place to park and a few bathrooms on the way the game. It means more than that to some of us.

Your way off base about your perception of Petrino.
What did he do that was so wrong?

Cheated on his wife? Who cares most men in his position of power do. Including Phil Fulmer when he was head coach.

Leave Atlanta in the middle of the night? Agreed not the classiest thing to do but so what..

Let Auburn fly him to down to talk to them while Tubbs was still coaching? big deal, I bet representitives of UT are speaking with people today about the job.

Again, tell me what he did to deserve th adjectives with which you describe him.

Child Molester? No
Rapist? No
Murderer ? No
NCAA rules violater ? No

Winner? Yes
Proven Winner? Yes
Guaranteed Winner ? Yes
Demonstrated the ability to play by the rules ? Yes
Absent of any previous NCAA issues ? Yes

And BTW yes, winning is the most important...

When you can buy lower level 50 yard line tickets for $50 to an Alabama game it proves that winning is the most important. If being a class act and well respected as a human was paramount then Neyland would be sold out every game.

So you think as long as someone isn't a child molester, rapist, murder, or NCAA violator, anything else goes. There's no point arguing about Petrino's morality with someone who's apparently as morally bankrupt as he is.

The University of Tennessee is where I became a man, where my dad met my mom, and where I met my wife. To you, it's just another sports team. I care immensely about the school. You don't give a crap about it. This is a useless conversation.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
No, it's not. The University is what matters most. Hiring Bobby Petrino would further disgrace the University, which has already been torpedoed in recent years by coaches who put winning first. Maybe it didn't make you sick to watch Hostessgate crawl across the bottom of ESPN, but it did me.

Comparing Petrino to Saban and Calipari is just dumb. Petrino is probably the most blatantly, repeatedly, widely morally bankrupt personage in North American sports. There's a thousand miles between someone like Calipari and a disgrace like Petrino. You can't hire him and pretend to care anything at all about winning the right way.

Which is fine for a fan like you, who doesn't give a crap about the school as long as it provides him with a place to park and a few bathrooms on the way the game. It means more than that to some of us.

This post is spot on with what I feel. I wonder if there's a difference in how fans feel about Petrino based on their association to the university (sidewalk alumni/alumni). I would imagine your average Cletus loves the hire.

I think he's a scumbag. UT would get whatever they deserved (because it would happen eventually) if they hire him.

This post is spot on with what I feel. I wonder if there's a difference in how fans feel about Petrino based on their association to the university (sidewalk alumni/alumni). I would imagine your average Cletus loves the hire.

I think he's a scumbag. UT would get whatever they deserved (because it would happen eventually) if they hire him.

In all the time I've been posting on this board, the only time you see a real difference between the alumni and the sidewalk alumni is when the ethical and academic issues come up. The sidewalk alums usually don't give a crap about any of it; they want us to cut as close to the line as we can get away with. The alums are always horrified about it. That seems to be the unbridgeable gap -- as it is in this case. The Cletuses would be delirious to get Petrino. Every UT alum I know would be disgusted.

Just noticed your Falcons and Braves symbols. All I needed to Know. You Falcons fans are still butt sore over him leaving you like an ugly girlfriend.

Oh yes, because the Falcons are SO much worse off now without Petrino. They're really suffering, aren't they?:eek:lol:

I doubt that has much to do with it at this point. The majority of his disdain is directly associated with "morality" issues as opposed to Petrino leaving the Falcons.

Last edited:
Oh yes, because the Falcons are SO much worse off now without Petrino. They're really suffering, aren't they?:eek:lol:

I doubt that has much to do with it at this point.

Falcons fans weren't unhappy that Petrino was gone, because it was obvious that he was completely out of element trying to coach grown professional men. He was a terrible NFL coach. He left in an appallingly gutless, cowardly way, but we were still all happy that he was gone. And obviously it has worked out even better than we'd hoped possible.

Reactions: 1 person
He didn't leave Arky. They fired him for a ridiculous reason, and they're paying for it.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

It wasn't for a ridiculous reason.

I don't give a rat's rear whether you think he's scum for cheating multiple times on his wife vs whether you don't much care vs whether you're sick with jealousy at his love life. The fact is that he broke every rule in the book by hiring his snuggle-bunny into a University (=state employee) job.

NCAA sports are a high-compliance field, or at least, there has to be a pretend-acknowledgement of compliance issues. When a head coach breaks forty-'leven hiring rules as he did, it's like putting a plate of raw steak out and calling the NCAA for snackies. Do we really want to just set aside a pair of rooms for permanent NCAA visitors on The Hill?

Not to mention that giving her a UA job is just so damn stupid as to leave me breathless. How the hell did he think he would get away with it? Would you really want someone as head coach of the Volunteers who seems to be so lacking in common sense, or at least survival instincts?

Whoever was going on about 'praying and hoping we get Petrino' is a straight up fool.

...just sayin'.

In all the time I've been posting on this board, the only time you see a real difference between the alumni and the sidewalk alumni is when the ethical and academic issues come up. The sidewalk alums usually don't give a crap about any of it; they want us to cut as close to the line as we can get away with. The alums are always horrified about it. That seems to be the unbridgeable gap -- as it is in this case. The Cletuses would be delirious to get Petrino. Every UT alum I know would be disgusted.

If I may, I'm what you would call your "average Cletus". I am a 9th generation Tennesseean. I have a technical school education. I did not attend the university of Tennessee. That being said, we "Cletus's" feel like this university represents our heritage just as much as rc cola and moon pies. We grew up buying the merchandise, going to the games, loving John Ward, buying season tickets, loathing Alabama, and just being proud to wear orange. So don't think for a second that just because we don't have a piece of paper from there that our blood don't run orange. My personal opinion of Petrino is that he is a cancer to every program he touches and I want him as far away from MINE as he can get!

Reactions: 3 people
So you think as long as someone isn't a child molester, rapist, murder, or NCAA violator, anything else goes. There's no point arguing about Petrino's morality with someone who's apparently as morally bankrupt as he is.

The University of Tennessee is where I became a man, where my dad met my mom, and where I met my wife. To you, it's just another sports team. I care immensely about the school. You don't give a crap about it. This is a useless conversation.

I graduated from the University of Tennessee..just because I wouldn't run away screaming if Petrino lands the coaching job doesn't mean I don't 'give a crap' about the university.

Newsflash: he isn't the first man in history to lie nor is he the first man in history to cheat.

Reactions: 2 people
If the decision makers think Petrino is the best fit, then there is no hope for this program until those decision makers are gone.

Petrino is the name at Auburn just as much if not more so than Gruden is the name at UT. That is all they are talking about. Apparently Barners are crying that Slive has put a mark on the Petrino name warning schools not to hire the guy.

Personally I think petrino has jumped the shark. I think there are better options out there.

Wow. Some of you guys just dont get it.
Get this...

Petrino may be an ahole, but is the BEST coach that we can get assuming Gruden doesn't come.

UT isn't exactly what it used to be. With another coaching failure and four more years down the road, this once proud program will be considered on the level of the Mississippi schools.

You guys seem to not understand, nor do you remember the last two times there was a head football coaching vacancy at OUR University of Tennessee, Mike Hamilton was flying all over the map begging someone to take the job.

You want a choir boy with Bill Belechik coaching skills to come in here. You act as if we have a line of proven candidates just frothing at the mouth to come here and coach.

***NEWS FLASH***

We Don't...

Again, do you want to be headed back to Atlanta in your lifetime? Or do you want to know that you have a coach with a great moral compass ? If its the latter than I suggest you pressure DH to just keep Dooley.

We think so highly of OUR University. Past coaching searches have proven that this job isn't as desirable as we would love to believe.

Again, Petrino is not a great human, but he is an outstanding football coach. He can and he does win. He is the sure bet.

Can we afford to roll the dice?

Just noticed your Falcons and Braves symbols. All I needed to Know. You Falcons fans are still butt sore over him leaving you like an ugly girlfriend.

Well, then i guess that makes you the needy chick with low self esteem that thinks she can change somebody despite what your friends tell you because you're so desperate to be loved.

Tortured analogy I know, but trust me. You don't want this guy.

I've heard enough to know that Petrino is on a big board somewhere.

I can't say that I'll turn my fan card in, but have you guys ever seen "Let the Right One In"?

I wouldn't want to be the one cleaning up the mess when he leaves.

Again, Petrino is not a great human, but he is an outstanding football coach. He can and he does win. He is the sure bet.

I bet those same words were spoken in the Arkansas AD office before hiring him. Then he created a PR, HR and legal grease fire and proved he wasn't such a sure thing.

Having a mistress and riding around with her on the back of a motorcycle and not wearing a helmet is merely dumb.

Putting your mistress on a public payroll should make one radioactive.

Yep

VN Store

Back